PDA

View Full Version : VX won't idel or idles fast?

tooldini
04/08/2003, 06:13 PM
My 99 vx has 33100 miles and a few weeks ago it started idling rough and a low rpm's. I have been really busy and haven't checked anything yet, but it is getting worse.It now idles high rpm's 2K+ at first then after warm it won't idle at all.Sometimes the idle will change up and down rapidly.Any ideas on were I what I should check first? thanks for any help

Jeff

phines
04/08/2003, 06:53 PM
Good question... My 99 VX just hit 85000 miles and has started doing the same thing. When it was idling too high, it would 'reset' itself if i turned the vehicle off and restarted it. Other than that, I'm avoiding the dealership as long as I can... i don't trust them here. :(:mad:
________
Marijuana vaporizers (http://weedvaporizers.org/)

Tone
04/08/2003, 08:37 PM
Sounds like the high pressure switch on the power streering or the intake gaskets have begun leaking. Verify all other electical connections (especially to the MAS) first then unplug the wire that goes to the PS switch to eliminate that as the cause (vmag has a better description of it).

To test for intake leaks, get a can of starter spray and spray around the edges of the intake manifold - if it speeds up, you have a leak and the gasket(s) will need to be replaced - good time to upgrade to a supercharger while you have the intake off!

VehiX
04/08/2003, 08:37 PM
Intake manifold gasket craked / leaking?

phines
04/09/2003, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a good place to start... I'll check those ideas out this weekend. Thanks!
________
Upload sc2 replay (http://screplays.com)

andy454
04/09/2003, 11:31 AM
You can try and check the intake gasket by disconnecting the iac valve on the throttle body and flowing propane around the base of the intake. If you hear the engine gain in rpm then you found the leak. If the leak is internal this won't work. You can also use carb cleaner to spray around the intake, but be very careful if the engine is hot. Could catch fire.

tooldini
04/12/2003, 12:48 PM
thanks guys it appears to be intake gasket.We sprayed starter fluid around the lower gasket and when sprayed in one spot the motor increased speed and made a spark knock noise.Should I assume the gasket is bad?My dad is an ex mechanic and seems to think that is the problem. So I think I am gonna get the gaskets and replace the bad one. Thanks for the help

Jeff