PDA

View Full Version : Evil thoughts of change

WormGod
02/16/2006, 07:49 AM
Maybe you all can help me out here.... I am getting tired of the VX. All the little things have slowly come full circle and added up to finally, trully annoy me about her. The subtle noises, mileage, minor defects, etc. I have made the mistake of even test driving some other cars just to really test myself. Luckily, most of the new cars I test drove were blah. The ones I don't necessarily care for, somehow, I liked.

Here is the siuation though.... I am about to be confronted with a boost in funds. I am in a position where I can get a second car, but that car would be my commuter, preferably something that is ONLY good on gas. I have seen squat out there that looks good and gets that good mileage. The only cars I see that I like are guzzlers, heh. I need one though, and if I do it this way, the VX stays in the garage and becomes "Daddy's Little Weekend Girl".

Just an idea of what I have been plundering around about....

Drove a used '98 Dodge Viper.... simply awesome, but cant have 2 weekend cars, and VX is NOT cutting it as a daily commuter.

Tried the H3.... amazing how much it felt like the VX. I generally am NOT a fan of the H2, but somehow, this was more like driving a Cherokee Sport. VX in garage, H3 sucks on gas, a no go.

Toyota Prius.... perfect, but damn is it fugly. Not as cheap as most people think either.

Honda Element.... not bad, but wow, if I wanted to drive a shoe box, I would just buy some new shoes.

Mini Cooper.... really slick, and as small as it is, I could save money on a casket if I were ever in an accident in it. Just bury me in the wreckage.

Corvette.... don't ask.... you already know the answer.

Toyota Rav4.... REALLY impressed me. Nice ride, decent gas.... definate contender. I did not expect this to surprise me.

If you all could fire me some more ideas, perhaps rides you have tried out, I would appreciate it. I am always trying to find the time to go test drive some more cars for a decent commuter. Something pretty good on gas, looks decent, and drives decent. I really would like to keep the VX as well, but we shall see what the final verdict is. *sigh*

Blue collar, trying to have the best of both worlds.

bumblebee
02/16/2006, 08:26 AM
I bought a 2005 Jeep Wrangler last June and love it as a commuter vehicle. VX stays in garage. I am definitely going to check out the 2007 Wrangler with the V6. It's also wider and longer than the current Wrangler.

Keep the VX.

Lori
02/16/2006, 08:30 AM
I had to deal with feelings of guilt for having fairly-strong sentiments that I was tired of the vehicle and ready for a new one. But then I remembered a card someone gave me:

Q: What do neruotics eat for lunch?
A: Guilt cheese sandwiches.

So I struggled with my decision to get rid of my VX and replace it with a zippy little sedan, but I didn't beat myself up about it. I love cars so much that I think I will always be getting new (well, used) ones every three or four years. (I wish I could be like Jay Leno and have a warehouse full of really-cool cars. Right now I have three in my garage.)

I wanted to go "luxurious," with butt warmers and other amenities. In the past month, I have test drove Mercedes C-class, Volvo S60, Audi A4 and BMW 3-series. It was a no-brainer to me -- the BMW as it felt so different and so much more fun than the others.

So I bought a used BMW 325:
http://www.stat.missouri.edu/~thombsl/PICS/bimmer1.jpg

I was kinda sneaky with finding a buyer for my red VX -- perused the past few auctions of VX on ebay and noticed a recurring name who would go up to certain price and then stop. I emailed him and now he is buying my VX. It's being shipped to Oregon (from St. Louis) in a few days. I gave him a good deal but I still got more than the low trade-in values I was getting from the dealers. (All 4 were almost exactly the same ~ $10.5K)

Of course I will still visit this site and check on the last VX chit-chat. I actually feel like I know you guys are friends, even though we've never met.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lori

AREA 51
02/16/2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah, how 'bout that new rav4? 268 horsepower and 4wd. I think it even has a new chassis. It's evolving.

Navigator
02/16/2006, 11:52 AM
Yep it's time man, go ahead swap the VX for something new. It's just a vehicle not a religion or something for crying out loud, LOL. They'll be other affordable HALO vehicles :uhohgray: someday, I hope. That new RAV4 may not turn heads, but it's got horses out the wazzoo, so go for it or whatever you decide to buy.

