PDA

View Full Version : Lifting help/Advice

SRCHN
01/11/2006, 12:41 PM
Lifting help/Advice

Hey guys,

Ok, the more and more I see pics of these lifted VX's, the more I like them. I'm seriously considering performing this modification but I'm clueless as to where to even get started. What all am I going to need, what lift kit/parts are necessary, and how much do parts and installation cost (rough estimate). I would even pay someone on here if they were willing to do it. Thanks for everything..please HELP!!

SRCHN! :confused:

mbeach
01/11/2006, 12:50 PM
Do a search for "OME 912" springs.

That's where most of us begin the lifting process.

Triathlete
01/11/2006, 12:51 PM
HERE YA GO! (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1816) :_beer:

SRCHN
01/11/2006, 01:19 PM
Ok...apparently Tri, your advice is excellent...but I have a few problems, number one, I dont have a single tool...lost our house in Hurricane Ivan and everything along with it. Number two, I am probably the most mechanically disinclined person on this board. I changed my headlight bulbs and put in a K and N drop-in filter and had a drink to celebrate. Lol. How much do the springs run and where can I get them? Finally any idea how much the mod would cost me to have done? Any takers want to help me out? :)

SRCHN

AlaskaVX
01/12/2006, 09:49 AM
The 912 spring lift is very simple and any offroad shop would be able to do it. All they are doing is installing larger springs and shocks in the rear and then most of their time will be spent cranking on the torsion bar. Should take a shop less than 4 hours to do. figure $140 for springs, $xx for rear shocks depending what kind you get (around $160), and 4 hours shop time @ $70/hour = a $600 lift

And if you are planning on running large tires rear bumpstop extensions will be needed, the offroad shop may be able to fab them up or you can buy everything at darlington_offroad.com or independent4x.com They also have kits with more stuff in them but this is all that is necessary.

Triathlete
01/12/2006, 10:05 AM
It only took me 4 hours at home! A shop should be able to do it in way under that. But I say skip the shop and do it yourself. I am by no means a super mechanic...I change my oil and can do the basics and thats about it. On the scale of 1-10 on the difficulty scale, I'd say this is a 3-4 at the most. As for the tools needed they are going to be way cheaper to buy than what the shop will charge for the install. I bought my springs at Rocky Road Off Road (http://www.rocky-road.com/index2.html) for about $125. Nothing else is needed. If you stick with 31 inch tires you do need bump stop extensions. If you go bigger you will need to do a few other mods...major fender trimming and some metal rearanging in the fender wells. The stock shocks will work just fine...mine still do. After doing the project you can have another drink and give yourself a big pat on the back to go with it! :_beer: :D :_drool:
Just print up my how-to and follow the instructions, its all pretty well laid out. It is not difficult at all then you'll be a proud owner of a whole new VX! Once you get back on your feet from the hurricane loss hopefully you'll be able to join us in Moab to test out that lift!

AlaskaVX
01/12/2006, 12:27 PM
Yah I was going high to make sure he had enough before he went and did it. Didn't want to low ball it and have him take it to the shop and get a bigger bill. :goof:

SRCHN
01/12/2006, 02:25 PM
Tri and Alaska,

You two have been a huge help! Thanks so much for all the input! I'm gonna go check out the sites you both referred me to, and see if I can get everything ordered. I basically see that all I'm really going to need are the 912 springs and a set of new rear shocks...right? Whats all the stuff I saw about some calmini (or however you spell it) lift kit? Am I going to need to get that as well, or is that totally different? Thanks again for everything guys! I'll take some before and after pics once this thing gets started and hopefully it will all work out! I owe you guys big time!

SRCHN

mbeach
01/12/2006, 02:39 PM
Triathelete's guide is really excellent.
This is totally a DIY job, and you can't put a price on getting to know your truck's suspension first hand.

I'd recommend some extended brake lines as well as the springs. It's only a lift of 2" or so, but the extended lines will give you a little more room to play.
Unless you have experience bleeding ABS brake systems, you might want to hand the brake lines over to a shop (should you decide to do the lift yourself).

Triathlete
01/12/2006, 09:40 PM
If your factory shocks are in good shape they will do the job...no need to repale them. Only need to invest in the springs. Good luck.

Francesco Rizzo
01/13/2006, 04:21 AM
sorry to jack this thread, but since you got into stock shocks, was thinking about doing the same but I have the rancho rs9000x shocks installed... I don't see why they wouldn't work but any suggestions, opinions?

SRCHN
01/13/2006, 11:03 AM
Hey Tri,

I just finished printing up the instructions on your lift advice. Got a quick quesiton...(and thanks for the tip on the shocks by the way). You wouldnt happen to still have the pics of each step of the lifting process would ya? I clicked on the link and I saw that thread was kinda old and the pictures no longer appear to be there. If you still had them by chance I would really appreciate it. Thanks again guys for everything!

If you guys are ever down in the FL panhandle, ya gotta place to stay!

SRCHN

SRCHN
01/13/2006, 11:43 AM
Ok,

Went to that Rocky Road site and I'm having a little trouble finding the parts that I'm going to need...

Don't really see a OME 912 Spring listed (exactly). Could you possbily point me in the right direction...? HELP!

SRCHN :confused:

Triathlete
01/13/2006, 01:09 PM
912 is the part #. When I ordered mine he didn't keep them in stock but a call to them and he ordered them up and had them to me in a few weeks. I think if you go down a little further in the thread kpaske re-hosted the whole thing with functioning photos. Here it is (http://kpaske.shacknet.nu/public/vxlift.htm) Just checked it though and it doesn't seem to be working. I'll try to email you the pics if I still have them on my 'puter.
Rizzo, I think there will be no problems if you keep your ranchos. Others are using them.

VR4-Quest
01/25/2006, 11:41 AM
Is it me, or what, but how does jacking up the rear after disconnecting the lower shocks allow the springs to become unseated? You would have to lower the rear axle for the shocks to become unseated, right?

Triathlete
01/25/2006, 11:59 AM
Um, as you lift the back end the axle is lowered as it stays in place.

VR4-Quest
01/26/2006, 07:28 AM
OK, I wasnt looking at it that way. I put jack stands under the frame, and lowered the rear axle with a jack!