PDA

View Full Version : When to use 4Low? ALL CLEANED UP! :-D

coachreed
04/12/2003, 11:12 AM
This might seem like a stupid question, but I am curious... when do you shift your VX into 4Low? I only ask this because every other 4x4 had a choice or 2wd, 4hi, and 4low. I would rarely if EVER use 4low, but in the case of our VX's, the 4hi is torque on demand... will it EVER take too long to kick in so that I am in trouble? I mean, should I just put it in 4low when I get off-road? I plan to take it out for a little trail ride this weekend just to play... nothing serious, but a Jeep friend of mine who has been hounding me about my choice of vehicle is probably going with. I would hate to be in the wrong position and get into trouble. lol Afterall, I have defended my VX pretty well... I'd hate to get there and find out that it isn't REALLY capable. That would seriously suck! lol Anyway, lemme know.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Originally posted by VehiX
When to use high (High range 4 wheel drive w/ TOD):

Use this for normal driving on dry, wet, icy or snow covered roads. This position provides greater traction 4-wheel drive.

When to use 4 LOW (low range four wheel drive):

Use this for maximum power and traction. Use 4L for climbing or descending steep hills, off road driving and hard pulling in sand, mud or deep snow.[/i]

If driving in sand be sure to lower your tire pressure down a bit for better traction. Do not forget to air up when returning to paved roads.

Note: NEVER MOVE THE TRANSFER CONTROL LEVER FROM HIGH TO 4L OR FROM 4L TO HIGH WHILE THE VEHICLE IS MOVING. ENSURE YOU ARE AT A DEAD STOP AND IN NEUTRAL WITH THE PARKING BREAK ON. ENSURE YOUR SHIFT IS QUICK AND ACCURATE. IF YOU DO NOT SHIFT IN TO GEAR PROPERLY AND YOU DO NOT HAVE THE E-BRAKE ON YOUR VEHICLE CAN ROLL AS THE DRIVE LINE IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION.

Know your gearing options before going off road.

D: First to fourth

This position is for all normal forward driving. This gear reduces vehicle noise and is best gear for max fuel economy.

3Rd:

When operating your vehicle on slippery roads, on a long descending slope, or on a road with many sharp curves you will want to use "Engine Braking". At these times use 3rd.

2ND: First to second gear:

You will use second gear when descending down a moderate grade where you want to slow down a little without using the brake itself. Shift back to D or 3rd once you have completed your descent and the roads levels off.

L:

Use this option when braking down severe grades to put less strain on your braking system (heat) and utilize "Engine Braking" . L combined with 4LO can allow you to literally crawl down steep grades without using the brakes. this will feel odd to you at first but you will find it a very pleasurable and reassuring feeling on steep grades after using this option the first couple of times. Please note:

[i]it is possible for you to shift in to L or 1st gear at any speed, however the transmission will not actually shift into first gear until vehicle speed is below 27 mph.

Stuff you should know about how your tranny works while shifting gears when the vehicle is moving so you know what to expect from your vehicle and ensuring you are at the proper rpm and in the proper gear for the roads ahead:

With the shift lever in 2 , the vehicle will start in first gear and automatically shift in to second.

With the shift lever in L, the tranny will not upshift at all in the power mode. This gives you positive control over engine speed similar to that which you would not have in a manual tranny.

The usual reason for selecting a lower range gear is to obtain "engine braking" when traveling in the mountains or in heavy traffic.

The lock up clutch will engage when the tranny is in: 2nd (2, 3, or d) 3rd( 3 or d ) and 4th(d)

More usefull knowledge while we are on the subject:

You should not exceed certain speeds depending on your gear selection. below is the MAX speeds you should reach depending on the gear you are using.

D: 115 mph
L: 35 mph
2: 65 mph
3: 65 mph

Be sure to read an off road manaual or check on line for usefull information to help you keep the shiny side up. Never 4 wheel alone and be prepared with tools, tow straps, food, water etc. Always use a spotter in tough situations.

KNOW YOUR VEHICLES LIMITS AND KNOW YOUR OWN LIMITS!!!

One should carefully practice driving the VX off road and get to know what it and you are capable of.

With all that being said, you should be able to spank your friends cherokee , wrangler and liberty capablility wise hands down!

As to all who got off the subject and hijacked this thread, think of other folks who happened to stop by and read up on the VX or wish to join this board......you make the rest of us look like a bunch of disorganized children that they may not chose to be afiliated with!

Now SIMMA DOWN NOW!!! and get back on topic will ya :D

Hmmm... that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot VehiX! I just thought I'd make this new thread with the info that was really important... that way I can make the old thread go away.... IT NEVER HAPPENED! ;Db;

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Moncha
04/12/2003, 11:18 AM
Good job! And you're not even a Moderator ;)

One thing that got left out was Dobie's and your question about the TOD indicator lights being lit up as you drive..

Again here's a short explanation (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/misc.php?action=faq&page=6#53)