You'll still see me with my VX FOREVER, but then you know I ain't exactly rational :naughty:

carlymac
02/16/2006, 12:21 PM
Or you could have your head examined....lol.

JAFO
02/16/2006, 01:56 PM
Changing vehicles to get better gas mileage may not be as cost effective as one might think. It may take years before breaking even on the change. Calculate how much more MPG that you will have to get to over come the cost in a timely manor.

For example lets take the average driver, who carves up 12,000 miles of pavement a year at 18 MPG (what my VX gets). At this rate of consumption you would burn up 666 (I didn't plan on this) gallons of gas. And lets say the average price of gas is $2.00 per gallon, giving us a total of $1,332.

Now lets say we upgrade to the Honda Insight, which gets 56 MPG, about the best you can get of any vehicle. So 12,000 miles / 56 MPG = 214 gallons of gas at $2.00 = $418.

So you save (1332 - 418) $918 per year. However, you must take into consideration the cost of abtaining the more fuel effecent vehicle. Lets say you trade in the VX and you get your loan pay off of $15000. Nothing lost nothing gained. The Insight is $22,000 (plus tax,title,etc). So you have the difference of $7000 which will take you 7 1/2 years to break even, before you start saving any money.

Yes, I did not account for the vehicle being new vs used but you also need to consider that in a couple of years the VX will be paid off and you will have approx $300 a month in your pocket instead of another car payment.

Second case, hybrid vs standard model.

Lets say we where going to by a new 2006 Ford Escape and we are trying deside if we should get the standard edition or the Hybrid.

Standard 2.3L 4 cyl gets 22 MPG city.
12,000 Miles at 22 MPG = 545 Gallons @ $2.00/gallon = $1090

Hybrid 2.3L 4 cyl gets 36 MPG city.
12,000 Miles at 36 MPG = 333 Gallons @ $2.00/gallon = $666

So with the Hybrid you will save $424 per year but on average the Hybrid will cost you $2,500 more. Taking nearly six years to break even before you begin to save any money. Not to mention that the Hybrid has additional parts that need maintenance, repair, and possibly having there own environmental disposal concerns.

Changing vehicle just to save on gas is not cost effective. Consider how many years you keep a vehicle on average; is it five years or less? You may never even make it to see a savings.

That is unless you happen to own an EV1, but wait a minute GM scrapped them all. Thanks, GM!

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/16/2006, 02:13 PM
That's a toughie. In the end, only you can really answer your question after some reflecting and soul-searching.

In the past, I've never held onto any vehicle longer than 3-4 years before getting either thoroughly bored of it or tired of it letting me down (breakdowns or nickel-diming me to death). I'll be finally paying mine off this summer (big party everyone!!!) which will bring me up to 5.5 yrs of ownership when that day occurs. I have a daily driver to take life's beating (1995 "torch red" Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z-34) to get me to and fro to work and it gets about 22/23 miles per gallon regularly.

Personally, the region I live in tends to dismiss imports in general; and I really haven't had the positive remarks and bouts of head-turning like many others on this board experience. Sometimes when I hear people at work or in public get excited about Dodges (Rams, Chargers, SRT8 vehicles etc..) Fords(Mustangs, Lightenings, etc....) GM's (SSR's, Vettes, GTO's, etc...), I get a little envious. If I lived somewhere else where people got as excited about my VX as I do I'd be hard-pressed to let her go!!!!!

Basically I feel I'd get screwed royally if I ever traded her in since I bought her new when they were priced at $32k. My personal game-plan is to keep her and wait to see if that new Dodge Challenger with the 6.1 Hemi V8 gets the ok for production. Then, I'll most likely make my VX a daily driver (unless the resale value goes up dramatically!) and buy the Challenger for my pleasure vehicle!

The only other vehicle I've been slightly tempted by is that Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8....but, I've refrained from test-driving one and I like the looks of my VX alot more.

