PDA

View Full Version : ride too rough

Prozach
03/10/2006, 12:41 PM
peops,

Just got a 2001 VX, yellow, nice. The ride is very rough. so rough that it seems like the VX is going to bounce right off the road. Almost like the only suspension is the air in the tires.

Since I'm new to the VX, I dont know if this is normal and I should get used to it. Or did the previous owner put a stiff suspension system in for better performance?

Does anyone know how the stock suspension makes the ride feel? Because this is the roughest riding vehicle I have ever been in. Over bumps it sounds like the vehicle is about to break in half.

please help.

Zach

VehiGAZ
03/10/2006, 01:33 PM
Zach, if you think the ride is BOUNCY (rather than HARD) then to the contrary, a previous owner may have put in a SOFTER set of shocks. That, or the original shocks are dead and need replacing (there are MANY threads on the site regarding alternate suspensions). Remember - a vehicle rides on its springs, which will bounce the body around like crazy, except that the shocks are dampening the spring-like motion. If the shocks aren't doing their job, or are not up to the job, then you will get more bounciness than acceptable. By way of example, have you ever noticed a lowered car whose back end is bouncing up and down just driving down a smooth highway? That's because the kid who's driving it put very stiff sport springs under there, but didn't have the money for new shocks too, so he kept the originals, which are not strong enough to dampen the new springs. That's why those kids run off the road - dangerous suspensions!

The stock VX shocks are very, very tightly valved to match the very, very stiff springs the truck rides on. The stock shocks have a small side-arm remote reservoir that comes off the top of the shock, right by the upper mount. Look under your VX and see if you can see these remote reservoirs (they are maybe 2-3" long and in inch in DIA).

If you see the reservoirs, next check to see if the shocks or reservoirs appear to be leaking fluid anywhere. You won't necessarily see any evidence of that, but you probably will. If you see leakage, they need to be replaced.

If you don't see the reservoirs, then you have a non-original set of shocks in there. They are probably too soft for the stiff springs, which means you get too much spring action. Time to replace with something stronger.

Unfortunately, the OEM shocks are ludicrously expensive (like around $425 each), so many people here have opted for aftermarket shocks - Rancho 9000 adjustables and Bilstein B46's seem to be the favored choices (I'm a Bilstein man myself).

If you have non-original springs, then all bets are off.

Good luck!