PDA

View Full Version : VX meets steel shopping cart head on in parking lot

Sheik-YurBooty
01/30/2006, 10:22 PM
The other nite I was running a bit late. I just left Waldbaums & ran to get in my VX . I needed to be in my house in five minutes so that I could make the 11:30 Backgammon tournament in which I really looked foward to playing. Without any traffic & if I made all 3 lights , with some luck I just might make the 7 minute journey in the 5 minutes. Well , this is what took place......I got in my VX , & put the key in the ignition & started out to get out of the parking lot praying that I might get out while the light was still green. It seemed that the 200 feet or so from my parking spot to the light was pretty much a clear & straight path. So as it started to move some groceries flew out of the bags which were on the passenger side floor, so I stopped to put them back in the bags because I was'nt too sure if any milk or what ever there was would cause a mess if they opened ( I love to keep it looking as new as possible, who doesn't?). Now off to the green/yellow light I went, when all of a sudden a Lexus 300 SUV out of nowhere was creeping in front of me. So knowing the potential of my VX, I gave it a little pedal push to cut around him, when all of a sudden out of the twilight zone stood this steel shooping cart. There was without a doubt there was going to be some heavy contact, even if I jammend on the breaks........So now it was showtime. Impossible to avoid it I hit the mother head on & it went flying up over a dumpster at about the speed of light . It want at least 12 feet up & about 30 ft. distance to to clear the dumpster. Needless to say that no matter what happened to the VX it was too late for me to get crazy about it & too get out & look. I didnt want to get any madder than I was, so through the now RED light I went knowing I was in good hands with allstate( $250. deductable)..I was gonna call my agent in the AM, first thing was all I was thinking about till got home....Unreal I made the Tournament (lost it in the semis) but best of all , just a mionor scratch to the driver headlight. I kept going down to the garage to look if anything else was damaged, Nope!!!!! Its a Tank!!!!!

WormGod
01/31/2006, 07:00 AM
I saw a baby stroller WITH A BABY IN IT get hit in front of a grocery store years ago because someone in a BMW "had to be somewhere in a hurry". Forgive me if I cant feel sorry for you.

Whaleboy
01/31/2006, 01:33 PM
Well, you're in luck because I *DO* feel sorry for you, no extra points for babys or old ladies.. That sucks.. Being in a hurry is all about population control!

I would've loved to have seen that basket fly, hahaha... good stuff :D

transio
01/31/2006, 01:36 PM
I saw a baby stroller WITH A BABY IN IT get hit in front of a grocery store years ago because someone in a BMW "had to be somewhere in a hurry". Forgive me if I cant feel sorry for you.I'm pretty sure Sheik wasn't the guy who hit that baby. What an odd transference of anger! :confused:

Bulldoggie
01/31/2006, 03:47 PM
I'm with "Wormgod" on this one.
If you hit something in a busy parking lot. You are driving too fast.
If it flew over a dumpster, you were driving way too fast
I think you would be shocked at the value of a shopping cart in court.
BTW My youngest rides in carts all the time.
Be happy it wasn't life long lesson.

AlaskaVX
01/31/2006, 03:54 PM
12 feet up & about 30 ft. distance to clear the dumpster.
Nice distance! ;)

Sheik-YurBooty
01/31/2006, 05:26 PM
Ease up a bit WormGod &Bulldoggie, If you read the thread again , I stated that it was at NITE , and I never said that it was a BUSY parking lot. I didnt need to weave between other cars or even children in shopping carts. I just gave it gas to get around the SUV in front while trying to make it back in time.It was my error by not stating that the lot had only 2 or 3 cars in it, & they were parked on the far side of the lot, which gave me a lot of space to go around w/o hitting another anything but a childless shopping cart., I went back there this eveing to get an approx measurement. It was about 40 feet that the cart flew to clear the almost 6 & 1/2 ft hight dumpster. OK, it was'nt 12 ft high, but it sure as hell looked like it to me at the time. ...................Thanks transio for underdtanding

Y33TREKker
02/01/2006, 03:29 AM
One of our other members told me he hit a deer on the way to work one morning at somewhere between 40-50 mph. I've seen his VX since then and not a scratch.

I wonder how much damage would have been done to the Lexus. Did the Lexus owner have the courtesy of thanking you afterwards for running blocker through the parking lot? :)

psychos2
02/01/2006, 04:28 AM
I think the point some are trying to make is that it could have been a baby in a shopping cart.You did not see the cart til it was too late. What if it was someone on a bike or a baby in a stroller? shawn

sature
02/01/2006, 06:58 AM
vx shopping cart competition at empty safeway parking lot after hours anyone? we also need judges for artistic point, force of the contact, distance and height points. lol....... :p

WormGod
02/01/2006, 07:16 AM
No transferance of anger. Trust me, I got that out a LONG time ago at the scene. I just relayed a real life event. If you all saw a resemblance between the occurances, than YOU drew the conclusion.... and that was my intention. ;)

It just amazes me to see how many appear to "celebrate" and "praise" this event. I'm not being a hater, I just find a great interest in what makes individuals get excited over things where as others wouldnt.

