PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Lube My Arse!

transio
03/06/2006, 11:31 AM
At least, that's what Andy, the manager of Jiffy Lube Store #391 in Miami tried to do, so he could bend me over and stick me with a big bill full of extras.

I only went there in the first place cause I wanted to change my oil and PCV valve this weekend, but couldn't find the time, so last night I changed the PCV and left the oil for another day. This morning, I decided that I'd be really busy this week, and wouldn't have a chance to do it... so that leaves Jiffy Lube.

Here's what they did:

They tried to sell me the Penzoil synthetic for an extra $20, but Penz isn't even a grade 4 synthetic, so I was like "no way, give me regular oil".

Then, they tried to tell me that I should change my air filter. But I am running a MorganTec CAI with a wire mesh filter. So I laughed and wisened them up to the fact.

THEN, the manager comes running into the office, while they're filling up the oil, and tells me, "Hey, look, here's your PCV valve, you should replace it." I look at it, and it's not a 90 degree angle PCV. I said, "that's not my PCV." He says, "sure it is, my guy just took it out." I walked over to my car and looked, and the guy didn't unclamp the hose, he just disassembled the PCV into its 2 components. I shook it, and it rattled. It was the one I put in last night. I told the manager, "I put this PCV valve in LAST NIGHT. Check it, it's fine." He gave it to the tech and walked away. He knew he was busted.

FINALLY, 15 minutes later, the guy has the balls to try to charge me over $50, saying I opted for synthetic "blend" oil. I was livid. I refused to pay the upcharge. He said he couldn't give me the synthetic blend at regular price. I told him that I asked for regular oil. So he offered me either a $7 discount or to drain my car and use regular oil. I'm not waiting again. I took the discount

Then, I left, called up Jiffy Lube corporate, and got them to refund me the difference, and also filed a complaint.

I am NEVER going to Jiffy Lube again! If I can't find the time to do it myself, it's a regular garage for me...

Dare2Dream
03/06/2006, 11:58 AM
Yep, Jiffy lube is that way.

I always go to Walmart, they charge around $30 for a full synthetic mobil 1 change. The best thing is you can shop while they do the work!!

Triathlete
03/06/2006, 01:36 PM
The VX is such an easy vehicle to change the oil and filter on that in the time it took you to drive to Ripoff lube, have them do the job and argue with them about their antics...YOU COULD HAVE DONE THE JOB YOURSELF :_brickwal without the headache!

climbcovey
03/06/2006, 02:07 PM
Yet another reason I do my own maintanence!!!!!!!!! Sorry about your luck. But thanks for the extra motivation to continue my maintanence.

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/06/2006, 02:14 PM
I always take care of my VX myself. However, after buying my '95 Monte Carlo Z-34 I noticed that contrary to what the owners manual specified in engine coolant (Dexcool) there was the green stuff instead and it didn't look too fresh. So, since it was snowing and cold...I hit a Pennzoil Quick Lube and specified only to do a radiator flush & refill with dexcool. Simple enough!

While sitting in the waiting room the manager comes in and asks what weight & brand of motor oil I wanted because they had already drained it and removed the filter. I told him I didn't come in for an oil change. He got nervous and I finally told him to go with Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30. While watching I see them pull out 5W-30 and get ready to pour. I stop him and re-clarify 10W-30...he goes OHHHH and gets correct stuff. Then Manager comes in and shows me the transmission fluid on stick and it looks brownish...I couldn't argue so I asked for filter & fluid change. He tells me they only back flush and refill. I decided to have it done. I get a bill when it is all said and done with for like $215.00 when I originally went in for $68 radiator flush. Something like $55 synthetic oil change plus $68 radiator flush plus $80 Trannie back-flush & refill plus tax.

I wound up draining and refilling the coolant again a month later because the dexcool looked like mud after mixing with residue of the green stuff left in engine during refill. I wound up getting the trannie filter and fluid changed by fall '05 and noticed how much smoother trannie shifted then when they simply back-flushed and refilled trannie. Oh well...live and learn!

