PDA

View Full Version : Vibration when turning

Shortstop
12/21/2005, 11:18 PM
Guys, whenever I start moving with front wheels turned left or right, a short vibration comes from the rear part of the vehicle...It doesn't happen when making turns while in motion, only when accelerating from a complete stop, say at an intersection.

:confused:

From what I read up in the forum, some of you had somewhat a similar problem, but that happenned when the car was moving.

I've been told that it must be an automatic differential lock engaging itself (for no apparent reason though) and that this should not bother me for now, however I feel very uncomfortable with this vibration occuring each time I take off while front wheels are turning.

I got the car checked out but the mechanic told me that there are no visible problems, and that to properly understand what's going on, differential should be removed and inspected. He mentioned that may be a wrong type of lubricant in the axle is the reason for the vibrating sound...could it really be the case?

Please help. :(

Joe_Black
12/21/2005, 11:20 PM
If you're tight turning from a stop it's most like the rear differential, which is very common for short-wheelbase vehicles like the VX and nothing to concern yourself over. My '93 Trooper RS, also SWB, would do the same thing.

Shortstop
12/21/2005, 11:25 PM
Well, I wouldn't be worried but that only started to occur recently. I haven't had this problem earlier regardless of how tight the turn was...And I have to admit that it happens not only in tight turns, but in ANY turns. Is it possible that something else is causing it?

Ldub
12/22/2005, 03:55 AM
Changing the diff. fluid & adding new LSD additive MAY help somewhat...It's easy & inexpensive. Depending on mileage, It probably needs to be done anyway.

Ldub

Shortstop
12/22/2005, 04:12 AM
Ldub, thanks - do you know the type/brand of fluid and additive that should be used?

Well, i have actually checked the type of lube that's in there now. It's Mobil's 75W90, which according to the manufacturer's website, is excellent for LSDs. However, I guess it won't hurt if a proper LS additive is added...the question is what would be the proper additive...?

Joe_Black
12/22/2005, 06:16 AM
Mobil-1 gear oil is a little too slippery for the Isuzu LSD, so be sure to use additive. If you need to locate drain and fill points, check my gallery for photos of the diff.

Ldub
12/22/2005, 02:15 PM
Ldub, thanks - do you know the type/brand of fluid and additive that should be used...the question is what would be the proper additive...?

I use all Amzoil products & have found the LSD additive at my local NAPA, though they did have to order it. Being syn. it should mix w/ mobil 1 products...maybe Joe Black has some input on befouling Mobile 1 products w/ Amzoil product :laughing:
I would imagine most other manufacturers offer LSD additive.

Ldub

Joe_Black
12/22/2005, 04:42 PM
As far as Amsoil vs. Mobil-1 goes, at least they both are true synthetics. My Mobil-1 preference is due to real-world use in everything from aerospace to heavy industrial. Amsoil advertises its use by this racer or that one, but if you go to where the bottom line in industrial, agricultural and other industries is dictated in maintenance dollars then you'll see Mobil-1 in use. Plus it's much more readily available when you need it. ;)

Shortstop
01/18/2006, 02:47 AM
Guys, I finally found an LSD additive. It's K&W 2508, Posi-trac limited slip gear oil. Now I wonder if it's compatible with Mobil 1 for LSD?

thedutchguy
01/18/2006, 10:21 AM
Like the germans say:
Immer gerade aus!

Shortstop
01/20/2006, 03:28 AM
Like the germans say:
Immer gerade aus!

Like the russians say: ну ты сказал!

Shortstop
03/12/2006, 10:54 PM
ok, changed the gear lube (Total) and added an LSD additive. the problem is solved. thanks everybody for your input! ;)

Ldub
03/13/2006, 05:22 AM
ok, changed the gear lube (Total) and added an LSD additive. the problem is solved. thanks everybody for your input! ;)

Good deal !, I always like a happy ending. :)

Ldub