Personally, I would be pissed had I hit a shopping cart (damage or not). And, I would probably be too embarrassed to post about it. :p

Bulldoggie
02/01/2006, 08:21 AM
This is what flying 40' through the air means to me:
In May of 1980 I was struck by a boat that went over the top of the boat I was in. HE testified in court that I flew 40 feet through the air, from where I landed, I would say he was very close. The resulting injuries; 3 broken ribs,
1 rib punctured my left lung, 6" hole in my back, torn muscles in my back, bruised liver and kidneys, a few misc. stitches. I landed in about 1' of water on all 4s. any deeper and I would have drowned. If he had struck me just a few inches higher only my head would have flown 40'.

Life long lessons happen in less than a few seconds. short winded, back spasms, are just a few of the reminders that I still have.
BTW he was the ONLY other boat on the river that day
I'm not trying to take anyone to the woodshed, I'm just saying play it safe out there.

transio
02/01/2006, 09:22 AM
I hit a bird head-on at 60+ mph (unintentionally). A cloud of feathers dissipated behind me, but not a scratch on my front bumper. Just a big splotch of bird leftovers.

sature
02/01/2006, 03:42 PM
Also how do you guys went from shopping cart to baby strollers. HOnestly.. don't lecture other ppl here.... we're all here to share the love of a car! not to piss on other's parade.

come on..

Bulldoggie
02/01/2006, 09:38 PM
vx shopping cart competition at empty safeway parking lot after hours anyone? we also need judges for artistic point, force of the contact, distance and height points. lol....... :p
If this was the FUN event, I would have brought the port-a-poty, so no one would PISS on it.

I read; swerving to avoid a car crash and stepping on the gas only to find no clear path.
I can not see how anyone can defend this type of driving! Breaking and letting the other car go first, would have only added 20' (one car length) to this trip!

OH! wait, I remember 3 pages of Defence of a driver who said that safe drivers were WUSSIES for not passing on the shoulder in a constuction zone!

It's nice to know more VX parts are on the way.

I'm sorry for being angry, I'm on drugs for a back strain.
Am I really the weakest link??? WORMY?????
Not feeling the LOVE

sature
02/01/2006, 10:02 PM
i have two instances for that one.. bulldog

i was driving on a busy highway when the traffic stopped.. a 18 wheeler was behind me going full speed.. i have two choices 1. be crushed to death or 2. drive into another lane and risk hitting other faster lane traffic. As you can see... which choice i picked already.

this other time i was going up this hill in the snow. A 18 wheeler was infront of me but all of a sudden.. it started sliding backwards.
this time i also have two choices..
1. get crushed by truck from the front while anchored by other cars behind me.
2. drive over other ppl front yard and fences so the car behind me can get crushed.

in both instances i have to make my own path and hit something or die.....

there's my two cents. or two life experence that not in the defensive driving book.

Teaching defensive driving or driving alone should be left to teachers.... we're all here to share stories.

Bulldoggie
02/01/2006, 10:10 PM
You mean there was a Semi-truck closing behind him, and that's why he didn't let the other car go first????
I missed that part.

sature
02/01/2006, 10:21 PM
i also missed the part where there was a baby or anything in the cart.

also.. was he avoidiing a car crash... no..

i was talking about how you all seem to get away from his whole point that he was not stopping to hit the empty cart in an almost empty parking lot with 2 to 3 cars.

"the lot had only 2 or 3 cars in it, & they were parked on the far side of the lot, which gave me a lot of space to go around w/o hitting another anything but a childless shopping cart."

and i was replying to you ideal defensive condition.. of sitting and waiting.

I'm sorry to read everything in the whole thread. maybe i'm just too literate.

Bulldoggie
02/01/2006, 10:30 PM
maybe i'm just too literate.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm illiterate too?????
that's why safe driving is wrong? I don't know how to read?

PISS OFF!!!!!!!

sature
02/01/2006, 10:48 PM
come on .... this was a good ranting... don't need to use that language
like they say in Saturday Night Live

"Simmer Down..." :p

psychos2
02/02/2006, 05:26 AM
The problem i have with this is that someone could have been hurt or killed !!! "It was an empty parking lot." It was not empty enough. The shopping cart could have easily been someone. I do not know how anyone can look past that possibilty. Maybe i am just old or illiterate. But would you have been as proud if you killed someone? I know no one was in the cart or near the cart but he did not know that before he drove around the other car. Then it would have been too late. :mad: :mad: :mad: shawn

WormGod
02/02/2006, 07:13 AM
Anyways guys, whats done is done. The would'a-beens and could'a-beens are what they are. Nothing happened, nobody got hurt, and thats that. Its best that way.

