PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting entire VX

Elric
01/09/2006, 04:42 PM
Hi all!

Purely hypothetical question...just out of curiosity...how much would it be to paint VX into a different colour? Paint both the vehicle and plastic moldings to have a uni-colour. I saw some awesome pearl-blueish paint on a VX in Las Vegas but that's more of an exception. We presume it will be high quality job. Does title have to be changed as well? Finally, how much time would it take? Would be interesting to hear your opinion...

Thanks!

mbeach
01/09/2006, 05:49 PM
First off, don't you DARE paint that Kaiser!

There are a few members who have painted their cars, and a few more who have painted their cladding only.
I'd say figure on $3-4k for a good job. I'd think that it would be less, simply because the VX's trim is fairly easy to remove, but what do I know.

Ruflyf
01/09/2006, 06:22 PM
I would truely be saddened if you painted that vx. Not o mention I think you would destroy the value of that particular vx.

just my 2cents

bobmumgaard
01/10/2006, 05:57 AM
http://www.xanderstudios.com/Arellia/gallery/BlueVX.jpg

The blueish VX you saw didn't happen to be this one did it?

WormGod
01/10/2006, 07:15 AM
Good job and Great job differ greatly. Good job, you are looking at up to $5k. Great job, you are more in the ballpark of about $12k. Too many things involved to list, just remember, any monkey can spray a car with foodcoloring. You want better than a monkey and foodcoloring, it will cost you.

And there is no Base Price for these things. EVERY shop in the world will price you differently. "All-overs" are not very popular in regular paint shops, so you will want to find a private painter or a specialty shop, like a customization place. I worked for one many years ago as a painter and I will tell ya, the most expensive job I ever did was a pearl black cherry on a Viper. It cost that guy almost $20k for the complete paint job. I earned every penny and he got an incredible looking, long lasting job.

You spend $2k on a paint job, you are just saving money so that you can spend another $2k every year going back to get peeling, flaking, crowsfeet, fading, fisheyes, and overspray fixed.

transio
01/10/2006, 08:08 AM
The blueish VX you saw didn't happen to be this one did it?
VERY important.... that VX was stolen.

Cyrk
01/10/2006, 08:17 AM
I am betting the VX you saw in Vegas was Ricksters...??
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/20mvc-567s.jpg

Elric
01/10/2006, 10:28 AM
yep...that's the one...with a very interesting colour combination and, no, I will never re-paint Kaiser :) I was merely wondering if 2-door makes any $$$ difference versus 4-door...I guess not, it's equally expensive.

Chopper
01/10/2006, 05:21 PM
Like the man said, there is a huge spread on prices when it comes to paint. be largly disassembled. ie. glass out, all rubber moldings,door handles, trim moldings marker lights head lights wheel well liners tail lights badges wings bumpers etc. etc. if it's a truck, the bed comes off and apart. fenders and doors off. There is more but you get the idea that these things are not happening cheaply, and we've yet to sand, prep, or paint a single thing. After painting the paint is wet sanded, cut, then buffed to Maser perfection. This is a good reshoot in a nutshell.Expect to be handed a bill for around 4 large (if we used PPG or Sherwin Williams) Different paints can multiply that 4000 dollar figure several times over. A bare metal respray is more. Anyone starts taping anything off on your vehicle (like the Maco ad) take your car and run! Save the scratch an' squirt for the Cutlass Ciera. I do this every day all day... any paint questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Wayne-Flagler Collision

transio
01/10/2006, 05:25 PM
Chopper, where is your shop located? You sound like a good guy to know if I ever need bodywork! :D

Chopper
01/10/2006, 05:30 PM
Just a bit north of you. Off route 1 in Palm Coast, Flagler county. Bout 30 miles north of Daytona Beach.

transio
01/10/2006, 05:51 PM
Ooh. What's your phone number and address?

Chopper
01/10/2006, 06:10 PM
3 Marketplace Ct. Palm Coast Fl. 386-446-0224 Zip-32137

transio
01/10/2006, 08:06 PM
Oh damn, Daytona Beach! For some reason, I read Deerfield Beach LOL.

WormGod
01/11/2006, 07:29 AM
Chopper, whats the "industry shop standard" brand now? When I was painting years back, Glasurit was the way to go. Easy to work/mix with and just laid down very beautifully. Our shop also dealt quite a bit with House of Kolor, but that was only ever by customer request (overrated in my opinion).

Just curious cause when I had the front end fixed on my VX a couple years ago, the finish was excellent. Thought the guys did a great job. Didnt bother to ask what they use though. However, it has only been a couple of years and already its fading back and chipping VERY easily. Gonna have to get it redone. Makes me wish I had a downdraft in my home garage. ;)

Chopper
01/18/2006, 04:13 PM
Sorry that took so long- Just enjoyed a long weekend with my son. We use Sherwin Williams (40% of domestic products are factory S&W) It is purely a numbers deal with us. Trying for good matches, with the least hassle, for the most vehicles, for the best price and longevity(we guarantee all work for the life of the vehicle so it's gotta last). PPG is the easiest system,for me, but a bit pricey(and their clear stinks (IMO)) Dupont is ok- real nice Tri-Stage stuff clear is good (I got a 12 gal. case of ol' 9600 clear stashed for when I do my own stuff, you shooters know what that is) but is a bit expensive, fragile,and their product support sucks-we threw them out---- These choices constitute probably 75 or 80% of the professional shops out there. You will have to make the guess.

Chopper
01/18/2006, 04:28 PM
I wasn't trying to be cryptic or anything. 9600 is the clearest, toughest, glossiest, slickest (pure whale poo) bestest clear ever created. A series of products really. Also,sadly, one of the deadliest,most dangerous products a painter could work with. The VOC crap is off the chart so i'm sure mishandling is just spiffy for frogs and stuff too. It's been E.P.A. banned for a while now. It can be done safely, just gotta make EVERYTHING friggin' moron proof in this world. So now it's gone.

WormGod
01/19/2006, 07:09 AM
I hear ya. I recall OSHA getting heavier and heavier with their bullying and shop prying just before I exited the industry, but it was also about time that they did their job. I worked in to many shops where it was like pulling teeth trying to get new booth filters or charcoal replacements for masks. If it means making more paint products fool-proof to keep shops safer and healthier, I am all for it. Cause God knows, I have worked at some places with painters who are absolutely oblivious and careless with the work they are doing.

I kept about 80% of my painting gear when I "retired". Did a lot of paint work on the side for a few more years. ALL for hobby and fun. Did most of my best work on my own time. Sadly, I havent touched it in a while and my buddy who lived around the corner from me moved away, who had a damned downdraft system in his (get this....) backyard garage. When he moved, he had it dismantled and took it with him, heh. Sure wish I could afford the luxury to continue my past hobbies.

My VX will be Chevy Orange one day. I dont know why.... it just will.

Chopper
01/22/2006, 05:13 PM
I've had a notion for a while now, to do a real deep, pearly, "Black Magick" type on 0177. The glass dude won't guarantee my glass, and I'd have to be pretty sure of myself to pull the Back and two sidelights. Black Magick is a VW color on the last run of the R32 last year. ANY ideas about the replacement cost on that lovely backlight or the two side windows? Pricey I'd guess.

mbeach
01/22/2006, 06:23 PM
IF you bust one, you could always replace it with a CF panel -it's not like they really provide any visibility.

Chopper
01/29/2006, 05:40 PM
True enough. I tinted the two side windows(on either side) Black. Useless anyway.