PDA

View Full Version : slow starting

etlsport
03/06/2006, 09:17 PM
Ive had my vx for about two weeks... its an 01, 41k miles. friday night i drove it from philly to frederick md (about 150 miles) cruising around 75, then a few short short trips friday night, few short trips saturday without any problems, then saturday night, the vx had been sitting for about an hour and i went to start it and there was a lot of hesitation starting, felt like the battery was dying, i turned it off and it fired up again with no trouble at all,checked the oil the next morning, looked fine..... no other problems during the weekend then tonight itd been sitting for about an hour and a half after about an 18 mile highway trip, had the same problem where it hesitated to start, turned off, turned back on, it was better.. but still not good, didnt feel any power loss driving it.... any ideas? ive got about 12 days left on my dealer warranty.. so if this is the start of something bigger i wanna get it taken care of asap

VehiGAZ
03/07/2006, 05:54 AM
Get that battery tested. Good luck!

Ruflyf
03/07/2006, 07:01 AM
corrosion on the terminals maybe? I dont think its ignition switch related since its making contact. I agree with VehiGAZ, battery or corrosion, maybe battery water lvl.

etlsport
03/07/2006, 07:09 AM
i wasnt sure if it was battery related or not since it seems like it only happens every so often, but ill try cleaning the terminals and then a good battery if that doesnt work.. but just in case.. any other ideas? i was wondering about temperatures because it only seems to happen if i start it up while the engine is between cold and normal running temp

Ldub
03/07/2006, 11:37 AM
From your description I'm not sure if it's turning over slowly or if it's turning over a long time before it fires.
Right after I got mine, It would start right up when cold, but after it warmed up it would crank & crank for 15-20 seconds before it would finally fire.
Took it to the Isuzu shop & they replaced the fuel pressure regulator (they indicated that this wasn't the first time they had seen this prob.)
She's been running great ever since. Hope any of this helps.

Ldub

etlsport
03/07/2006, 12:00 PM
its doing a little of both, cranking for longer than normal (4-7 seconds maybe) then once it turns over it will sputter and sound like its going to die for a second then the rpms will jump and even out.. fuel pressure definately sounds like something that would be causing it, ill have to try giving it some extra gas and see if that helps... thanks for the reply! I'll let you know what I figure out

volume311
03/07/2006, 07:28 PM
Yep, sounds like an FPR. had the same starting/sputtering/stalling problem sometime ago. Part costs ~$50 from St.Charles, but since you're still on the warranty get them to take care of it.

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/08/2006, 07:46 PM
My VX would start up normal when cold (say, after sitting overnight). However, if after you were driving you stopped for gas or hit a store and then went to start it up..it would take 2-3 attempts of cranking over before it would finally start. I too changed the fuel pressure regulator and it has completely resolved the issue. Link below shows the regulator:

http://www.drivewerks.com/cgi-bin/ppexpress/ppe_drivewerks.cgi?command=show_part_page&YEAR=2000&MAKE=IS&MODEL=VEH--001&Category=C&esc_part=Fuel+Pressure+Regulator

etlsport
03/08/2006, 08:52 PM
awesome, thanks to everyone who replied!... anyone know how to replace the fuel pressure regulator? haha or is it worth just taking to the dealer

Tone
03/09/2006, 06:13 AM
Buy a good quality internal retaining ring set of pliers - preferrably with 45 and/or 90 degree tips. With engine off and cool, release pressure on the fuel rail by covering the schrader valve with a cloth and pushing the center of the valve (looks like a bicycle valve) until no more fuel runs out.

Take the pliers and squeeze the clip while lifting. Put lots of rags around the regulator to catch ring if it gets loose (which it can) then reomve the old one and replace with the new. Pay strict attention to part order. Instructions are also in the workshop cd you can download from my site or send a me an email with your address and I drop one in the post to you.