My advice to you....is to install that blower and then make your decision afterwards! It just might change your mind ;) Plus, your mileage might go up over-all as mine has!

james1_10018
02/16/2006, 03:56 PM
I had the same feeling and couldnt sell the vx so I traded my range rover and guess what I got ...a 2006 bmw 650 convertible ...sweet ride

transio
02/16/2006, 04:48 PM
Damn, Gary,

I was gonna offer you a straight-up trade for my Elise, but I'm afraid the noises and defects would just annoy you about her!

Pullin your leg, of course. ;)

I know what you're saying... I'm getting to that point with the VX, too. Often times, I want to just take care of all the major stuff and unload it and spend the money on hair plugs or something. :D

Robdrawz
02/16/2006, 09:12 PM
Hey Gary,
Here is some ideas that will still turn a few heads:
www.go-t-rex.com
or
www.grinnallcars.com
check the Scorpion III
or build one -
www.factoryfive.com
or
www.smart.com
I met a guy who brought a Smart Roadster up from Mexico - he gets
73 miles per gallon.

Robdrawz

transio
02/16/2006, 09:26 PM
By the way, the Mini Cooper S is a badass handling car. You may also want to consider:

Lotus Elise (35 mpg highway - starting at around $33k used)
Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice
Honda S2000 (decent mpg)
Evo or STi

:)

JAFO
02/16/2006, 09:36 PM
Ok, there is a vehicle that I would trade the VX for.

The Ariel Atom. For those that have seen the Top Gear episode you know why. Those that haven't watch this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6514168251893889573&q=ariel+atom

http://www.arielatom.com

Bulldoggie
02/16/2006, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=JAFO]Ok, there is a vehicle that I would trade the VX for.

The Ariel Atom.

AWSOME! You've got to love that "Rocket sled" face.
It's power to weight RATIO's that rule!
I'd lose my Driver's License for life, in less than a week.
I bet it gets great mpg though.

JAFO
02/16/2006, 11:40 PM
AWSOME! You've got to love that "Rocket sled" face.
It's power to weight RATIO's that rule!
I'd lose my Driver's License for life, in less than a week.
I bet it gets great mpg though.
Starting at $35,000. They have a place in Ashland, Oregon. I should go check out the demo. According to their FAQ, some have already been licensed in the U.S.

Bulldoggie
02/17/2006, 12:23 AM
About 4 hours away...... :yesg:

transio
02/17/2006, 05:59 AM
The Atom is supposed to be a great car, but it's essentially a track-day car, with no real-world usability. Might as well get a Radical! :eek:

Oh, btw, on the subject of power/weight, check THIS out:

http://www.freestreamcars.com/

WormGod
02/17/2006, 07:22 AM
Wait wait wait, I think the context here may be confused. I would like to keep the VX, if possible, I would just like a commuter car. If a new commuter will not allow me to have 2 cars, then I would probably be willing to let her go (well, I would say willing.... I will start kicking and shouting). I am hoping to keep it as a weekend car, as I think I stated before.... I dont feel like scrolling back. :p

Saturn Sky.... have yet to see one anywhere other than pics.

Scooby WRX.... I am selfish with this one. Wouldnt get one unless it was an older style STi. I dont like the new, rounded off contours. I have an internal fear that used STi have been ragged on HARSHLY.

Oh, I am not doing this for a "predominantly fuel efficient car".... I am only "considering" the options and I am not looking for 512 miles to the gallon. I could care less if it gets the BEST mpg, I just NEED better than what the VX gets. ;) SO, stick them Hybrids up ye bung.... until they look nicer, I wont even let a guest park one in my driveway. :p

Joe_Black
02/17/2006, 07:40 AM
Understand you as I've had "wandering car eye" quite a bit lately. My problem is, it's among my own "herd"! With two VX's in the family it was hard to make the decision to part with one, especiallly the first one that was bought new. I pay it off next week and that makes having it up for grabs even harder! :( But, if I ever want to do the turbo-diesel swap on the IronMan the funds have to be available. Good Isuzu diesels aren't cheap. There's a Cummins 4-cylinder that'll fit and mate to the stock transmission, but at 200+ HP and over 500 lbs. of torque I'm afraid the 4L30E won't last long.

