PDA

View Full Version : Key fob OPTION button?

coachreed
04/09/2003, 03:30 AM
I was thinking this morning, since it was supposed to get down to 26º last night... I need remote start on the VX to get'r warmed up before I go outside. Anyone know if the "option" on the keyfob could be used to trigger a remote start? If not, what is this for? What kind of options is this for from the factory/dealer? Anyway, I hope someone has a bright idea because I think I need something like that. Anywho... I'll TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

hitnrun74
04/09/2003, 04:04 AM
I don't know about remote start with the existing key fob. The range is pretty short, you'd probably have to walk outside to get it to work. A good shop can install remote start for you pretty easily. I think the only problem has been getting an alarm bypass module.

coachreed
04/09/2003, 04:47 AM
I can lock/unlock my VX from my sons bedroom which is right above where I park, so that should be fine. As for range, I wonder if there is a way to extend it a little bit. I know that remote starts have their own antenna... I wonder if its possible to add an antenna to the stock alarm. As for your comment on alarm bypass module, I wonder if there is anything like that in my VX. I noticed an LED mounted in one of the plugs for a button hole on my dash... I wonder if it has had an aftermarket alarm. Hmmm... I wonder.

Anyway... any other input?

Coach... aka Randy!

XCross69
04/09/2003, 04:53 AM
I just went and had a whole new alarm system installed along with the remote start. It has the pager system so if someone or something sets off the alarm my remote starts to vibrate and a car shows up on the little screen with a hammer beat-n it...Its a cool system I however do still have a vacant button on it. I have done checked into either have that set to role the windows up or down or have-n it set to unlock the back door...Would probably get more use out of the back door thing...Nice system by Crimestopper, cost me about $500.00 and will cost around another $200.00 to get the other option installed?? Kinda price-E!!! Remote start is the best thing invented yet!!

Cptnmorgan
04/09/2003, 07:43 AM
The extra button on our remotes is for a garage opener option. The alarm manual I believe has an explanation as to how to program it provided you garage door opener is compatible. SO far no one to my knowledge has been able to use it for anything else. The light on your dash that you speak of is part of the factory alarm system. It does flash when the VX is armed using the factory system.

JAFO
04/09/2003, 05:44 PM
Side track... but opening my back door with the key doesn't set off the alarm. Is this typical? Also if I add a second dome light switched off the rear door will the change in current draw be sufficent trip the alarm?

AlaskaVX
04/09/2003, 05:59 PM
JAFO, the alarm doesn't go off if you open the back door, just the driver and passenger doors.

Tone
04/09/2003, 06:29 PM
Adding a second light is great but the addition of a simple pin switch to the back door turns on the stock overhead light when the door is opened. It also allows the alarm to monitor the rear door with no ill effects. My rear door popper kit contains a pin switch for that very reason and has instructions (on my web page) explaining how to connect it.

WyrreJ
04/09/2003, 06:42 PM
Which is anothe reason to go with an aftermarket alarm + remote start rather than try to modify the current one.

Tone
04/09/2003, 07:22 PM
You still have to add a pin switch to tie the rear door to ANY alarm and it is easy to do. But with an aftermarket alarm, you can open the rear door by remote which is great.

Moncha
04/09/2003, 10:41 PM
To increase the range of the OEM remote, you can take the antenna wire from along the drives door sill and re-route it up the drivers a pillar...

coachreed
04/10/2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Moncha
To increase the range of the OEM remote, you can take the antenna wire from along the drives door sill and re-route it up the drivers a pillar...

Scott-
Thanks for the info. I will be doing this ASAP.

WyrreJ-
My hope to modify the stock alarm to trigger a remote start system will probably be simple in comparison to what the folks I know over on the F-body (Camaro/Firebird) boards do. They bypass their progressive unlock (one push of key fob for drivers door only, second push for all doors) so that their system unlocks ALL doors with one push and the second push does something like roll down windows or turn on the stereo system.

