PDA

View Full Version : Jeep SRT8

Cyrk
01/20/2006, 10:41 PM
Man I love this truck, not anywhere as nice looking as our VX's but it is tough looking and fast to boot... I am going to test drive a black one next week.
Fully loaded is around 45k. My VX is giving me some problems again... Do not think I will sell it but if this jeep is nice enough you never know. I need 4 doors since I have the new baby to cart around. But I just love my VX too much, wish I could afford 2 have both.

http://www.drivesrt.com/en/jeep/

6.1-liter SRT8 Hemi V8
420 HP
420 TQ
0-60 in 4.7
1/4 in 13.3
0.92g of the Skidpad
0-100-0 low 19 secs
60-0 125 feet

Check out these vids...

http://www.wkjeeps.com/video/jeep_srt8_tv.wmv

http://www.wkjeeps.com/video/SRT8_Pikes_Peak_med.wmv

http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/a/05/e7/87/48_4.JPG

http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/a/05/ed/d8/ff_4.JPG

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/a/05/e7/60/54_4.JPG

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/a/05/e7/c9/42_4.JPG

http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/a/05/ed/a3/43_4.JPG
http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/a/05/e7/54/67_4.JPG

shoota77
01/20/2006, 10:53 PM
Tell me about it...I tried to talk my mother into getting one (totally for her of course, it really doesn't matter to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I may look for one a few years down the road...good luck if you get it!

mbeach
01/21/2006, 09:08 AM
Those are some nice (performance) numbers, but do you really want to pull .92Gs with a baby on board? Or a 4.7 0-60 even?

$45k puts you in BMW X5 territory, which, while not as fast, is likely to be far more comfortable, safe, reliable and sensible.
I've had both (Jeeps and BMWs) in my driveway. The Jeeps taught me how to turn wrenches and the Bimmers taught me how to drive. Which one is more important to you?

Not to rain on your parade (it's just what I do I'm afraid), but lately I've been associating the SRT badge with "cars/trucks that didn't need to be built." Anyone can install a big motor, but as is the case with the SRT4 and SRT10, frosting on dogpoo doesn't make a cake -it just makes frosting covered dogpoo.

Ruflyf
01/21/2006, 09:20 AM
hehe well said Mbeach

Elric
01/21/2006, 10:36 AM
A friend of mine working at BMW dealership advised (silently of course) against X5 citing quality issues. It is one of the most popular models...at the service department that is :) Jeep is awesome but does it have to be 6.1L engine? :( No wonder people overseas don't buy US vehicles...with import duty of 2.25 euros per cubic cm it gets VERY expensive...and I bet premium fuel only, huh? :)

CSTYLES
01/21/2006, 12:12 PM
My father bought an X5 a little over a year ago. It has been in the shop five or six times for electrical issues; sometimes for weeks at a time. Imagine having to jumpstart your Bimmer every morning. Their solution is to change the battery until the new one dies. It's on the thrid battery. We are currently trying to have the truck replaced under the Lemon law.

BigJoe
01/21/2006, 04:34 PM
My sister has a Grand Cherokee limited 8cyl. Although it has great omph, Her first one was replaced under the lemon law and her second one has had quite a few quality probelms.....

I hope they are getting better, that's one of the reasons why their resale value is so low.

transio
01/21/2006, 08:49 PM
Careful, this thing is a tank. The skidpad number may be impressive on paper, but I guarantee you that nothing that big and heavy will handle well. This is no sports car. Fling it around corners, and it'll either break lose control and spin, or those sticky tires will hold and you'll flip it.

Me, I'd rather have my VX. Enough power and handling to hold its own on the street, and still a great offroad performer, but no sports car wannabe by any means.

shoota77
01/22/2006, 08:34 AM
According to edmunds...

"More than just a straight-line runner, the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 handles the curves like a sport sedan. Among the handling enhancements are Bilstein shocks and beefy stabilizer bars for the independent front and live-axle rear suspension. A front strut tower brace adds stiffness to the chassis as well as additional street cred.