In any case, you've got to determine what's going to be the best fit for your daily needs and still make you feel good driving it. Call that the "fun factor". I'm working on 3 replacements for the Dragon as a daily driver: 1982 Mercedes 300D, 1988 Merkur XR4Ti and a 1986 Toyota MR2. The 300D and XR4Ti will get done first since they've got the most space, as I can't fit a server and router, or big printer in the MR2 which is the kind of stuff I haul around for work. Since I've also got an antique semi my truckish hauling needs are already met, although I get funny looks at Home Depot when making a lumber run with a tandem-axle cab-over sleeper. :eek:

So if you have occasional needs where having large cargo area (not necessarily cavernous, but tall) is handy then probably the RAV4 is your car. Toyota quality and service goes a long way, not to mention the significant boosts the RAV4 platform has received during it's life. I've always liked the RAV4 for it's simplicity and balance of features, and enjoy the opportunity to drive one.

If economy is a goal, then take a look at the VW Jetta TDI. The new styling is very sharp and they're comfortable, plus the handling qualities have been reviewed very favoritively as sporty. The fold-down rear seats offer fair storage. The power is impressive (TORQUE!) and a friend with a new Golf TDI is getting near 40MPG in excessively aggressive driving. I followed him to lunch one day in the VX and had a hard time keeping up from stops.

As for rattles, sqeaks and general maintenance issues? Well, no vehicle will be without them. The sign that they annoy you belies another issue which is your subconcious desire to move on. Believe me, as a former automotive restorer you can find something wrong with any new vehicle if you look enough. When you're in one day-to-day things you initially didn't notice during the "honeymoon phase" become apparent and repetitive. Then you'll soon be where you are now. ;)

For what it's worth, my two centavos.

Joe_Black
02/17/2006, 07:46 AM
Wait wait wait, I think the context here may be confused. I would like to keep the VX, if possible, I would just like a commuter car. If a new commuter will not allow me to have 2 cars, then I would probably be willing to let her go (well, I would say willing.... I will start kicking and shouting). I am hoping to keep it as a weekend car, as I think I stated before.... I dont feel like scrolling back. :p

Saturn Sky.... have yet to see one anywhere other than pics.

Scooby WRX.... I am selfish with this one. Wouldnt get one unless it was an older style STi. I dont like the new, rounded off contours. I have an internal fear that used STi have been ragged on HARSHLY.

Oh, I am not doing this for a "predominantly fuel efficient car".... I am only "considering" the options and I am not looking for 512 miles to the gallon. I could care less if it gets the BEST mpg, I just NEED better than what the VX gets. ;) SO, stick them Hybrids up ye bung.... until they look nicer, I wont even let a guest park one in my driveway. :p
Sorry Gary, you posted this while I was typing my log-winded reply above. :rolleyes: Your call on the WRX is a bit mis-informed. I'm real involved with the Subaru community with rally and you'd be surprised how many grandmas are driving WRX's. Take a look at the earlier 2.5RS from around 95 or so. Basically a 2-door WRX and a true sleeper plus gobs of fun to drive. The nice thing about the Subarus is most stuff bolt-swaps between models. So you can get a basic Impreza and start slapping WRX stuff on it as you desire. In any case, there are a lot of good WRX's out there that haven't been jockeyed around hard. A good Subie resource (especially the forums) is here: www.nasioc.com

Bulldoggie
02/17/2006, 08:48 AM
I loved my Mazda Miata, super handling, great engine and mpg, only problem was wimpy stock spark plug wires on early models and mechanics leaning on the headlamp doors. No nooks and crannys to wash.
If you need to haul more on a daily basis, Joe's Golf TDI is a good choice, I put KYB shocks on all four corners of my diesel Rabbit, and handling was great, 54 mpg, unreal amount of storage with the rear seat folded, great visability, new long blocks less than $1,000.
With a good used car as a driver, you can always drive the VX when it's time for belts and hoses, or if you need to haul more.
I drove a monster truck for 30 years, but without these two drivers, I would have died from the gas pump, the savings on the rabbit, made it a FREE car!
You can even run on Bio-diesel! As a protest on Big Bush Oil.
Good luck on that F1 Radical, even Jay Leno would have a hard time Buying his way onto the waiting list. But to dream, Powerball?

