PDA

View Full Version : Hood Insert

frog11
01/09/2006, 06:45 PM
For those of you who have replaced your hood insert, what color is a new factory replacement? My hood insert has been holding up well but it has faded to a pasty gray color (was pretty much that way when I bought the VX about a year ago) and I'd like to get it back to a satin/flat black. I've seen the cracking complaints on here but luckily haven't experienced that yet. If the factory replacement is a nice flat black I'm thinking it would be worth purchasing one. Thanks for the info.

Ldub
01/10/2006, 04:09 AM
Another option would be to have it painted at a shop that does paint/ bodywork. Probably a LOT cheaper, especially if you remove it yourself & take it in.

Or...remove it yourself & call "Captain Krylon" to the rescue.

Ldub

maxw
01/10/2006, 01:52 PM
Frog,
I have used "American Shine" products on it and it still looks like new, with a very rich appearance. No fading at all.
Max.

wekilled
01/10/2006, 10:43 PM
I had the same problem, and to compound it the previous owner had added an Ironman hood insert, so I peeled off the Ironman logo and used some rubbing compound to remove the reside and get rid of the oxidation. It looks great now.

Raque Thomas
01/11/2006, 05:11 AM
Frog11 - the factory color is a pasty grey - not flat black. I've tried a number of products on mine, but have not been totally happy with any of them. It is nearly impossible (at least in my experience) to get an even appearance. My last attempt was to use rubbing compound and wax. Better, but still uneven. Maybe someone here will chime in with a product that has worked for them.

If you don't like the color, the best thing would be to paint it or have it painted. As I recall, they are very expensive from Isuzu, and you'll end up with the same thing.

Navigator
01/11/2006, 05:23 AM
The issue is oxidation, and a product called Mothers "BACK TO BLACK" is the solution. All the exterior surfaces oxidize over time and require constant maintenance. Wax is for glossy painted surfaces only. Mothers "BACK TO BLACK" restores the non glossy surfaces to like new. Remember noting is permanent, to keep your ride looking like new takes a lot of work and the right products. Mothers "BACK TO BLACK" is the right product to keep your insert, cladding, and other exterior surfaces looking like new. Cost's about $7 @ AutoZone, lasts about 3 to 4 car washes or rain storms between applications. Requires elbow grease :yes:

frog11
01/11/2006, 08:15 PM
My wife's car was being repaired at a local body shop last week so when I was dropping her off I asked them about painting the insert with a non-gloss black paint. According to their "paint guy" he could do it but he wasn't too excited about trying to remove the insert and said that he could mask off the hood and paint it. He also said that he thought there would be a good chance it would be prone to flaking after time. The quoted price was pretty good but I wasn't feeling too confident by his comments so said I would think about it.

Thanks for the color info on the replacement insert. I use Back To Black on the cladding regularly and am very happy with it. The one time I tried using it on the insert though it streaked pretty badly and I haven't tried again.

Maybe I will try another body shop. If anyone knows of a knowledgeable place in the northern VA/WDC area, please let me know.