PDA

View Full Version : Whineing T-Case

GeekOnAmission
02/06/2006, 07:52 PM
Hi, I am a new member, so new, I dont even have my VX yet :p . I have been doing my homework for about 4 month on the vx, and finally found one, the only one for sale with in 500 miles of me. I pounced on the ad, and swung it. Just went yesterday, to take a test drive, and exchanged cash. I will get it wed. night. But on the test drive, it seemed to be in perfect running condition, but every time I let off the accelerator, to coast, I hear a whining from the transfer case. I have a land rover discovery with full time 4wd, and it has a very loud drivetrain, but I was wondering if this is normal for a vx, and I think it might be low on fluid, it has never seen dirt, so they don't bother to mantain the 4wd system. Please respond, I am working myself up to a new ulcer worrying about my vx. Thanx., PS: Is there anybody else in so cal, who would like to show me what the vx can do?

psychos2
02/06/2006, 08:15 PM
some info in this post may help. shawn

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4516

Anita
02/06/2006, 09:34 PM
The easiest thing to look at first would be the tires: Are they all the same size? If so do all four tires have equal wear on them? And is the air pressure equal in each? By experience I found that whining while coasting (like between 10-30 mph) can be caused by one tire with lower pressure than the others. If all looks clear there then you can look elsewhere for the problem.

Andrey
02/07/2006, 03:25 PM
Also ask when they've serviced (changed gear lube) ? If they did not here might be your answer. If you get the car change everything to synthetics - I did and VX became 30% quiter (my subjective perception)... Good luck !