WormGod
02/17/2006, 02:09 PM
I wouldnt go as far as "mis-informed", rather than "my" first hand experience, heh. I know quite a few STi (not just the WRX S)owners here, 2 of which are married and drive a his-and-hers, and 100% of them rag the living hell out of their rides. I am not saying ALL, just the ones I know. I would love to have one, I just wouldnt buy theirs, heh. So no, I am not speaking for the grandma's and the owners who "respect" their rides enough not to kill them off fast.... just the clowns I know.

For lunch today, I went and test drove another H3. I saw a green one and decided to stop to check it out. I drove one previously and thought it was just, average. For some reason, it felt better this time around. Maybe it's because I sorta knew what to expect, but regardless, it was not bad at all. But, it doesnt solve the "looking for better mileage than the VX" issue, heh. It is priced to sell though.

The search continues....

Just might check out some new STi's again for the hell of it. No work this weekend. We will see.

Maugan_VX
02/17/2006, 04:54 PM
G35 coupe.

Damn seksy car.

mistermg
02/17/2006, 06:06 PM
let us know if the ebony becomes FOR SALE..........

transio
02/18/2006, 07:11 AM
G35 coupe.I love the G35 coupe. My neighbor has one. Only downsides are no manual transmission :confused: and EVERYONE in Miami has one... I'd rather get a black 350z convertible with track pack. From behind, it looks almost like a Spyker C8 :drool:

Maugan_VX
02/19/2006, 07:45 AM
Maybe the new saturn sky?

Looks interesting.

mbeach
02/19/2006, 11:43 AM
Did I hear someone say WRX??

I loved mine, but I agree, the new Imprezas are ugly.

And the Impreza chassis was designed to be beat on, if it has been driven hard, it can definately take it. Weak spots are the transmission (on non-STI models), and the rear differential (on STIs). I've been out of the community for a year, so a few other things might have popped up.

As for reliability, the stock '02 WRX dynos @165whp, mine laid down 362whp, through the stock clutch and tranny for over 40k miles without a hiccup (until the day I sold it). I thank Shiv at Vishnu Tuning for that.

Handling is outstanding, once you have enough power to negate the understeer. I've tailed a buddy in his Superformance S1 through the Hocking Hills region (where C&D does its roadtests) without too much difficulty.
Bad roads are a non-issue with decent tires. 8 inches of wheel travel on a 99" wheel base = jumping machine. On icy roads you can generally boost with impunity, if you get sideways, a tap on the gas will straighten you right out.

Heck, I'm suddenly thinking about going back. At least the VX has the ground clearance that I need up here- in Maryland that may not be a requirement.

The older (Ver. 6) Imprezas were noticeably flexier than the V.7 and up Imprezas. The 4-door is stiffer and lighter, but the 2-door 2.5 RS looks better. I've seen half-a-dozen EJ20Ts (WRX motors) retrofitted into the older body Imprezas. Very hot, and semi-legal in most places.

The Subaru Impreza WRX is quite simply one of the greatest sports cars of our time. I'm sure that not everyone thinks so, but if they really look into it, their minds will change.

michael67
02/19/2006, 02:52 PM
Well, I'm looking to get a VX, so I couldn't imagine what you're going through. However, if you're looking to get a comuter car, I'd suggest a Mazda6, or an Accord or something. A simple 4-door sedan will get pretty good gas mileage, and then keep the VX. I hate to hear that people are getting rid of them when I'm just falling in love with them.
Peace.

SRCHN
02/19/2006, 05:00 PM
I love the G35 coupe. My neighbor has one. Only downsides are no manual transmission :confused: and EVERYONE in Miami has one... I'd rather get a black 350z convertible with track pack. From behind, it looks almost like a Spyker C8 :drool:

Um, you can get a G coupe with a six speed. Several of my friends have them...

