PDA

View Full Version : Hello from ZUtah - anyone in the Dayton/Franklin Ohio area that could offer a hand?

jgalt
03/09/2006, 10:56 AM
Hey all - Jim (jgalt) from the 4x4 Wire and ZUtah boards ... I was looking for some assistance in the Dayton/Franklin area of Ohio ... someone that could put some eyes on a VX that I located at a dealer (Midtowne Auto in Franklin, Ohio) and that I'm interested in purchasing (Zu number four for me, but my first VX).

If possible, I'd like to get a VX knowledgeable but dis-interested third-party to take a look and perhaps take it for a test drive to ensure black smoke isn't spewing from the rear-end and the steering wheel doesn't shimmy uncontrollably at highway speeds before I shell out the $$ to purchase it sight unseen (makes me kinda nervous).

I'll need to drive it back home (~1,500 miles) and want to get a sense if it is a good purchase or not. No blame will be placed if it happens to throw a timing belt and I get stuck in the middle of Nebraska. I just want to ensure that its not a POS before I send the $$ and make non-refundable plane reservations.

Anyone? You will have my eternal gratitude and a guaranteed place to crash and a hot meal both before and after ZuZoo if you so desire ... also, if any of you have parts / gear that need to be shipped this way, I'd be happy to take them along for the ride, so please let me know.

Best,

Jim

Todd Adams
03/09/2006, 12:59 PM
Jim,
I hope it works out. I am usually the only VX on the trail.
Todd

TechnoPope
03/09/2006, 01:51 PM
Hello Jim,
There is a slight chance that I will be in Kettering this weekend for some family business. If I can slip away and get down to Franklin, I will. Please PM me with any specifics. I could find little dealership info on the web so an address would be helpful.

Alternatively, there are several nice VXs for sale by site members. You may want to give them some consideration. Check here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Frank

crager34
03/09/2006, 04:03 PM
I'll do it. I am in between projects with nothing to do. Tell me the dealership and I will head up tomorrow.

jgalt
03/09/2006, 05:52 PM
FANTASTIC!!

Thanks Crager (and Frank for your offer too)!

My neighbor is a dealer and has been negotiating this deal for me (good guy - and I'm getting a "wholesale" price :cool: ) and is going to call the dealer in Ohio tomorrow morning to do a "walk-though".

If that checks out, it would be great if you could drive up and give it a once-over and test drive (if it doesn't there's no need for you to waste your time). Cincinnati is kinda far (35+ miles) so if it wouldn't offend you I'd like to compensate you in some way - but we can work that out personally via phone, e-mail or PM ...

Now the details ... the dealer is:

Midtowne Auto
3361 South Dixie Highway
Franklin, OH 45005
Toll Free 1-888-290-5019

I don't have a contact, but will get one from my neighbor tomorrow - he'll let the dealer in OH know that someone will be coming by to inspect and test drive the vehicle.

The vehicle is:

2001 Isuzu VX
Foxfire Red (my fave!)
43,500 miles (relatively low)
VIN: JACCN57X017D00579
Dealer stock no.: D00579
Website: Here (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=191098904&dealer_id=1328802&car_year=2001&search_type=both&make=ISU&distance=0&model=VEHICROSS&address=84106&certified=&advanced=&max_price=&bkms=1141954888051&sort_type=mileageDESC&min_price=&first_record=26&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&pager.offset=25&lang=en&cardist=1452)

My contact info:

Jim Stanchfield
Salt Lake City, UT
home: 801.487.6492
e-mail: jgalt0@peoplepc.com
work: 801.524.2274
e-mail: jstanchfie@zionsbank.com
cell: 801.597.1735

Crager, if you want to phone, e-mail, PM or post your contact info, I'll give you a ring tomorrow morning.

Thank you again SO much for the offer.

Best regards :_beer: ,

Jim

TechnoPope
03/10/2006, 08:20 AM
Hello Jim,
OK. I'll let Crager34 have the fun this time. I hope the deal works out for you. Good luck.
Frank

crager34
03/10/2006, 09:20 AM
Here is the scoop: Car is very clean, but it is on a dealer lot. Everything is in working order, but the windows will be a problem eventually (soon). Front shocks seems just a bit squishy, but aren't a problem yet. Headlight rubber is gone. Looking at the brakes through the wheels....rust...not bad, but it's there and they seem to not be a tight as I would have hoped. It's possible they just need some adjusting, but it could be more....I don't know.