A stable cornering attitude guided by firm and precise steering show that all areas of performance were given equal weight. Running through the slalom at 63.5 mph, the SRT8 crushes the rear-wheel-drive TrailBlazer SS (60.3 mph) we recently tested and ties the Cayenne Turbo."

mbeach
01/22/2006, 10:28 AM
A friend of mine working at BMW dealership advised (silently of course) against X5 citing quality issues.

That really is horrifying.
Maybe it's punishment from God for having the Zs built in South Carolina. Similar to MBs curse for the Alabama M-Class.
I hope that it's not the start of a trend -I have been fantasizing about finding another '99 M3 for a summer car, so maybe I'll pre-date the curse.

Edmunds is hardly impartial, so I take everything with a grain -or spoonful of salt.

I was not too far from Anchorage last night -I had to drive to Willow and back to pick up a dog -the roads were NASTY. I'll bet you guys got dumped on.

shoota77
01/22/2006, 12:01 PM
mbeach...i'll have to take your word for it.

i'm in boston for a few more months where it was warm enough yesterday to get my motorcycle out for a nice ride!

:dance:

and i agree with your take on edmunds, though most agree it handles remarkably well for a SUVish type...

transio
01/22/2006, 02:20 PM
According to edmunds...

"More than just a straight-line runner, the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 handles the curves like a sport sedan. Among the handling enhancements are Bilstein shocks and beefy stabilizer bars for the independent front and live-axle rear suspension. A front strut tower brace adds stiffness to the chassis as well as additional street cred.

A stable cornering attitude guided by firm and precise steering show that all areas of performance were given equal weight. Running through the slalom at 63.5 mph, the SRT8 crushes the rear-wheel-drive TrailBlazer SS (60.3 mph) we recently tested and ties the Cayenne Turbo."
Shocks and braces will add stiffness and reduce body roll, but they won't decrease weight or lower the center of gravity. 63.5 mph is an impressive slalom speed for a truck, but it sucks for a sports car, and isn't a true indicator of handling.

WormGod
01/23/2006, 07:57 AM
Cyrk, dont test drive it if you dont want it. I drove one a couple weeks ago and damn near went ahead and traded in the VX. Good thing I had a buddy with me cause he talked me out of it.

It is a beauty though.... and quite affordable.

I still cringe at the Jeep service records though. I know too many mechanics that left Jeep dealerships because they were simply tired of working on the same old warranty work over and over and over again.

shoota77
01/23/2006, 11:14 AM
Shocks and braces will add stiffness and reduce body roll, but they won't decrease weight or lower the center of gravity. 63.5 mph is an impressive slalom speed for a truck, but it sucks for a sports car, and isn't a true indicator of handling.

However, for a sports sedan (which is what edmunds compared it to), 63.5 mph is great...for a truck it's amazing. In fact, out of the Acura RL, Audi A6 3.2, BMW 530xi, Infiniti M35x, and Lexus GS300 (all sport sedans tested by edmunds), only the RL was faster in the slalom...by .02 mph. So, while 63.5 may suck for a sports car (i didn't check), I'd say it was pretty good for a sports sedan (again, which is what edmunds compared it to.) But then again, I haven't driven it so in reality I have no basis for an argument... :)

driver3
01/23/2006, 12:15 PM
It's a chrysler... I don't care.. it'll run for the first 30k.. then fall apart

transio
01/23/2006, 12:39 PM
the Acura RL, Audi A6 3.2, BMW 530xi, Infiniti M35x, and Lexus GS300Those aren't sports sedans, they're "sporty" sedans. The BMW M3 and M5, Audi S4, Infiniti G35, etc. are sports sedans.

Anyhow, maybe I just don't get it about sport trucks. To each his own.

shoota77
01/23/2006, 04:08 PM
I just took the sport sedan from their title...