Just do an ebaymotors search on the G35...lots of hits with a standard.

Forget the Elise...wait a year or two for the Europa to come out and then just import it from Europe. Sooo hot.

SRCHN

Chopper
02/19/2006, 06:44 PM
taking a trip soon to see a Caterham CSR260 I've had a love affair, of sorts, with a VR for some time now.(and wifey thought a grown 6'4" man looked silly in a Miata...or rather, getting out of it) 260hp-1300 lbs....0-60...3.2sec. 155mph top speed, (plenty,I'm not as young and brash as before) formula car handling. Now THAT'S a gas saver. But then I wear prickly cactus underwear too. STI alternative- I've had access to a mitsi Evo RS for the last few weeks. Found it way more "dialed in" than any of the stocker WRX's I've ever driven...STI or no.I think it would be a dandy commuter. Disect traffic like a scalpel with room in back for the little primates in the family...sort of a home school physics lesson every day....but then that's me(see undergarment reference above)

transio
02/19/2006, 07:30 PM
Um, you can get a G coupe with a six speed.Good to know... I wasn't aware of that.

Forget the Elise...wait a year or two for the Europa to come out and then just import it from Europe. Sooo hot.Well, you'll never get it in the US, because it uses the 2.0L engine out of the Opel Speedster, which doesn't meet US emissions laws. Besides that, it is slower, heavier, and less pure than the Elise. It was originally designed for the Malaysian market as a Proton, and has many of their styling cues... I personally think it's ugly. Looks like a cross between an RSX, Stratus, and Crossfire. :rolleyes:

transio
02/19/2006, 07:32 PM
Chopper, Caterhams are sick cars. I'd like to get one some day (when I'm rich) as a weekend car. It's between that and an Ariel Atom for me.

WormGod
02/21/2006, 07:15 AM
Checked out the Evo this weekend. Wow, wow, and wow! After driving this little bugger for 20 mins, I couldnt even look back in the direction of an STi. Problem here however.... it was NOT cheap. I could have about gotten a CLK for the pricetag on this thing.

Interetsing thing happened this weekend though. My grandfather was recently declared legally blind and his MD drivers lisence has been revoked due to it. I was nudged by a family member to check out his car. never thought about really, but I looked into it. Turns out, he has a '93 Chevy Malibu. 4 door, very basic, really not my cup of tea. But after inquiring about it, it turns out it is in "pristine" shape and only has 2,000 miles on it since he bought it new years ago. He was talking $5k. This just might be the perfect "commuter", if you know what I mean. It wont win me any Best of Show awards, but it is a last ditch option. Cant rule it out ya know. ;)

Joe_Black
02/21/2006, 07:39 AM
Evo's are cool, but just keep in mind that Mitsubishi will drop your warranty if you even look at the car funny. Subaru, on the other hand, encourages you to have fun. ;)

mbeach
02/21/2006, 10:52 AM
SOA will void your warranty in a heartbeat. They are better than Isuzu of America, but they will still laugh you off if they even think that you've been monkeying with their car. Whenever I swung by the stealership to buy oil filters/ washers, the service guys would joke about my "warranty". I guess that the gigantic FMIC tipped them off.

I found it irritating that SoA would supply you with a 1 year membership to the SCCA, but dishonor your warranty if you ever used your car to race (even against the clock).

I was actually sitting in an Evo when I decided to purchase the WRX. The things that stood against the Evo were:
1.) cable shift linkage -my bro's Civic has that, why would I want my pseudo-rally car to have it?
2.) crankwalk. The design of the 4G63 encourages it, and there's no way around it. I've seen a few 600+hp Evos and they all had one thing in common: a spare motor nearby. Maybe that's asking a lot to ask, but it's still a problem.
3.) boost gauge -right next to my shiftin' hand. WTH? Line of sight (without the cop-magnet A-pillar mounts) please.
4.) it just looks too ricey.

It did handle like a dream, but then again, I'm kind've a crappy driver, so I don't need all of that ability.

transio
02/21/2006, 04:02 PM
Dude,

You want an Evo, huh?!?