Ldub
03/06/2006, 02:19 PM
I've had roughly the same experience w/"ripofflube" & one of their competitors (Thor...which is how my backside felt after a $38.- bill) NEVER again will these slime balls see another nickle of Ldub fundage!
A thread like this is great motivation to change your own...even when it's cold & damp or worse. It's worth it!

transio
03/06/2006, 04:49 PM
The VX is such an easy vehicle to change the oil and filter on that in the time it took you to drive to Ripoff lube, have them do the job and argue with them about their antics...YOU COULD HAVE DONE THE JOB YOURSELF :_brickwal without the headache!Unfortunately, I live in a condo, and we put in a brick driveway recently. Since then, my neighbors have complained when I've changed my oil in the driveway, noting a couple little stains from oil drips. :) So I have to go to a friend's house to change my oil. It's kind of a pain in the ***, and difficult to find time to do it. I have been meaning to go to Home Depot and get a tarp to lay down so I can do it in my driveway again...

Heraclid
03/06/2006, 05:27 PM
Transio, I'd have to look for the precise wording, but my covenants and restrictions where I live state that residents are not to perform maintenance on a vehicle in the driveway in excess of 2 hours. Would they enforce that? Nah. They really just don't want cars up on blocks or something for extended periods of time. The 2 hour thing is goofy. BTW, I attended the annual HOA meeting the other night and they elected a new board - that was a circus if I ever saw one. But times are good - I moved in last August and now houses a few doors down from mine, and pretty much exactly the same as mine, are up for sale for $25,000-35,000 over what we paid. Sure hope they get it too. :-)

The very reason I love this site so much is what it has been teaching me about doing everything myself that I possibly can. I avoid the dealers and other rip-off joints like the plague now. Jiffy will drain it and send you down the road without refilling it, drain and refill without changing the filter, etc. I just buy the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 synthetic at Wal-Mart for around $20, pick up a filter from Napa (they are made by Wix - very good filters), go home and change it in a few minutes, and Napa takes my old oil off my hands when it's done. Except this last time I did go with Royal Purple, also supplied by my Napa store around the corner. I figure if it's good enough for Chip Foose then it's good enough for me.

SPAZZ
03/06/2006, 06:11 PM
I have been to Jiffy lube, Wal-mart and a few others and I have had all the scams tried on me and all the nightmares happen too.

Wal-mart didn't change my oil filter or replece my air filter screws back on after they checked my filter. One time they didn't tighten my oil drain plug either. Even the dealer I paid 4 times to change out my fuel filter didn't even change it out. I marked the original and it was still there. When I showed them they lied every time and tried to deny it.

Jiffy lube tried to tell me my VX needed my brand new K&N air filter changed out for one of their cheepo's, I needed my Transmission filter changed only after 8,000 miles on the odometer, I had a bad catylic converter, bad muffler, bad manifolds, injectors needed cleaning, my steering box was worn out...I'm serious I could go on and on and on ..they wanted me to either gamble on me doing the repairs at their shop or some other shop.

I told them to blow me and I had a serious talk with their manager and I left.
Now I do MY OWN maintenance. Plus, I purchased one of those Fram oil drain plug with a screw in drain hose. Makes for a very easy and mess free drain process especially if you have a Diamondplate Steel Skidplate.

Joe_Black
03/06/2006, 07:59 PM
Fumoto valve = 15 minute do-it-yourself oil change, no tools required (unless you really monkeyed the filter on last time).

SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE :)

VehiGAZ
03/07/2006, 06:35 AM
My problem is that I have no garage and sloped driveway, so even simple maintenance like this is more trouble than it's worth for me. I make the time for brakes, shocks, and snow tire swaps, but not for the little stuff that'll save me all of $15.

And we have the same issues here in CT with Valvoline. They're cheap ($22 for regular oil & filter), so they try to make the extra money on upsells. Can your really fault them for trying? No. Can you get anoyed with them when they want to change your cabin air filter for the 4th time in a row? Yes.

My wife won't go anymore without me, because she's sick of the lies. I tried to get her to tell them, "No, my husband beat me up real bad last time I got that done here!" next time they suggest to do ANYTHING other than the oil and filter. Hee-hee. :-) But alas, there won't be a next time, because with the new A3, she doesn't have to go there at all anymore, because Audi pays for all maintenance up to 50k miles! They know better than to try that crap on me.

Anyway, the point of this was that I am lucky to have a local car wash & oil change place near work that will change the oil & filter, top off fluids, set the tire pressures, etc (with no BS'ing around), then they vacuum & clean the interior completely (windows included), and wash and dry the car... all for $30. Can't argue with that!