"2005 All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport Sedan Comparison Test"

And you have an Elise...you're totally biased (and I'm jealous, even though I don't think my 6'5 rear would fit in there)!!!

transio
01/23/2006, 04:42 PM
All-Wheel-Drive Luxury Sport SedanSo those are sporty AWD sedans. The "real" sports sedans are RWD. :D

Andrey
01/23/2006, 05:10 PM
It's a chrysler... I don't care.. it'll run for the first 30k.. then fall apart

I will second this motion ! Owned New Yorker LHS..... awesome ride - soft, powerfull, economic, great design - pathetic quality of build.... started fallen apart after 3 years... $800 EVERY week in repairs... waterpump, timing belt, front bearings, radiator, A/C condencer, rotten doors.....etc...etc....nightmare !!!!!!!!!

shoota77
01/23/2006, 10:07 PM
I can't wait to have a residence in an area where i can own a RWD any type car (my triumph bike doesn't count).

andrey...you still have your store on cambridge st., it's been a while since i've stopped by that area!

MZ-N10
01/23/2006, 11:01 PM
So those are sporty AWD sedans. The "real" sports sedans are RWD. :D

:p true....AWD sedans are rally cars....

Andrey
01/24/2006, 05:59 PM
I can't wait to have a residence in an area where i can own a RWD any type car (my triumph bike doesn't count).

andrey...you still have your store on cambridge st., it's been a while since i've stopped by that area!

yes I do.... more Belgian beers, more German beers... MORE>>>MORE>>>>MORE :)

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/29/2006, 09:36 AM
Found this article on AOL:

Super Fast SUV
Review: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
By CONOR TWOMEY

If the success of the Porsche Cayenne and the BMW X5 has taught us anything, it's that most SUV buyers aren't one bit interested in going near a blade of grass, let alone bouncing down the Rubicon Trail. They like the elevated driving position, the ease at which they can load and unload their junk, and the misplaced sense of safety that SUVs offer.

For most buyers, 4WD is useful to have when the roads get icy and it makes for a nice badge on the back, but most of these so-called "off-road" vehicles are traded in three years down the line with pristine low-ratio gears and an unmolested underbelly. They've been someone's two-ton commuter and little else, which is why Porsche and BMW simply dropped the pretense, fitted proper performance tires and tuned the suspension for on-road performance. Let the off-road nonsense to the likes of Land Rover and Jeep. Porsche and BMW make driving machines.

Except that Land Rover and Jeep weren't about to let these upstarts make them look like chumps. For six decades both companies have been successfully honing the on-road/off-road balance to bring us some of the most useful and versatile vehicles in the world, so it would stand to reason that when asked to eliminate any element of off-road ability and focusing on pure dynamics, Land Rover and Jeep engineers should be able to produce some truly epic SUVs, right?

Actually, that IS right. The 400-hp Range Rover SC is an astonishingly fast and agile vehicle for its size and weight but with active roll-bars, air suspension and a $70,000 price tag that's not so surprising. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, however, stomps even the blown Range Rover in terms of performance and it's little more than half the price of the Range Rover. You'd better be sitting down for this. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is about to rock your SUV world.

Ugly business afoot

Let's get the ugly business of numbers out of the way first, shall we? Under the hood lies Chrysler's versatile new SRT V-8, which is based on a reinforced version of the pushrod, iron-block, HEMI V-8 that powers everything Chrysler does these days, including their coffee machines and elevators, I suspect. The engine is bored out to 6.1 liters and uses a fully revised induction and exhaust system to help it rev to 6000 rpm, a whole thousand more than the regular HEMI. It does without the HEMI's displacement-on-demand technology, however, so it is a bit thirstier than the 5.7-liter car if you go by the official figures. In reality, it's a whole lot thirstier because you don't buy a vehicle like this to trickle around in D. You want to feel all that power, and that sends gas consumption into the low teens.

Power is pegged at 420 hp at 6200 rpm and torque is an equally impressive 425 lb-ft at 4800 rpm, though you don't need much more than tickover in any gear to turn the approaching horizon into a streaky blur. Behold the 0-60 mph time of less than five seconds, the 0-100-0 time of less that 19 seconds, and a top speed around 155 mph. The Grand Cherokee SRT8 is fast, people; faster than the Cayenne Turbo and X5 4.0iS that used to look down their premium noses at the Jeep. In fact, it's almost as quick to 60 mph as a Porsche 911. You may gasp when ready.

