PDA

View Full Version : How should I raise my new baby?

Perry
02/01/2006, 09:25 PM
Hey Gang... Newbie here.

So I can hardly sit still with my new VX on the way. I got if off Elric. Only 6,200 miles. I've been looking at the all the things many of you have chosen to do to your VX, and I think I need help deciding whether or not I will make any mods. The only thing that has been done is a rear hitch which I'm concerned about.

Firstly, its gunna be a daily driver... no way around it that is financially within reason. But I do work from home so this should keep miles low.

Second, I am not very mechanically inclined at all.

Third, I don't really care for any mods that seem to deface the purity of the car.

Fourth, I think I would love to supercharge, but my first car was a Mustang GT convertible... it was totaled within a week... so I'm a little afraid of having too much power at my disposal... however... in the VX... you get challenged a lot... and I will be damned if some jerk in his Jeep Cherokee is gunna smoke me... it happened with my first VX... and I also got beat by an F150.

The list really keeps going... I am in a stage where I want to be drawing boundaries. Like what kind of off roading if any will I subject the car to? And is it wrong not to allow the VX to be a VX?

I also would like to go up to 20's with some very nice rims and tires and make it more of a street car rather than a dirt buggy.

So these are my thoughts... I would appreciate yours. Especially concerning the supercharger? What are the consequences?

How should I raise my new baby?

Peace,

-Perry

VehiX
02/02/2006, 06:35 AM
I say do what you want to it. It shouldn't matter too much what our opinions are ;)

Aside from that, I'd say if you have the cash for a super charger go ahead and do it! Don't even waste time thinking about it!

As for putting 20's on it, if you're worried about racing around town. 20's will add unsprung weight and will possibly slow you down off the starting line. However, depending on the rim and tire choice ... it could "look" really sweet! :cool:

It sounds like you've looked around the galleries to see what others have done to their VX and as you can see, there isn't much after market love for the VX, so either you like the mods available or you don't. You could also get creative like many here have and start fabricating your own custom ideas to make your VX even more unique than the next :)

I'm sure you'll make the right choices, you already have by purchasing a VX. Just take your time with the mods. Make sure they're what you want and be sure that YOU feel good about what you've done to it.

Good luck :)

Anita
02/02/2006, 10:11 AM
I would talk to a number of VXers who have superchargers. Email or PM Cyrk and go from there. Get the advice from a number of guys who have superchargers before having it done.

As for offroading - the VX excels at it. Just ask any of the members here who have gone to Moab, for instance. The stock VX has been on some pretty difficult trails there and have performed beautifully.

Congrats on your new acquisition! Welcome to the VX family.

Ruflyf
02/02/2006, 12:22 PM
S/C does add alot of power, BUT its not really a "out of control" power because of the 4wd. I havent driven mine in 2wd, so have no idea how squirrely it gets in 2wd yet. I suppose I could try 2wd if you want me to.

Perry
02/02/2006, 10:19 PM
Anita, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as far as who I should talk to. And thanks for welcoming me.

Ruflyf, I didn't now that you could choose to have the 2wd or 4wd with the supercharger... I would want it to be running all the time... I'm not sure what you mean when you say you could try 2wd... is it hard to switch... I'm confused. I just don't know enough about cars. When you say 2wd, do you mean in normal TOD All WD regular driving?

Ruflyf
02/03/2006, 06:20 AM
I have locking hubs put on mine, which alows me to "unlock" them, making the car 2wd, sorry for the confusion.

VehiX
02/03/2006, 06:43 AM
I have locking hubs put on mine, which alows me to "unlock" them, making the car 2wd, sorry for the confusion.

I don't believe this is a true two wheel drive set up. :_huh:

The front drive shaft is still turning regardless if the hubs are locked or not. Locking the hubs will just give you 50/50 (4 wheel high) or TOD. You sure you have a true 2 wheel drive set up with locking the hubs? :_wtf:

Have you dynoed with this set up yet? Last time Tone did that he broke the front drive shaft if I'm not mistaken

WormGod
02/03/2006, 07:48 AM
Only has 6200 miles? Garage it, put a cover over it, and turn out the lights. Dont open the door to the garage for 60 years. That has got to be a gem right there. Thought I was fairly low with 36k miles, but you take the cake and the icing too. ;)

Do what you want with it. Cant tell a man (or woman, sorry Anita) how to raise his VX. However you decide to raise it, just enjoy it. Thats the key. I have enjoyed my last 5 years of VX parenthood and spoiling her never gets old.

Ruflyf
02/03/2006, 11:45 AM
Vehix,

I have put my car up on all 4 jacks, and with the Aisin hubs unlocked and the car in drive the front wheels do not turn.

Chopper
02/06/2006, 05:07 PM
Ditto on the dubs, the handling will go to crap. Get lighter wheels and (better)tires(turn the Stones into tire swings)stick to no more than the 18's you got...wider though...265 or275 won't cause much trouble . Get a set of nice,steel,brakelines and you're on your way to making a great car better. Pull the back seat (unless you REALLY need it)bloody useless anyway.Get runflats...ditch the heavy,inconvient spare. You might look into a CF hood insert, and lose the weighty OE one. Last, dump the 55gal. drum of a muffler Isuzu gave you...something throaty but not obnoxoious. KEEP THE STUFF YOU TAKE OFF/OUT. none of these changes void or harm anything and can be easily undone. did I say get a K&N airfilter? Get a K&N air filter. These are the few things I've done (plus change all lubricants,grease and all, to Mobil One. My times improved,no problems at all,and now with 21000 miles,it is getting 21 and 22 mpg routinely! This is flat Florida. Think light. MY $.02.......Wayne

VehiX
02/06/2006, 09:53 PM
Vehix,

I have put my car up on all 4 jacks, and with the Aisin hubs unlocked and the car in drive the front wheels do not turn.

Really? What speed did you take it up to while it was on the jacks? TOD doesn't kick in until about 7 mph IIRC. I'm not doubting you, I just thought that this was impossible without removing the front drive shaft or having a TOD disconnect mod. :_wtf:

AREA 51
02/07/2006, 09:51 AM
the tires won't turn but the rest of the front drivetrain will

Ruflyf
02/07/2006, 11:50 AM
Like area51 said, its the just wheels that arent spinning, but afterall, when I made the comment originally, I was talking about traction. Vehix, I really cant remember the speed, wanting to say 30-40mph, it started making my antilock system freak out, even made the trouble light come on, but reset itslef shortly after getting back on the ground with normal driving.

VehiX
02/07/2006, 01:09 PM
Gotcha! Thanks for explaining :)