PDA

View Full Version : Squeek/Rattle Help

sagwagon
04/13/2003, 06:39 AM
Finally got my '99 VX and it's a keeper! Fun to drive, runs well and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I have a squeek in the front and a rattle in the rear. (my wife initially thought I was addressing my sex life.) Anyway, crawled under and couldn't find anything loose, leaking or out of order that I could tell. Any suggestions? Could the squeek be the bushings thing that was a recent group buy on a thread? Rear rattle over even minor bumps seems to be coming from the passenger side rear. Let me know of your experiences, what you might check for and possible problem solving ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Steve

Moncha
04/13/2003, 07:05 AM
Glad to see you finally got your truck!!

There is two common reasons for a front area squeak;

#1) The rubber pads located on each side of the fenders supporting the hood can become dry and dirty, causing a squeak.

#2) The swaybar bushings that were offered.

The rattle could be one of the most common reasons, which is the rear seat backs. Fold them down and see if it goes away. If it does an easy way to fix it is to recline them just by 1 notch or more. For some reason, if they are in the full upright position, they can rattle.

See if that works...

Good luck with your new baby!!

coachreed
04/13/2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by sagwagon
Rear rattle over even minor bumps seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.

Just a thought... I noticed today when changing a flat freakin tire (first one I have EVER had to change on my own car in over 10 years!) that the lug wrench in the rear passenger side cubby hole could be rattling as it lays over onto the plastic panel. There is a little foam pad there that is probably supposed to keep that from happening, but mine is kinda dry-rotted... go figure... its only a few years old! Just a thought.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

sagwagon
04/13/2003, 07:58 PM
Scott / Randy; Thanks for the tips. Just got in from a 440 mile trip to help a brother-in-law move today but will check those things out tomorrow. I'm on spring break this week (I'm a school social worker) and will enjoy having the time to become more acquainted with my VX. Randy, I think we need to have a mid-mo meet. Any interest? By the way, saw a white ironman heading on I-70 east near Effingham, IL today. I'll let you know what I find and if I have success on problem solving. Until then, if you or anyone else has any other suggestions, post away!

coachreed
04/14/2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by sagwagon
Randy, I think we need to have a mid-mo meet. Any interest?

I might be up to that sometime. Are you familiar with the ORV park around Columbia? I wonder if its JUST for motorcycles and stuff, or if its REALLY an OFF-ROAD VEHICLE park? Its been ages since I last went there, and so I can't recall what the deal is out there. Anywho... lemme know if you know of anyplace to go play in the dirt between there and here... heck, I'm not against a road trip... if theres something good out in the STL area, I just might come there. BTW, are you aware that your profile says St. Charkes? I assume you mean St. Charles, right? TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

PBR
04/14/2003, 03:09 PM
I have the right rear rattle too, its not the lug wrench or the spare tire. It sounds like it is coming from inside the panel when you hop over bumps in the road. Anyone else have any ideas? Also have the whine in the rear at 60-70 mph, dealer replaced right rear wheel bearing, going to go after the left rear, hopefully that will get it. If not it must be differential.

Moncha
04/14/2003, 03:50 PM
I know it sounds silly but, did you lay your rear seat backs down?

AnalogVX
04/14/2003, 03:56 PM
Ya know, I have the same rattle too. More like a thud on the paasenger rear side when I go over just the right bumps. Not all the time. I thought about the tire iron in the cubby hole too and put a partial roll of paper shop towels in there but it still persists. I just chalked it off to one of those noises that come with a truck. I was also thnking about crawling under that side and looking at to gasoline filler neck/tube. It is in the right area and may be wiggling around enough to make a noise. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
I tried to lay the seat down too. It doesn't seem to matter what position it is in.

coachreed
04/14/2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
I know it sounds silly but, did you lay your rear seat backs down?

Just curious what your talking bout Moncha... do the seats make a rattling noise if not laid back? I have heard a thud a time or two, but didn't think anything of it. I didn't hear it at all while off roading over the weekend, so I didn't think much about it when I first replied to this thread. Just curious.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Leah
04/14/2003, 09:17 PM
The front end squeak in my VX turned out to be the hood latch. When it's loose, the metal latch squeaks against the metal hoop.

As for the rear, check your back door latch. On the back door itself, you will find an adjustment wedge. Loosen it, slide the wedge forward, and tighten it back down. That should make the rear door close more securely.

