PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild update

steelzeus
02/02/2006, 05:45 AM
As some of you may know my car blew up and im in the process of a rebuild well, the oil rings on every one of the pistons was stuck on the piston. I was losing oil due to excessive blow by because of that. So if any of you guys are losing alot of oil that may be the cause. And no my car didnt blow blue smoke. But on a lighter not these engine look as though there built very well and even after 80,000 miles on the odometer I could still see the honing markings on the cylinder walls and it looks as though the engine is like new! Oh and by the waqy I spun a rod bearing thats what eventually took the engine out of commission.

thedutchguy
02/02/2006, 10:33 AM
Piston rings get stuck for a reason: carbon build up, or bad oil or overheating.
Any idea what caused it?

steelzeus
02/02/2006, 03:13 PM
it was not the piston rings themselves it was the oil control rings. the motor ran like normal up until it spun the rod bearing. the valves are also about 4 thousanths out of spec. every single damn one of them. and that was from the factory like that. I'm assuming that Isuzu may have gotten a bad batch of oil control rings there fore resulting in the dreaded problems that we have.

steelzeus
02/02/2006, 03:15 PM
oops i just reread my original post and it doesnt really make sense the oil control rings on all of the pistons were stuck and wouldnt move at all on the piston itself.

thedutchguy
02/03/2006, 09:21 AM
If there's no carbon buildup, my best guess is lack of oil.
Be sure to check al oil passages.Also some oil / gas combinations cause "black sludge"

steelzeus
02/03/2006, 01:37 PM
there was carbon buildup due to the blowby created from the stuck oil rings. I've always used mobil one synthetic 10w-30. the oil passages seem to be alright too though

steelzeus
02/03/2006, 01:38 PM
anyone have any idea why the oil rings got stuck on every single one of the pistons i mean i could see it happening to a couple maybe but not every one. any ideas??

psychos2
02/03/2006, 04:23 PM
did you take any pics? shawn

steelzeus
02/04/2006, 05:35 AM
not yet but i should be able to find the dig camera