PDA

View Full Version : Getting into gear.

blacksambo
03/10/2006, 03:20 PM
Does anybody have any experience with the Drive lock-out feature which requires that you step on the brake to get out of Park and into gear. My VX has developed a problem whereby it won'nt go into gear until the engine revs up a bit after a cold start. What needs to be adjusted here?

Joe_Black
03/10/2006, 04:42 PM
Check your ATF level as that's an indicator of low fluid, and the cold temperature exacerbates the issue. Revving the motor increases the sump suction so you can build pressure.

blacksambo
03/13/2006, 01:54 PM
Many thanks for the smart thinking on the ATF level, I'll check it out immediately.

Joe_Black
03/13/2006, 03:17 PM
Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but was in short supply of time when making the previous post. Make sure you're parked on smooth, level ground when checking the transmission level. The 4L30E doesn't have the handy dipstick, so you have to get under the vehicle and remove a recessed bolt to see if any dribbles out. Kinda screwy, but that's the way of GM who builds that transmission. Make sure to have a catch pan when checking and look in the CD shop manual for the procedure.

E-ZooZoo One
03/15/2006, 08:26 AM
Just adding a VERY IMPORTIANT DETAIL to Joe’s instructions…

While checking the fluid, make sure that your VX is in PARK, with the ENGINE RUNNING --- The fluid level that you’re looking to achieve only takes place when the transmission is circulating the ATF.

If you remove that upper plug with the engine off, it will allow too much fluid to drain out.

Oh yeah – one more thing:
Adding fluid to an Isuzu automatic can be a real pain in the butt. --- You’ll probably want to get a gallon jug kit of ATF, one that comes with a pump-action handle and a filler tube attachment.

HTH

Ruflyf
03/15/2006, 09:35 AM
btw Joe has a excellent guide to changing the atf on on the homepage

LITTLELAURIE
03/15/2006, 01:21 PM
Hi blacksambo!
I was wondering if you have the hand brake on, along with your foot brake, when shifting out of park? I had issues with my vx also, when shifting out of park, into gear, (especially when my vx was cold). My vx would make a loud, "THUMP", type of sound, when it actually moved into gear. I found out that you have to have the Foot AND Hand brake on, at the same time, in order to shift smoothly,(w/o a struggle),out of park. I thought there was something wrong with my vx!

blacksambo
03/16/2006, 11:30 AM
Thank you all for the sound advice. It's really great working with this group on service, or any VX issues. The positive attitude of the VX community is a truly rare and wonderful thing. The VX fleet will survive well into the future with this type of conscience support.