PDA

View Full Version : Code Retrieval

I_Wanna_Retire
02/14/2006, 03:04 PM
Can somebody point me (or tell me) how to manually retrieve the error codes? I believe you are supposed to short pin 8 on diagnostic port (to ground?), put transfer case in neutral, turn key on, then hit brake 5 times. Then what happens? What am I looking for? I have sent 2 days searching for this info on the forum but no luck :(

Todd Adams
02/14/2006, 06:40 PM
Can somebody point me (or tell me) how to manually retrieve the error codes? I believe you are supposed to short pin 8 on diagnostic port (to ground?), put transfer case in neutral, turn key on, then hit brake 5 times. Then what happens? What am I looking for? I have sent 2 days searching for this info on the forum but no luck :(

The older Isuzu’s you could do this, that is how I pull the codes from our 92 Amigo but as far as I know you need a scanner for your VX. .
PEP boys or Autozone will have a scanner for less than $100 that will give you the codes and a book to tell you what they are. I use mine all the time to clear the damn fuel purge system code that seems to be an issue every couple of months.
Todd

I_Wanna_Retire
02/16/2006, 09:06 AM
My search indicates some people have retrieved codes manually using the method I described, but the instructions were not clear. Has anybody done this? And can describe how it is done, and what I am looking for?

VR4-Quest
02/16/2006, 09:32 AM
Arent the VX's OBDII, so its tougher to get the codes without a scanner, older OBDI cars its no problem using a voltmeter, watching the check engine light, etc. after shorting out terminals in the diagnostic port.

I_Wanna_Retire
02/16/2006, 10:27 AM
Nevermind, I found Hotsauce's orginal post, but it was in the original Club Vmag forums. I will try this later today if it stops snowing and blowing.

I_Wanna_Retire
02/16/2006, 10:55 AM
Yup, works like a champ. Now all I have to do is find out what a code = 21 = TPS means and how to fix it...

AnalogVX
02/16/2006, 03:19 PM
Would you post it here? I can't get back on V-mag and they don't reply to my e-mails.

I_Wanna_Retire
02/16/2006, 03:41 PM
I found out how to pull the error codes from the TOD computer. Locate the OBD connector under the dash by the drivers left knee.
Insert a wire into port 8. Ground the other end. With the engine running the check light on the TOD indicator will flash out the error code. The code will be indicated by the series of flashes, long for 10, and short for 1. 12 is normal. If there is a stored error it will flash 12 for three times, then the error.

To clear a stored error code, and reset the TOD computer put the 4WD lever in the middle(neutral) position. ground the 8 pin, and start the engine. You must now tap the brake 5 times within the next 5 seconds. The TOD will flash with each tap. It is now reset. Shut the engine and engage TOD mode from neutral.

Codes:

12 Normal
13 Shorted Ground
14 Front Speed Sensor
15 Shorted VB
16 Front Speed Sensor
21 TPS
23 ECU
24 Rear Speed Sensor
26 EMC(+)Shorted Ground
27 Rear Speed sensor
31 EMC(+)Shorted/Disconnected Coil
36 ECU
37 ECU
38 ECU

I_Wanna_Retire
02/16/2006, 03:42 PM
Any of you mechanic types know where the 'throttle position sensor' is located?

SPAZZ
02/16/2006, 06:58 PM
speed sensor codes are Left and Right...as there are two front and two rear speed sensor codes...I imagine these are Left and Right and either Front or Rear...right???

Tone
02/17/2006, 06:36 AM
On the throttle body at the front of the engine where the air goes in. I have a spare one if you need it for less than the St. Charles.

VR4-Quest
02/20/2006, 01:08 PM
I Wanna Retire, can you post the thread from Hotsauce on how to retrieve codes, I couldnt find it on Vmag..............thanks!

I_Wanna_Retire
02/20/2006, 02:33 PM
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001775.html