PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Thoughts

geshaw30
04/09/2003, 02:36 PM
I took my ride in for it's last warranty work where McKinzy Bond Isuzu agreed to replace both headlights. The rubber stripping had come away from one, and couldn't stay glued down, so they replaced both free of charge.
In the process, despite my advance warnings, they broke one of my plasma xenon bulbs. They installed factory bulbs and I had forgotten just how much of a difference my xenons' made. They agreed to pay for the replacement lights but it's gonna take a week or so for them to arrive (EBay). It was hard to get angry as they didn't have to make the warranty repairs because my factory coverage had expired some time ago. They agreed to pay for the new bulbs although it's a minor ($20) issue. I told them I'd exchange it for an oil change.
The purpose of all this is as a reminder to anybody who wants to substantially increase the headlight power- consider dumping the factory bulbs for the plasma lights.
________
Vapir oxygen (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

Simon Templar
04/09/2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by geshaw30
I told them I'd exchange it for an oil change.......

Hmmm......take it out at the parts counter, instead.

You let them do an oil change and they'll probably use the cheapest fossil fluids they can get their hands on.

Not a problem unless you, like me, switched over to synthetics the moment you brought your VX home.

Just a thought....

....sT

Joe_Black
04/09/2003, 05:56 PM
This wanders about the topic a bit, but has anyone looked into importing the JDM headlights? I'm not 100% certain, but believe they're HID. I've been eyeing the HID conversion kits but have been pretty convinced they won't work well due to the reflector design of our US spec housings. If we could 1) find a source for the JDM housings and 2) organize a group buy that would be awesome. I think Albert is still on the mend, so if anyone thinks this is a good idea maybe we can find someone in the know.

WyrreJ
04/09/2003, 06:40 PM
Other cars that I have some experience with (NSX) can't import the japanese HID systems because they are angled for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Joe_Black
04/09/2003, 07:32 PM
It's not really that noticeable. I run English housings on my Merkur, although I could spring for the German lenses which are left-hand.

WyrreJ
04/10/2003, 12:44 AM
Are those HIDs on your merkur? Bad aiming is doubly worse for oncoming traffic with a HID system. I can see a definite dip in the left side of the factory beam pattern with my VX.