PDA

View Full Version : "BRAKE" Light

transio
02/13/2006, 08:37 AM
My "BRAKE" light came on yesterday for about 15 minutes while driving, then went back off. I checked the parking brake, and it was all the way down. Could this mean a simple DIY like I need to top off the brake fluid, or should I take it in and have it checked out?

skunkworks
02/13/2006, 10:40 AM
Fill up you master cyllinder to the bottom of the necked down part. There is a float in there to warn you of a low level and since the fluid fills in behind the piston in the calipher as the pads wear it can also indicate the approaching need for pads.

albert
________
Dodge Aries history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Aries)

shoota77
02/13/2006, 05:09 PM
mine came on when i had a bunk fuse. fixed the fuse and it went away.

BBVX
02/13/2006, 05:38 PM
Ours has been going off and on forever. Someone posted in an earlier thread that a possible cause is loose change down in the armrest making a contact and telling the brake indicator light to come on. I haven't torn ours apart yet, but it's on my honey-do list. Check I should check the fluid while I'm at it. :p

Brian

transio
02/14/2006, 07:33 AM
I figured it out today... when the car warms up, the light goes off. I think the cold weather is making the fluid contract enough to trigger the low fluid light, and when it heats up from use, it expands a bit and the light goes back off.

I'm gonna fill up the reservoir today. Anyone know off hand if we use DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid?