PDA

View Full Version : Vx-4?

mbeach
01/06/2006, 05:32 PM
Alright, I may be losing my mind -please let's not comment on it here.

The wife refuses to part with the Dragon as the time for a little Beach (son-of-a-Beach?) approaches. She wants a 4-door VehiCROSS.

I (we) know that one of these existed -the VX-4. From the looks of the interior, it was a non-running prototype. However, if a VW Bug can be stretched into a limo, a VX can be stretched into a Trooper-length 4 door.

Who built to prototype for the VX-4? I want the back doors.

AlaskaVX
01/06/2006, 05:52 PM
LOL And I thought the LS-1 Vehicross was going to be a project, GOOD LUCK with this one!!!! :smack: You can dooooooo eeeeiiit!!!!!!!

"son of a beach".... LMAO :laugho:

Joe_Black
01/06/2006, 06:02 PM
Next best thing: 2004 Isuzu Axiom 3.5DI. They're blowing the last ones out the door just like they did with the last VX's.

VX_PA
01/06/2006, 06:37 PM
This would be an aggressive project. The best way I can think of to get rear doors would be to find some junked front doors and then modify them to become rear doors. What might help would be to find some rear doors that could work and use the VX door skin with modification to fit the look of the VX. That way you'd already have the window and latch part worked out. Also try to find a pillar that would work between the doors so you don't have to custom make them.

This is a project that can be accomplished but it will take some advance fabrication and welding skills. Good luck if you take this on. That would be really cool to see.

mbeach
01/06/2006, 08:40 PM
This would be an aggressive project.
To say the least :laughg:

The best way I can think of to get rear doors would be to find some junked front doors and then modify them to become rear doors. What might help would be to find some rear doors that could work and use the VX door skin with modification to fit the look of the VX. That way you'd already have the window and latch part worked out.
This is good thinking. I really need another VX shell to pull this off.

Our doors could easily be halved, glass gut, window channel modified, to do some back doors. The roof and floor pan is a no-brainer. The mechanicals just require some part-stretching ;) .
I have fairly decent welding/machining and fabrication skills -but this is WAY beyond my abilities. I'll likely farm this out to a pro.

I figure that even if I spend $12k on the modification (paying to have it done), I'll still be better off than selling a VX, eating the depreciation, and buying a new vehicle (it's going to be a V70 or an XC70 if it's going to be anything).
Plus, the wife will have the coolest soccer-mom vehicle going.

I'm in no way saying that this is GOING to happen -I'm just throwing out thoughts and hoping some good ideas bounce back.

Joe_Black
01/06/2006, 09:23 PM
I really need another VX shell to pull this off.
Actually, what you want is an Axiom. Why? Because you'll need the chassis for the longer wheelbase, since I'm pretty sure you don't want to build another chassis. Plus the Axiom already has the correct powertrain. And the VX-4 and Axiom have basically the same interior, so all you really need to do is get some VX sheet metal onto a de-skinned Axiom and re-engineer the rear door. That's a bunch simpler, 'cause that's almost the reverse of how Isuzu got to the Axiom from the VX-4. ;)

mbeach
01/06/2006, 10:05 PM
I was thinking that a Trooper would make the swap.

I'm looking for an Axiom?

Joe_Black
01/07/2006, 07:11 AM
The Trooper was discontinued before the 3.5DI came out, and if you're going to make a VX-4 you might as well get the cool engine. I think there's a lot more commonality between the Axiom than the Trooper as far as the body goes. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the Axiom suspension geometry is closer to the VX than the Trooper.

As an aside: How many families have VX's and no issues with kids? My wife drives the IronMan and our daughter hasn't ever been a issue as far as the truck goes. The real trick with a child seat is accessing it from the rear rather than wrestling from the front. Just fold down (or back) the unused half of the seat to get to the little one. Once they're older they scamper in-n-out like crazy and operate the passenger seat with ease. Of course, having a little bit more separation between 2 or 3 giggling little girls might not be a bad things... :p

kpaske
01/07/2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I've thought about selling my VX for a more family-friendly 4 door vehicle, but there are quite a few work arounds. Like Joe said, loading from the rear door works well for the first little one. For the second, seat extenders for the passenger side should help - I'm going to be needing to purchase a set here real soon as my next one is due in June. Anything beyond two and your asking for trouble, in more ways that one! ;Db;

I saw one of those stretch-bug limos on the highway last night... Cooool! If you can pull it off, that would be awesome. But that is definitely a job *I* would leave to the professionals.

MrCrowley
01/07/2006, 10:39 AM
I think the Trooper mod would be the way to go. I love the Axiom but- unibody. The VX is actually built on a '97 Trooper design. You can put the vx suspension (shocks, springs, sway bars-the only difference between the two besides gears) on the trooper frame, cut body, insert a piece cut from the middle of a scrap VX body and voila- instant 4 door. The best approach would be to stretch the frame and use 4 FULL VEHICROSS DOORS on it. The backs would only need modified window rail around top, and glass, and sheet metal work. The next hardest part would be to "strech" the wiring to the rear of the truck. Not too hard, but time consuming. Longer Driveshat and brake piping. Better still- go out and buy a 2002 Trooper limited for about 12-15k and have both like me. Except a little newer trooper like I hope to do soon. Subaru STI must come first, though! I own a 99 VX and a 98 Trooper now. You will learn to love the Trooper just as much as the VX except a little differently. Same capability-more family friendly and a great traveling companion. Good luck whatever route you go.

Joe Izusu
01/07/2006, 12:14 PM
Well I thought I would post my thoughts, I own a Vehicross and my wife hates it, I have too boys who and my first born is 2 and he loves it, although its tough getting in and out, But my wife loves her Axiom and I love it to. She wanted CRV and I was not going for that, But once I got her looking at the Axiom it was all over but the buying. Go for it.

mbeach
01/07/2006, 12:28 PM
The real trick with a child seat is accessing it from the rear rather than wrestling from the front. Just fold down (or back) the unused half of the seat to get to the little one.

My wife has just proclaimed Joe to be the smartest man alive.

That really is a great idea -maybe I'll do the door popper thing after all.

Here's what I was thinking on the stretch -it will be a stretch if it's anything at all. I don't need/want a whole new vehicle (engine, drivetrain, etc.). I want to keep the same VIN, etc.
A Trooper has a wheelbase approximately 15" longer than a VX. What about a Trooper frame (and rear driveshaft) being the basis for the swap? I need more than 15" though.

I really need another VX. The frame will need to be lengthened anyways.

There was a company in Florida that used to stretch Jeep TJs. They had an excellent writeup on their website about their work. That's where I got my inspiration.

For those who have never seen the VX-4, here's a hotlink:
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/isuzu/isuzu_vx42.jpg
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/isuzu/isuzu_vx41.jpg

TEN36VX
01/07/2006, 04:33 PM
How about this idea... What if you stretched it only about 4-6 inches and then fab'ed a reverse opening door (similar to the Saturns 3rd door or all of the new style crew cab pickups)? It might even be possible without a stretch, though difficult, in which case you wouldn't need a donor. Just a mod I was thinking of trying.

The VX already has a spacious back seat so you could move it forward (with the stretch) and leave the extra room in the back.

Numba1goalie
01/07/2006, 06:25 PM
Why dont you go find someone who professionally lengthens town cars and such into limos and get an estimate? then raise the funds and get r' done.

mbeach
01/07/2006, 06:32 PM
Why dont you go find someone who professionally lengthens town cars and such into limos and get an estimate? then raise the funds and get r' done.

That's what I'm doing. I'm not tackling this on my own.

Maybe by the guys that do these:
http://www.backcountryjournal.com/Plateauyo504.jpg

Joe_Black
01/07/2006, 07:31 PM
A Trooper has a wheelbase approximately 15" longer than a VX. What about a Trooper frame (and rear driveshaft) being the basis for the swap? I need more than 15" though.
I think you'll find that the VX-4 and Trooper/Axiom share the same wheelbase. There's a VX-4 spec sheet that should confirm this. So if you get an '01 Trooper with TOD you already have exactly what you need. Then it's just stretching a VX body.

Thanks for the compliment from the wife! ;) Just being observant.

WormGod
01/10/2006, 07:04 AM
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/isuzu/isuzu_vx42.jpg
http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/isuzu/isuzu_vx41.jpg

And in my opinion, THANK GOD it was scrapped. I think the realisation kicked in that the VX was not visually intended to be a 4door and they stuck with a sport 2door only.

If I had to get a 4door vehicle right now, I would probably just look at the Axiom.... or a *cough*STi*Cough*. ;)

MrCrowley
01/10/2006, 08:29 AM
Well- since I just bought the wife an '06 Legacy 2.5i (so she wont get in trouble), and with so many idiots on the road today I wanted her in a very safe vehicle. I strongly suggest looking at the turbo models of these 5: Of course the STI, LegacyGT, Forester XT, Outback XT, or Baja Turbo. all are wonderfully fun to drive with room in them. The Legacys just received a gold rating (only 2 sedans even got this award 1 is the legacy not sure of the other), Of course the Impreza is annually the safest smaller car. I also enjoy Subaru build quality, AWD, high resale, EASY EASY maintenance, etc. Of course the outback XT is the ultimate sleeper. If you have never driven an Outback- much less a turbo- you should. My neighbor has an '02 LL Bean, and I will put it up against anything for comfort, quietness, driver input, and the H6 motor is the smoothest I have EVER felt. Its the best in inclement weather, and you would be surprised that its clearance is higher than most people think. All the turbos with minor mods they can be 300 hp beasts because they already have essentially STI motors with less boost. If you go this route let me know- Not only was my first car a 1983 Subaru GL wagon 4x4, and my second a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II LS, but I sold the scoobies for a short period between real jobs, and got my legacy at a steal due to being a colleague and former employee here where I live. I dont think I could help you in AK unless you wanted a long road trip! I just wish Isuzu and Subaru would have teamed up more so I could continue to enjoy both. 3 scoobies and 4 zoozoos later, I havent found anything better. Maybe thats why my barn has 6 cars in it! LOL

Let me know if I can help with any technical info or driving impressions of any. Good Luck! :)

mbeach
01/10/2006, 11:28 AM
You do realize that I sold a 362whp WRX to buy my first VehiCROSS don't you?

My WRX was a beast, and I loved it, but it was time to move on to something tougher. I've done the whole NASIOC thing, and frankly, I've outgrown the crowd.
I realize that sounds silly.
When I knew that I was moving back up to Alaska, I decided to drop the 'rex. It would have never passed IM, and it would have been eaten alive by the roads here.

There really aren't many choices for a non-unibody midsize Japanese SUV anymore. Even fewer if you have a picky spouse.
The Volvos are nice and safe, and I've always been a Bimmer guy, so the XC90 or the X5 should be naturals. However, the cost of purhase (and maintenance, as the nearest BMW dealer is 350 miles a way, and there is no Volvo dealer in the state) is prohibitive. I may as well make something unique and proven for less money.

This is just a shot in the dark, and will most likely never happen.

shoota77
01/10/2006, 04:12 PM
Good news if you're looking for Volvo...the dealer is in Anchorage where Pacific Mitsubishi used to be. It's a Mazda/Volvo dealership. I forget the name of the place but I was just in there last week looking for a XC90 for my Mother. Still gonna be 350 miles away from you though... :_steering

mbeach
01/10/2006, 04:52 PM
I thought that place had gone out of business. Hmm...
Maybe a nice XC70 instead of the 90 would be more cost friendly.

Either way, I'm still researching the stretch.

shoota77
01/10/2006, 05:02 PM
They had a number of both the 90s and the 70s. Fully loaded 2.5 90s were around 46...you may want to look at the V8 though, I know my mom wouldn't appreciate it enough. ;)