PDA

View Full Version : Full Tank Gas Smell

Joe_Black
04/09/2003, 06:01 PM
Okay, this has gone on since I got my VX new. Everytime I fill the gas tank to full, it reeks of gasoline in and around the truck until about 3/4 tank. I always tighten the cap at least three clicks after reading the last thread about this, and haven't found any obvious obstructions in any visible vent holes or the cap. Currently I park outside but will have a garage soon and can only imagine it spontaneously combusting from fumes. Not that I'd park it inside like this, but you get the picture. Any suggestions on stuff to check or should I just make the beleagured journey toi the dealer?

Tone
04/09/2003, 06:09 PM
Sounds like the tank is being overfilled - what happens if you stop filling the first time the handle clicks off? Could also be the evap tank is defective.

Joe_Black
04/09/2003, 07:30 PM
I pretty much round the money to the next zero after the click rather than overflow. I'll check the evap as I've seen that on another vehicle before. Thanks for a little direction!

Hotsauce
04/10/2003, 03:20 AM
BTDT. Check the fuel snap fittings on the return line. I had one loose. Give them all a tug. Make sure they are snapped in tight,I had one just pushed in, not snapped.

John C.

andy454
04/10/2003, 07:26 AM
Could even be the tank has a small leak at that level. I would install a fuel pressure gauge and see how long it holds pressure after the engine is turned off. If it drops off quickly there could be a leak in one of the lines. As far as a leak in the evap I would think it would set a code. It is set up to find a .020 leak. Also check for fuel in the evap canister. May be sucking in fuel when you are full.

moon buggy
07/24/2005, 10:12 PM
I just filled her up, 2nd tank since owning her ..went to 2nd click on the fill up [~18.5mpg] ..and when i got home car is parked on an angle [bum up in the air],,..temps today were around 23C, car was left in the sun..came out 20 mins later to smell fuel and looked below fuel door to the ground to see fuel dropping to the ground from high up inside the cladding, looking up on the inside of the cladding to the fuel flap the fuel line is surrounded by a black corrugated plastic ? and the fuel appeared to be running/seeping down there....I could also hear a hissing sound...from this area ...I've never had this on any car before...so IS the rule here is NOT to overfill the tank..or is there a problem further than this..I did search and saw the reference to the fuel lines under the truck..but this didn't apply here..

...I took her for a run for about 25kms to run the level down a bit, when i stoppped there was still a fuel smell around the filler door but no obvious signs of further drips..I released the cap at this point as well and got a nice pressure release sound

..so is the trick to not overfill..is this common to the VX, but why would the fuel actually leak out, ...a cig butt tossed could create a nasty surprise..