Well you're in LUCK !!!

They rock, but they happen to have AWFUL resale values!

Here are a few fine examples with low low mileage for between $20k (stock) - 35k (track prepped):

2003 Evo VIII 15k miles for $20k: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18157&highlight=evo+viii
2003 Evo VIII 20k miles for $20k: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16878&highlight=evo
OMG 2005 Evo MR 6k miles for $30k: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12363&highlight=evo
2005 Track Prepped Evo RS 1500 miles for $35k: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15297&highlight=evo

Look for an Evo forum and I'm sure you can find even better deals!

Heraclid
02/21/2006, 07:31 PM
Get a Carver. :-) www.carver.nl

WormGod
02/22/2006, 07:29 AM
I will agree that the EVO sells itself to a ricer crowd in the visual dept. I think the only true thing it has going for it there is, you still dont see too many of them around this way.

Narrowing down. WRX or H3. The WRX is winning in every dept so far and there is a GREAT dealer's listing here with some used ones at excellent prices.

Dont know why, but this has been keeping me up at night. I think a lot of it has to do with me just wanting to get the VX off the road and into the garage where it wont blemish. ;)

mbeach
02/22/2006, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't fear a used WRX too much. Look for an unmodded one if you have worries. Run away from anything that has or has had a manual boost controller on it (look for new vacuum lines leading into or away from the turbo).

In Ohio, the Evo and WRX were about 50/50 on the street. Since I've moved, I have only seen one Evo in Fairbanks, but there is literally a WRX on every corner.

MZ-N10
02/22/2006, 09:42 AM
if like teh sti/wrx take a look at the legacy gt. same 2.5 engine as a sti, but in a slightly bigger(alittle slower) sedan. oh and priced at about 26gs 5 or so less then a sti.

TEN36VX
02/22/2006, 11:11 AM
Mini Cooper.... really slick, and as small as it is, I could save money on a casket if I were ever in an accident in it. Just bury me in the wreckage.
Dont discount the Mini. They beat out the Ford F150 in offset frontal crash tests; almost no passenger compartment intrusion. Just a thought. I plan on getting a Mini for a commuter.

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/22/2006, 01:27 PM
Another use for a Mini Cooper!

http://www.motorhomeclub.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=142

http://www.motorhomeclub.com/album_showpage.php?pic_id=142

WormGod
02/22/2006, 02:16 PM
ARHG! Hole in the head! I just called a local private seller here about a car I saw on autotrader. '93 Dodge Viper, hahahaha. Ya, talk about needing therapy. But wow, always wanted one. Asking $27k with 43k miles on it. Definately priced to sell. The pics of it look great and he "claims" no body/engine issues. I also prefer that older body styling over the newer, more rounded out one.

BUT.... that would be a mistake. Then again, I am a 32 year old, single, homeowner.... society dictates that, "that is what I am supposed to do". ;)

shoota77
02/22/2006, 02:53 PM
How a bout a 2000/2001 M5? A little more practical than the Viper with some crazy performance...similarish price range. :cool!:

transio
02/22/2006, 06:21 PM
Don't get a pre-1997 Viper - they have a button-on top and side curtains (no windows). There are also build-quality issues. If you're gonna do it, get a 97+

Heraclid
02/22/2006, 08:07 PM
I may be crazy, but seems to me that I heard the early Vipers had no door locks either, and that touching the right inside parts of the door could burn you due to the side exhausts.

hump
02/22/2006, 10:43 PM
I have the answer take a look at the mazda RX-8.

JAFO
02/22/2006, 11:36 PM
I have the answer take a look at the mazda RX-8.
I second that!

Top Gear Mazda RX-8
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3557834343584632831&q=%22top+gear%22

Ruflyf
02/23/2006, 07:15 AM
Well I guess I might as well my 2cents. First off I am sure you have heard it, and probably even mentioned it yourself about how one day the car will be a true collectors and you'll regret it, as tons of baby boomers are doing these days with the '50's and '60's cars. As we all know it is a very unique vehicle.