Overall it's in great shape and you shouldn't have any problems driving it home if you get it. 4x4 works fine, engine is clean...pick up is nice, but it is stock. I say that because I have a PV1 muffler and a different air intake, so I have a bit more get-up-n-go with mine. Body looks great with no real visable marks. Once very small paint issue, driver side next to the front glass, but you have to look for it. Cladding is great...spare tire, jack, all there. I didn't check out the CD player, so not sure it that is working correctly or not, but the stock radio works fine. Headliner is in perfect shape. Has the grey/black interior. Seats/armrest/steering wheel leather are all fine. Undercarriage looks fine. Driver front tire was flat when I came up on it and they were surprised, cause they said they just put new tires on it....not sure what the problem there is/was. Tires are 255/55/18, but aren't stock... and i didn't get a look at the brand...sorry. Didn't notice any peeling on the wheels, but I didn't look that hard cause most times that happens on the inside.

Since your trying to get the "dealer" deal then I would say it's worth it. Otherwise I would try and talk them down a grand or so, due to the minor issues with the car. If you have any other questions...just ask.

Good luck.

jgalt
03/10/2006, 01:51 PM
WOW!

You have earned yourself major Kharma points in my book!

Couple of questions:

What did you mean by "Headlight rubber is gone"? Is it a clear rubber cushion over the headlight glass or are we talking about a gasket around the outside that would potentially / or has let water in?

Second question: When you said "undercarriage looks fine", did you mean the frame, rear axle, from a-arms, all of the above?

Thanks again Crager! With your help, I am now the VERY proud owner of a Foxfire Red VX!! I'll be out in your parts within the next week or two to take delivery.

Best regards,

Jim

crager34
03/10/2006, 04:38 PM
Around the headlights there normally sits a rubber gasket/seal. I am not totally sure of it's function, other than to make the front look a bit more seamless, cause the headlights are sealed. My other VX didn't have it and I didn't have any trouble with water in the lights or anything. You can make your own fairly easily if needed (see this site for all your VX "how too" needs).

I got underneath the car and other than normal wear/tear and minor surface rust on some bolts and scratched areas...no dings/dents or anything out of the ordinary. I look for possible leaks old/new where there might be oil stains and such. Again...it's on a dealer lot, so they clean the crap outta them...literally.

Let me know when you get out here and if I am still not on any projects (work) I'll pick you up at the airport..... ya know... kill some time on my end. No problem at all (if I am here). ;)

jgalt
03/10/2006, 05:31 PM
Crager man I really appreciate the offer and all you've done for me, but now it appears that it was all for naught ... :mady:

With your review, I pulled the trigger and my neighbor calls the dealer in Franklin ... no dice ... says he has another buyer willing to pay the full $14.9 ... :_wtf: ... I WAS THIS CLOSE!!!

I especially feel badly for wasting all of your time, gas, etc. Any plans to come to ZuZoo so I can make it up to you?

Oh well, back to the search ... :sighg2:

crager34
03/10/2006, 07:05 PM
No worries. Will do it again if requested. Surely you have seen the Firefox for sale on this board.

jgalt
03/10/2006, 08:07 PM
Surely you have seen the Firefox for sale on this board.

Actually I did just tonight - I've sent Lori and e-mail asking her to contact me so I can pepper her with questions about her VX if its still available.

Thanks again - if there's ever anything I can do to repay the favor, you've got my contact info.

Best,

Jim

IndianaVX
03/20/2006, 07:57 AM
jgalt,
you might push a little more,.....i dont know, but the "othere person willing to pay 14" might be me. i had called a couple of times last week, finding out about the vx. i too was looking for someone to check it out that was closer, and hadnt had any luck.
thank you crager, you helped me out too!
the mica red is what i am looking for also.
so anyway, just wanted you to know.
i dont think i will be looking to buy THIS vx. sigh............

God bless
david

jgalt
03/21/2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks David and no problem on my end - that's the way things go. I've gone outta' my way lately to be kind and helpful and kharma may be finally swinging my way as I found a great deal on this board from a fellow ZU/VX enthusiast.

Best 'o luck on the search,

Jim