PDA

View Full Version : Rust Around Top of Windshield

VR4-Quest
02/14/2006, 07:56 AM
I am starting to notice some rust around the top of the windshield (small blistering and rust color) emminating from under the top rubber strip. It appears to be the result of when the windshield was replaced by the previous owner, they must have scrapped/gouged the paint and left it unprotected. I keep the VX in excellent shape, but this I couldnt have been prevented or even known about by me till now, it really sucks.
Has anyone else experienced this, and what would you all recommend as the best course of action to repair it?

WormGod
02/16/2006, 07:32 AM
Yep, sounds like a sloppy windshield install. And to be honest, it's not a fun repair. Your bext bet is to take it to a body shop and let them do their magic. To properly fix it, the windshield needs to be removed and the area affected SHOULD be sandblasted, primed, and painted. If the rust is noticeable, then you can only imagine the damage under the weatherseal.

Trust me, it probably isnt as expensive as you may thinking. It's typically a 1-2 day job. Most of the labor is in the windshield removal and replace.

vx spouse
11/07/2006, 02:42 PM
Just noticed the same thing on the wife's Proton while waxing this weekend. Initial estimate was $1100.00 IF the windshield is not broken during removal ( that would add $900 for replacement ). Did you have yours repaired, and if yes, how much?

VR4-Quest
11/08/2006, 10:40 AM
Havent done it yet, man that pisses me off cause the rest of the VX is perfect, no rust. Its just that water sits up there in the seal.
How much painting is involved in that estimate? I was going to have them obviously fix the resuted areas under the seal, and then paint back 6 inches or so and blend it before it reaches the roof rack rails. And easily stop at the sides at the gutter jam.

vx spouse
11/08/2006, 05:29 PM
Going to get it done right, but expensive. The windshield, headliner to remove the roof rails, spoiler, as well as the antenna mast are all getting pulled to paint the entire roof. 22 hours of labor, should be in the shop for 5 days, goona drop it off on Monday 11/27/2006.