PDA

View Full Version : GRRR, Broke my front axle today

Swordy
04/12/2003, 08:49 PM
I was up in the hills playing and grenaded one of the CV cages on my drivers side halfshaft.
Does anyone know where I can get a used one, or parts to rebuild this one? Isuzu wants like arms and legs for a new one, and my next of kin for just the cv assy.
So far I can't even find a place that rebuilds these.
Andy

Pete6, if you see this, Didn't you say something to me about a place that can beef these halfshafts up a bit???

Hotsauce
04/13/2003, 04:35 AM
www.raxles.com

They may have something.

John C.

newthings
04/13/2003, 09:06 PM
Hi Andy,
Did you save the fractured parts? Remember the fracture face appearnce on your Tie Rod? The small flat crescent at the origin of the break was the crack growth by means of Fatigue. If the CV fracture shows the same flat, bright crescent, fatigue is the cause of the fracture. If this is the case, a stock part could be smoothed, polished, and all aharp notches radiused with a rotary file and then the part could be shot peened. The resulting part would be no stronger, but would last as much as 10 times longer, if engineered loads were not exceeded. If you are jammed in a hole, engineering loads go out the window, so a bigger unit would be nice. Polish and peen still applies for fatigue resistance.
If you have the fractures, I would like to have a look.
Roy

Swordy
04/13/2003, 10:49 PM
LOL,, I think engineering loads were tossed out the window on this one. It didn't just break, I shattered the cage like a piece of glass. all sharp edges and random clevage planes. I'm sure I was asking more of it than it could deliver. It sure would be nice if I could get a hold of something a little beefier that would stand up to harsh "lifted IFS" torsional loads. I wonder how hard it would be to make a Dana 60 IFS??? hehehe

BTW Yes I kept all the parts (except for the steelies, that I assume Marshall commandeered for slingshot ammo.)