Lets just pretend this debate never happened. Too many nerves are getting touched here and there is simply no need to get this involved since, none of us are capable of changing or doing anything about it anyways.

msargent
02/02/2006, 08:07 AM
Hey! a big HI YA'LL! I was recently rear-ended by a Lexus while sitting @ red light , the guy never even attempted to brake,so I got smacked @ about 35-40 mph, gotta love this the lexus slid up under my back end,so as i'm driving off the front end of the car (ha-ha) i'm thinking I got no rear end left. WRONG ! I'm pleased 2 say I only suffered damage 2 the molding(no body damage @ all!) which will be replaced. But sorry 2 say the Lexus didn't make it out alive,it had 2 b towed. FYI all passangers in the lexus came out ok,no one was injured.. LOVE MY BAD-A** VX!!!

Bulldoggie
02/02/2006, 02:39 PM
The other nite I was running a bit late. I just left Waldbaums & ran to get in my VX . I needed to be in my house in five minutes so that I could make the 11:30 Backgammon tournament in which I really looked foward to playing. Without any traffic & if I made all 3 lights , with some luck I just might make the 7 minute journey in the 5 minutes. Well , this is what took place......I got in my VX , & put the key in the ignition & started out to get out of the parking lot praying that I might get out while the light was still green. It seemed that the 200 feet or so from my parking spot to the light was pretty much a clear & straight path. So as it started to move some groceries flew out of the bags which were on the passenger side floor, so I stopped to put them back in the bags because I was'nt too sure if any milk or what ever there was would cause a mess if they opened ( I love to keep it looking as new as possible, who doesn't?). Now off to the green/yellow light I went, when all of a sudden a Lexus 300 SUV out of nowhere was creeping in front of me. So knowing the potential of my VX, I gave it a little pedal push to cut around him, when all of a sudden out of the twilight zone stood this steel shooping cart. There was without a doubt there was going to be some heavy contact, even if I jammend on the breaks........So now it was showtime. Impossible to avoid it I hit the mother head on & it went flying up over a dumpster at about the speed of light . It want at least 12 feet up & about 30 ft. distance to to clear the dumpster. Needless to say that no matter what happened to the VX it was too late for me to get crazy about it & too get out & look. I didnt want to get any madder than I was, so through the now RED light I went knowing I was in good hands with allstate( $250. deductable)..I was gonna call my agent in the AM, first thing was all I was thinking about till got home....Unreal I made the Tournament (lost it in the semis) but best of all , just a mionor scratch to the driver headlight. I kept going down to the garage to look if anything else was damaged, Nope!!!!! Its a Tank!!!!!
I forgot intentionally blowing through a red light!
HIGH FIVES??????

psychos2
02/02/2006, 03:08 PM
Anyways guys, whats done is done. The would'a-beens and could'a-beens are what they are. Nothing happened, nobody got hurt, and thats that. Its best that way.

Lets just pretend this debate never happened. Too many nerves are getting touched here and there is simply no need to get this involved since, none of us are capable of changing or doing anything about it anyways.

Wormgod,
This is true, nothing happened. BUT,WHAT ABOUT NEXT TIME ????? Because when you drive like that ,THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME !!! Shawn

WormGod
02/02/2006, 06:49 PM
Wormgod,
This is true, nothing happened. BUT,WHAT ABOUT NEXT TIME ????? Because when you drive like that ,THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME !!! Shawn

Ya, but you dont have to tell me. I had a drunk driver hit me head on in my old VX. Bad enough to put me in surgery and put him in a 6ft hole. Sometimes, people have to learn the hard way. I just dont have the energy to continue on with the subject. *shrug*

SPAZZ
02/02/2006, 09:02 PM
kind of hard to belive as I hit a shopping cart as I was parking in a parking lot...barely tapped it and it bent my hood up.

Then again...I know a soft roll from stand still will cost over $17,000 worth of damage.

Keep driving this way and be sure to post pics each time :p

Sheik-YurBooty
02/04/2006, 03:51 AM
Hey Shawn , to answer your question in which you stated" Would you be just as proud if I killed someone?" I'll throw the ball in your court & let you decide

Bulldoggie
02/04/2006, 04:20 AM
I'm Sorry that I Expressed so much anger on this thread. I want everyone to know that I am NOT angry with anyone on this site. My judgement is clouded by a LOT of pain medications, in hindsight, I wish I could undo my imput, but once it is posted it is too late to delete. This is one of my favorite internet sites, and I feel that I poisoned it some how. :nob:

psychos2
02/04/2006, 07:08 AM
Just some food for thought. http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20060203/1657187337.htm&ewp=ewp_news_0206car_crash

SPAZZ
02/04/2006, 09:58 AM
delete the 1'st post on the thread and the whole thread will be delted...unless the thread is closed that is...

Whaleboy
02/06/2006, 04:41 PM
Oh my god, I'm disgusted and totally outraged by that story.. To think that Lincoln beat out that ZX!

The humanity...!