PDA

View Full Version : Darlington Off Road Products?

biju
01/30/2006, 09:36 AM
Dear VX'ers...

I don't know much about the history of Darlington Off Road Products... For all I know, the individual running that site could be a member of this site! :cool:

Just curious as to if anybody else has had any issues ordering products from them? Things like getting them to reply to emails or even getting products in a timely manner?

I ordered tie rod 'Sheildz' from the site on Jan 5th. My card was actually charged on Jan 10th. After waiting a while I contacted them to find out where my Sheildz were. They replied after several attempts to let me know that they had been shipped and would arrive sometime last week. Well, the product failed to arrive. I've sent several requests for information on my shipment - like a tracking number - or something to prove my item was sent. I'm not getting any response...

I'm sure I'm just missing something - like maybe they're on vacation, or running into hard times, or ??? Is this normal from Darlington?

-biju.

Triathlete
01/30/2006, 09:53 AM
Never dealt with them personally but I know a lot of people here and at the 4x4Wire have. I have always heard great things about Joe. It is a small business and I know a lot of the stuff he sells are custom fabbed by him so maybe that is the hold up. I'm sure he'll make good with you. I have yet to hear any negative dealings with him. I know he posts on the 4X4Wire.
Make sure and get some pics up of them when you get them installed!

biju
01/30/2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks Billy!

Just the reassurance I was looking for. I guess I'm just anxious to get them - and wanted to make sure this was just a freak thing (or the norm - either way...) :cool: :cool: :cool:

I would have thought he'd have them on the shelf - and didn't think about them having to fab them. good point.

-b.

Cyrk
01/30/2006, 10:39 AM
I have there Stainless Steel brake lines and have not had a problem with the ordering or the product! Thumbs up.

AlaskaVX
01/30/2006, 10:40 AM
I have dealt with them before.... great product, he did have to fab up my diff drop brackets before he sent them, and he was pretty quick about it. I think I always talked to him on the phone. He may not check emails all that often.

bobmumgaard
01/30/2006, 11:42 AM
I've dealt with him too.
I've found that he responds to phone calls much better than e-mails and is always eager to help. I believe he is the only one running the shop or just has one or two helpers and doesn't keep very much inventory, if any on hand, so keep that in mind. He also makes some pretty complicated peices (look at the bumpers!), this adds to delays.

The shipping takes awhile as well. It took over a week to ship my diff drop brackets, but when they did get here they were very well done and fit perfectly.
Speaking of which I need to mail him my cores, all do that today.

All in all it was a good experience, probably 180 degrees from dealing with you're typical mass online 4x4 supplier.

bobmumgaard

AnalogVX
01/30/2006, 02:43 PM
I got the tie rod shieldz from him too. It took a while to get them. He fabricates to order. I think it was 4 weeks(?).

E-ZooZoo One
01/30/2006, 02:57 PM
From Darlington Off-Road's website:

> !!!NOTICE!!! <

Effective December 31, 2005

Darlington Off-Road will temporarily cease accepting credit-card orders until approximately April of 2006. This means the 'cart' feature will be turned off. This temporary condition is due to a pending changeover in credit card hosting and also a probable change in webhost as well. DOR is also scaling back production to catch up on back-orders. Additional orders will be handled on a case by case basis. For cash-only purchases, please contact Joe Darlington at 208-590-0104 or email: darlington-offroad@nc.rr.com

Darlington Off-Road apologizes for any inconvenience this temporary situation will cause.

...I've found that he responds to phone calls much better than e-mails and is always eager to help.
TRUE! – Maybe you should give him a call.

biju
01/30/2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks, all...

I'll have to just sit tight and wait. It sounds like the Shieldz are well worth it!

-biju.

SPAZZ
01/30/2006, 04:11 PM
for the price of the shields I could find some metal to sandwhich around the stock tierods at Home Depot for the price of not eating out for one lunch.

Also, instead of spending as much $$$ as he wants for the drop down brackets just install inner cv boot on first..when doing this clamp bigger end on first...then push smaller end up as high as you can then clamp it so it does not get clamped to stay inbetween that grove where it is suposed to stay stock. Now the boot does not get stretched out with articulation.

ALOT OF $$$$ saved.

Triathlete
01/30/2006, 09:40 PM
Or you could always pick up a pair of THESE (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=819945&page=7&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) from Matt at Indy4x :thumbup:

biju
02/07/2006, 01:50 PM
Alas...

It was just my imagination running wild. 10k apologies...

The Shieldz are great. Even threw in an extra somethin' somethin' for me!

Thanks DOR.

-biju.