I guess my curiosity comes with the key fob saying "option" as opposed to it saying "garage" or something like that. Anywho... I think I wanna figure this out even though a decent aftermarket alarm will most likely protect my VX better than the stocker.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

AnalogVX
04/10/2003, 06:26 AM

Is that the white wire? I noticed a wire that was lying there under the door sill, not connected to anything with an open end. I thought it was cut somehow.

TimG
04/10/2003, 08:44 AM
For the one other person in the world besides me who had never heard the word fob before. I think 2b is the one that applies.

fob
n.
1. A small pocket at the front waistline of a man's trousers or in the front of a vest, used especially to hold a watch.
a. A short chain or ribbon attached to a pocket watch and worn hanging in front of the vest or waist.
b. An ornament or seal attached to such a chain or ribbon.

Panther_Black_VX
04/10/2003, 09:55 AM

Really?! Cool. I hate the fact that I almost have to stand in front of the car to use the alarm. I want to do this immediately... Wait, everybody duck!!!!!

DUMB QUESTION COMING!!!

What are the "door sills"? Is that the bottom of the driver's side door?

Doh! :homer:

IsuZOOM
04/10/2003, 10:02 AM
I could have sworn I just posted this an hour ago, but I'll post it again.

It seems that there is a potential "hack" of the factory garage door opener device - is it a small box or something that receives the signal from the OPTION press on the key fob? If so, it could be wired to Tone's popper...

coachreed
04/10/2003, 10:14 AM
OK, I guess I can just follow the white wire up to the alarm, right? I just want to investigate what kind of plugs and wires are hangin out there for hacking into. If theres a way, I will find it. I just want to have things integrated as much as possible. I'll check into it this weekend.

THanks!

Coach... aka Randy!

Tone
04/10/2003, 10:52 AM
If you searched the forum, you’ll find a) that the garage door opener option was several hundred dollars b) that the option button/alarm cannnot be programmed to do anything else except duplicate the main button or talk to it.

IsuZOOM
04/10/2003, 12:59 PM
I DID search. It can be found for $81 (http://www.isuzuparts.net/cart/?pn=2-90101-730-0)... that's not quite as much as a good alarm system in my book.

It's a device that receives the signal and activates your garage door opener. I'd bet it could be modified to trigger the hatch popper.

AnalogVX
04/10/2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Panther_Black_VX

DUMB QUESTION COMING!!!

What are the "door sills"? Is that the bottom of the driver's side door?

Doh! :homer:

The only dumb question is one that was not asked.
The door sills are the black pastic trim that run along the bottom of the door opening. They're usually a great place to run wires as well as keep carpet tucked neat.:p

Panther_Black_VX
04/11/2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks AnalogVX and carlymac! I'll try this weekend!

sagwagon
04/11/2003, 06:07 PM
Hey, carlymac; How about posting your how to under the 'How To's' ? Seems like a very useful guide to follow and would be post#1;Db; !

carlymac
04/11/2003, 07:39 PM
I don't know very much about re-routing posts but I did tell moncha to add it to the how-to section. I think I'll swap mod tips for computer lessons at the upcoming Atlanta/Tennessee meet.:D I learning little by little though:rolleyes:

Tone
04/11/2003, 10:14 PM
How about copy and pasting to a NEW post in the correct section - this one started out as a key fob discussion....

It could also be deleted after copying....posters can edit/delete any of their on posts....

Moncha
04/11/2003, 10:31 PM
No need, I just moved it.. how to (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=830)

PaulDPearl
05/11/2006, 09:05 AM
The extra button on our remotes is for a garage opener option. The alarm manual I believe has an explanation as to how to program it provided you garage door opener is compatible.

Does anyone have the instructions? The instructions in my book say "See dealer" and my dealer said "idunno, letmegetback toyah" and of course they just don't know...

I'm sure I just have to hold down the button or something to that nature... anyone know?

VehiGAZ
05/11/2006, 02:32 PM
My understanding is that it does NOT work directly with the garage door opener, but works with a unit that you install in your garage door opener switch circuit in the garage.