PDA

View Full Version : Wheel studs

Triathlete
02/12/2006, 08:49 PM
Okay, so today I managed to break off one of my rear wheel studs. What do I need to do to replace this? What size do I need? I know you just tap them out and insert the new one but from looking at the back I can't see the back of the stud. What all do I need to remove to do this?
Thanks for any help!

SPAZZ
02/12/2006, 10:49 PM
put rear on stands..remove the wheel...undo brakeline bracket bolt and undo 4 bolts holding axle shaft on...clamp off brakeline so it doesn't leak all over and then you can slide entire shaft out. Then you can take apart as needed to replace the broken part.
Auto parts store or manual should be able to tell you what size.

Triathlete
02/13/2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks Spazz...sounds pretty easy. Will give it a shot.

SPAZZ
02/13/2006, 10:37 AM
to get shaft out if it sticks you might have to turn driveline to get the diff to move a little...do this by chocking the wheels and putting in neutral. Easier with both wheels in the rear on stands.

Triathlete
02/13/2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks again Spazz! Hows the SAS going? We going to see you in Moab testing it out this year?

Triathlete
02/26/2006, 07:09 PM
Changing out the stud turned out to be an easy and inexpensive fix. Only had to remove the brake caliper and rotor. Tapped out the old one and finagled the new one in. The part was $2.09 at Checkers. Took 30 minutes max!