The only transmission available is a five-speed Autostick unit that is reasonably responsive when left to its own devices but considerably more entertaining when used as a manual. The shifts are quicker than you usually find in the Grand Cherokee but the odd left-right motion of the gearlever's manual shifts is (as it is in all Chrysler products) very counterintuitive and the display telling you which gear you're in is no bigger than the odometer digits, so it's about as useful as a second set of earlobes. The addition of steering wheel-mounted paddles and a bigger gear display would take a lot of the guesswork out of using the transmission but even if you do happen to miss a down-change as you enter a corner, it's never really a disaster. The Grand Cherokee's got enough grunt and grip to force its way through any corner unless you're really, really spanking on and the road does something very, very unexpected.

Yes, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is 4WD but it's the first ever Jeep to boast permanent all-wheel drive and we're only sorry Jeep never developed such a system before. Though it ambles along in RWD mode most of the time, the electronically controlled, clutch-pack center differential can channel all the torque to the front or rear as is needed, making the Grand Cherokee SRT8 extraordinarily forgiving when you throw it around. The suspension is full revised with new Bilstein dampers, thicker sway bars, and firmer springs and bushings, while the four-piston Brembo calipers fitted to each corner each clamp hard on 14-inch front and 13.8-inch rear rotors to haul it all down from big speeds. It'll grind to a halt from 60 mph in just 125 feet, in fact, which is amazing from something this big. To complete the dynamic package, the SRT8 rides about an inch lower than a regular Grand Cherokee HEMI, the ESP has been recalibrated to allow the SRT8 to slither around a little more, and 20-inch SRT wheels with Z-rated, Goodyear run-flat tires are also fitted.

On the track, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is hopeless, really, because the ESP (which can't be turned off) is too intrusive and the sluggishness of the transmission combined with the sheer size and 4788-lb heft of the thing makes it very difficult to enjoy in such an extreme environment. On the mountain roads that brought us to the track, however, the SRT8 was a riot! You just don't expect a big SUV to go and stop with this kind of ferocity, and with abundant grip from those enormous 255/45ZR-20 front and ten-inch-wide, 285/40ZR-20 rear tires you can really whip it into corners without fear of coming unstuck.

The work that Jeep has done on the suspension is just remarkable because it combines the sporty firmness you need to feed the SRT8 through corners with a reasonably compliant ride that is more than acceptable for daily commutes and family use. (Honestly, darling!) Indeed, thanks to its steadfast refusal to lean over, pitch, or dive, I would argue that the upscale leather and fake-suede interior stands a better chance of NOT having to endure the contents of little stomachs than a regular Grand Cherokee. (Really, honey!)

But what really sets the SRT8 apart is its steering, which is not only sharp and direct (even by big-car standards) but also full of feel. When you push close to the limits of grip it starts to jump around in your hands quite significantly, relating the behavior of the front tires directly to your hands and letting you know it's time you backed off, buddy. It could almost be described as kickback, but because it only happens at the absolute limit and is caused by the movement of the tires over bumps in the road rather than any slop in the steering mechanism, I'm more inclined to call it "extreme feedback" than "kickback." It's good that it's there - too often such intimate road feel is engineered out in the name of refinement.

Lest anyone be in doubt as to the potential of your Grand Cherokee, Jeep has toughened up the exterior in a simple but meaningful way. There's a new front fascia, new rocker panels, a new rear bumper, dual, centrally mounted two-inch tail pipes, as well as the aforementioned 20-inch wheels and lowered ride height. Inside, there are front bucket seats, aluminum and carbon-fiber effect trim (here comes little Johnny's lunch again), sports dials, and some SRT8 monikers splashed about here and there. The overall effect isn't very subtle, perhaps, but I, for one, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's muscular aggression.

Were the vehicle itself not so impressive I might be less enamored with the brash styling enhancements, but because it goes so fast, corners so well, and is so much fun to drive, I think it has earned the right to brag a little bit. Factor in a ridiculously low $39,995 price tag, folks, and you have yourself the best performance SUV around.

Lightheadedness and shallow breathing is normal at this point, by the way. It's been a big shock to us all.

mbeach
01/29/2006, 11:28 AM
Funny writeup, and at least he's acknowledging the SRT8's place on the road.
My favorite quote, "...it's about as useful as a second set of earlobes..." taken out of context, could just about sum this thing up.