PBR
04/15/2003, 06:07 AM
Thanks I will try the wedge, it definetly is nothing to do with the seat or tools, if it is not the latch it is something going on in the right rear panel, I will keep you posted.

sagwagon
04/15/2003, 12:55 PM
Leah; You win the cupie doll! It was both the front hood latch for the squeek and the rear wedge adjustment for the rear. Makes for a world of difference driving it. Many thanks to you and everyone else for their ideas! Having the support of members is great ;Db; . Steve

PBR
04/15/2003, 05:39 PM
Leah, the door latch wasnt it, still got the rattle in the right rear corner, any more ideas?. It sounds like it inside the quarter panel when hopping over minor bumps.

AnalogVX
04/15/2003, 09:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at mine today. Maybe tomorrow.

VehiX
04/15/2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by PBR
Leah, the door latch wasnt it, still got the rattle in the right rear corner, any more ideas?. It sounds like it inside the quarter panel when hopping over minor bumps.

Wrap something around the loop on the floor for the rear seat, there is a little play between the latch and the loop. I did this and also added small bungee cords connected from the poles in the rear head rests to the small latches on both sides of the floor in the back, this cut down noise and rattles considerably in the rear.

I think I may need to adjust the rear door latch a bit too but am hesitant to mess with it. I also removed the spare tire and all jack stand components from the back as well. I don't work far from home and only take that stuff with me on long trips.

All of these things reduced noises for me big time in the back of my VX :D

Leah
04/16/2003, 01:32 AM
Wow! I helped? Whoopie!!!;eekb; ;Db;

brian lenke
04/16/2003, 08:14 PM
i found that the sound described - rattle when going over bumps is coming from too much play in the rear seat floor latch. I have tried several things but only reduce the noise, temporarily. going to try closed cell foam in a thin layer around latch to get some pressure against the loop and kill the slack. squeaks up front during bumps have always come from hood bumpers mounted on the radiator sheetmetal. try twisting 1/2 turn for instant fix, and then try some silicone based lube for long term. worked for me. from az, RONIN

PBR
04/17/2003, 07:21 AM
The rattle is in the right rear quarter panel, the seat latch dosent seem to be the problem, could be something underneath related to suspension, still havent found the source. Anyone else?

Cobrajet
04/17/2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by PBR
The rattle is in the right rear quarter panel, the seat latch dosent seem to be the problem, could be something underneath related to suspension, still havent found the source. Anyone else?

I have the EXACT same clunk in my right rear quarter panel when going over certain bumps. It is NOT the rear seat, the back door, or the jack handle -- I've tried them all. I thought someone had once narrowed it down to the rear springs not properly seating in the mounts. I'd like to try swapping the rear springs and shocks, left to right, to see if it makes a difference. I just never seem to get a round to it.

I need to have someone drive around a parking lot with that perfect speed bump so I can crawl around the back until I pinpoint the source. Too bad my grandson is only five, he'd love to drive the VX. And my two daughters have a life, so they're never around. Maybe when we're all at Hooters we can take spin around the lot and put this thing to rest! It's one of the few gripes I have about my VX.

PBR
04/17/2003, 06:26 PM
You got it the same thing I have, someone must have an answer, it obvously is a common problem, I am putting with the dealer next week to see if we can find it.

VehiX
04/17/2003, 07:15 PM
Ok , well let me ask you this....as odd as it may seem does this clunk seem to only happen in cold weather?

I have this odd issue where I get a clunk from the suspension but ONLY when it is cold out (30 degrees or below) as soon as it warms up the suspension seems fine and the clunk is gone!!!

Figure that one out :confused:

PBR
04/18/2003, 05:42 AM
I live in Florida so temperature not a factor

TrooperCROSS
04/24/2003, 07:46 AM
Not that it helps much, but I have the same issue on my 2000. It does seems to be worse when the weather is cold. Can't wait until someone figures it out.

Andrey
04/24/2003, 08:20 PM
Same noise here. After this winter I've noticed this noise coming from the back right rear quarter and my rearend seems to bounce a bit more so my assumption is that right shock had failed and making noise. I've already replaced front left shock as it had failed at 17 K ! So, not sure but there is a possibility that schocks are going on '99 models... just a thought.

RobVX
07/30/2003, 03:18 PM
Hey PBR, inquiring minds want to know:

Did you ever put your VX in the shop for the passenger side rattle problem? Mine has developed what sounds to be a similar (if not exactly the same) problem.

