PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicross owner w/ quick TOD question

Boogieman
01/17/2006, 06:06 PM
Bought my '01 couple weeks ago, though sadly it came without an owner's manual, and I have a pressing question. My TOD display in the dash: I'm assuming the green lights are the amount of power (or torque) delivered to the wheels- as you accelerate, more is sent to the front, etc. Mine also reads "auto" in the display, and I just want to make sure all is set where it needs to be. My last 4x4 was shift on the fly, so I could easily tell if I was in 2-wheel or 4-wheel. So, I've got the 4-wheel shifter in the middle- doesn't seem to be engaged to anything, high or low, and my TOD display reads "auto".
Again, just want to make sure this is where it should be for normal everyday driving. We've not had much snow here in Chicago since I bought it, so it's been cruising like it's summer so far.
Thanks for the help-
Keith

SilverBullet75
01/17/2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,
The lights will stay full rear and 1/3 front for most "normal" driving. As the rear approaches slipping, or the TOD senses heavier torque, the lights will go to front 2/3 and full.
If your selector is in "Low", you will have left the "auto" mode and engaged full 4WD Lo.

Hope this helps!
Welcome to the family!
---JIM---

AlaskaVX
01/18/2006, 01:38 AM
The middle of the 4x4 shifter is neutral for the transfer case... there is only HIGH and 4LOW. It is not "shift on the fly" it automatically does that for you in HIGH (or auto) the dash should say auto while in HIGH. I suppose it might still display that when in neutral??????.

There is no 2WD only. 4LOW is for speeds not to exceed (40 mph?) meant for crawling over stuff, beach cruisin, etc. HIGH is for everyday driving.