That being said, if you still are looking...the Pontiac Solstice looks nice, but I was disappointed with the engine being a 4 cyl. Then again i drove a subaru forrester that unless I looked, I would swear it was a 6 cyl.

thedutchguy
02/23/2006, 09:15 AM
To us guys : cars are emotion.
It just depends on how much you are willing to spend, and........................

WormGod
02/24/2006, 07:10 AM
Turning a new page this weekend. Gonna look at EVERYTHING out there. I sat down and talked to my ex g/f the other night about the Viper, and just like most women, she was able to fill that hole in my head with some sense. Needless to say, without her (even as the ex), I would probably be living life miserably with LOTS of expensive toys. So, she put me back on track with what I was originally looking for.

BTW, the Viper does have issues with early 90's years. I worked on enough of them back then to know that they are EASILY nothing more than a weekend car. And it must be a perfect, children's book day too. Unfortunately, I HATE the new body style. Oh well.

Anyone know much about the new 350Z's? Never really thought about them much but it is s hell of a nice body style. Might have to add that to my list (looks like a Scooby is sitting prettyy at the top of that list).

mbeach
02/24/2006, 08:50 AM
First off, I LOVE Nissan -probably more than Subaru due to my longer history owning Nissan/Datsuns.
I just put a Titan in the driveway, and will most likely add a Pathfinder or Armada by the end of summer.

The Z's window openings are very small -if you are tall, you will find them uncomfortably narrow. Looking over your shoulder (for a merge, etc.) will find you looking at a piece of the ceiling. In fact, rearward visibility in general is as bad as the VX now that I think about it.
I still like the car though -maybe as a convertible for nice days only.

HOWEVER...

During one of the oddest icestorms that Fairbanks has ever seen (this week), the 4wd on the Titan went out. Since the VX is waiting on parts, the wife and I have been using the truck exclusively. She was driving on snot-slick ice all day in 2wd, even though the 4wd indicator was lit.
When she came to pick me up, she was driving sideways down the road. Hmmm... I do a quick parking lot test and immediately take it in to the dealer, where I am informed of a 'secret' recall (yes, there's no record of this).
The bolts that hold the front driveshafts onto the differential output flanges FELL OUT! All 6 on the driver's side were gone, and 4 on the passenger side were lost -the other two were barely finger tight. Apparently there was a problem at Nissan's Alabama (or Mississippi) assembly plant and the 12 bolts were not torqued to spec. So thanks to the same folks that killed Mercedes' ML series and BMW's Z series, (and are killing the Super Dutys), my $40k 4x4 was turned into a useless (for Alaska) roadhazard for an entire day.

The moral of this (long) story -whatever you buy, make sure that it's put together in Japan.

Ruflyf
02/24/2006, 08:54 AM
Probably MS plant, they not too bright down here..lol..thank god I am not a native :)

Budda
02/24/2006, 04:33 PM
I really did not like the new 350Z's. Felt flimsy and as mentioned, the visibility is almost nothing.

MZ-N10
02/24/2006, 09:30 PM
I really did not like the new 350Z's. Felt flimsy and as mentioned, the visibility is almost nothing.

lol visibility......ur worried bout visibility

rowhard
02/25/2006, 06:33 AM
WOW, 'she who must be obeyed' just bought the 06 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury trim, with 2 grand of accessories was still under 26 grand. Very nice, roomy, all the bells and whistles, 4x4 that can be towed flat, certainly worth a test drive

Chopper
02/25/2006, 05:12 PM
EVO RS all the go without the boy-racer plastic body crap......radio??? we don't need no stinkin' radio...too busy doin' beltway surgery to pay attention to Don and Mike.

whtzmbi
02/27/2006, 01:01 PM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Yes the VX does suck the gas however I've resorted to just weekends.....mine gets about 17mpg....not bad for a '99 i don't think.....my daily car is a 2006 Pontiac Vibe (Abyss) It's nice rides nice, 7speaker monsoon 6 disc in dash cd player sun roof....blah blah but it gets 34 mpg. maybe check out one of these....I hardly ever have to stop at the gas station..... :)