My VX has started to make a metalic "buzz" /rattle (like something is loose and is vibrating) at certain speeds somewhere inside the plastic covers in the interior of the passenger side. Its not the rear seat (its out), the spare tire area, or the lug wrench/jack components everyone says to look at as suspects. I ran a search on the board and it is obvious that this is common to alot of VX's. Just wondering if anyone has ever figured out what the heck it is?

I've tried not driving at those certain speeds...not a very good solution. Rob A.

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/30/2003, 07:14 PM
sorry....but, If I lived in Texas and heard a "buzz"/rattle sound coming from my VX...I'd be thinking:

1) rattler!

2) who ya gonna call??? Maybe that Crocodile Hunter guy??

3) moving to Phoenix, Arizona where they only have "silent" tarantulas....

Clyde
10/13/2003, 10:01 AM
Has anyone ever found out other possible things that cause the rattling in the passenger side rear? My VX is doing the same thing and I was wondering if it was anything that would cause problems with driveability? Not to mention it drives me up a wall. Hearing that it could possibly be the rear spring not seating well makes me worry. That thing is under a lot of pressure and if it were to come flying out would definitely cause a lot of trouble.

Anita
10/13/2003, 11:35 AM
This is a longshot but once I had a rattle coming from the back and it was the strap which hangs from the back of the passenger seat. It wasnt snapped in place and managed to make a rattlling sound as I drove at certain speeds.

Triathlete
10/13/2003, 11:48 AM
Clyde,
If that rattle is when you hit bumps check your jack handle/lug bar. It is in the rear passenger side area and will rattle if loose. I put a piece of foam under mine.:smack:

itsaysjack
10/13/2003, 01:46 PM
wow...and i thought i was the only one with this rear rattle....it happens when i hit a bump....IT'S THE REAR DOOR LATCH!

i was rear ended when my car was brand new (i only had 3,300 miles on it) i've had it back to the bodyshop, the dealer several times because of the ratte.

i tried all the suggestions posted above, pad on jack handle, the strap for the seat, seat hinges, rear door lock mechanism and riding in the back till i was ready to barf.

i tried putting some foam into the door wedge to snug up the fit...this helped a little...previously i had moved the door wedge forward but it still rattled.....

finally i tried adjusting the wedge again. this time i moved the top of the wedge forward and the bottom back. so it points down slightly. this helped alot!!! i still use a thin (1/8") thick piece of foam (cut gasket material) pushed into the wedge "reciever" and for the first time the rattle is gone....

stan

Clyde
10/13/2003, 06:49 PM
My rattle is fixed!!! :clap: I fixed both the back seat (tilted them back slightly), fixed the strap and repositioned the lug nut wrench in the side panel tool kit. I did this before I left work from recommendations from others. When I drove home I had no rattles except for when I hit a big bump in the road and the change in the ashtray rattled. I think my rattle was a combination of those things. It's great now. :)

Lightproof
10/14/2003, 06:29 AM
I just received my new VX last week - I don't want to brag, but it has only 900 miles! :yesg:

Anyway, the first thing I noticed while driving was the real annoying squeek or rattle coming from the back. I couldn't reproduce it while standing in the back and moving stuff around with my hands.

After reading this thread, I performed a test: I removed all the jack components, folded the back seat up, took the spare tire cover off, made sure the spare tire was tight - then went for a drive. No change - the squeek was just as loud as ever.

Epiphany! :angel: It's the spare tire. Even though it's tight, it still moves very slightly. The rubber-on-metal makes a nice loud squeeking sound (which can sound like a rattle). Fix:

1. I layed a rag in the bottom of the door, covering the 'cup' that the tire sits in.
2. I stuck some 'felt circles' (large size) around the inside of the door where the rubber touches the metal.
3. Re-installed the tire and tightened it down.

Squeek eliminated!

PWX1
11/22/2003, 11:23 AM
TRIED EVERYTHING MENTIONED- TURNED OUT TO BE DEFECTIVE
"BODY MOUNT" ON INSIDE REAR PASSENGER SIDE PANEL-
JUST A SMALL PART THAT NEEDS TO BE ORDERED- DON'T
LET DEALER TALK YOU INTO ENTIRE PANEL- JUST GET THE
"BODY MOUNT". NOT UNDER WARRANTY BUT- DEALER SHOULD
INSTALL IT FOR FREE IS YOU HAVE A RELATIONSHIP.

PWX1
11/22/2003, 11:26 AM
YOU CAN ELIMINATE SOME OF THE NOISE BY
LIFTING THE TIRE A BIT AS YOU TIGHTEN THE LUG.