PDA

View Full Version : New Nittos, and I'm mad!!!

Soulpower
02/13/2006, 05:10 PM
Just got some new shoes; Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18, just in time too cos we're expecting some snow in Chicago in a couple of days. I'm so happy with the look that now I'm mad that i waited this long before getting them. Getting these should be a prerequisite to being a member of this site. I had to do some minor trimming and they are a little noisier than i was expecting, but the look is totally worth it.
Now, I've read somewhere on this site that to improve the tire life, its best to "take it easy" atleast for the 1st 5000 miles or so, to let the tires cure fully. The question is: what exactly does taking it easy mean? I'm assuming it involves slower take offs and slower stopping. But, does it also involve not going over a certain speed? Should i avoid the highway? Thanks guys, for letting me share my joy!!!

VR4-Quest
02/14/2006, 08:02 AM
Soulpower, no special 'breakin' is need for street tires, unless you plan on autoxing or racing, in which case you would 'heat cycle' the tires. The process of heat cycling breaks down the chemical bonds in the rubber compounds (primarily the tread) and then allows the to rebond to make the bonds stronger. End result is a tire that will abrade less, last longer, and run cooler. But again, no need to do so with normal street driven tires, especially light truck tires.
The only other 'breakin' type thing to do with tires is, that some manufactures you a release agent to help remove the tire fom the mold, and some of this residual substance may still be on the tires. This can make them feel a little slick/greasy when driving till it wears off, but again, nothing you need to do special, just drive and be cognisant to not push it in a corner untill the tires are scuffed in a little.

biju
02/14/2006, 08:47 AM
love the nittos. it's like they were meant for the VX. visually, the stance of the VX is much more agressive with nittos in my opinion. they don't do too shabby off-road either! :p

congrats!

-biju.