PDA

View Full Version : Well fixed my Window longish

Syntek VX
12/19/2005, 05:06 AM
Man that was fun. I had to use all the fixes I found and some. First I widened the track better but still binding. As a tip be sure to widen it all the way up it's that last top part were it seems to grab the most. Then I bored out the front window connection where the bolt goes in and put a metal shim in to raise the window a little in the front. Again better but not perfect. I finally noticed that if I put the slightest amount of down pressure on the back of the window it would go up and down perfectly. So I played with it a bit to figure out how much weight it would need on the back of the window with a fish scale and went to the hard ware store to find something about the same weight to slap on there. 15 min later I came home with a heavy duty door hinge. I bent it so it would close on the bottom of the window with no gap then used Amazing Goop which you can get from Lowes and yes it glues anything permanently. I let it set and tried it out and now it's perfect. Up and down with no binding at all and the extra weight doesn't make the window go any slower or put to much stress on the motor ( granted it wasn't much weight and it's much less resistance than the window binding. Well, I thought I would share TTYL.

Bulldoggie
12/19/2005, 01:36 PM
The binding that you are describing is the window too far forward and binding in the front track as it comes up in the upper part of the track, that is in the mirror part of the door.( causing the glass to tilt)

Barts fix of tilting the window so the front leading edge is back a little bit should be enough for the small amount you are experiencing.
If you did Barts fix to both window mount holes, you could shift the whole window back evenly.
If someone could make replacement window tabs, that we could reglue to the windows, about 3/16" farther back than the stock location on the glass, it would fix 90% of the window problems noted on this site, with NO other modifications.
People who describe the window wanting to travel outward of the rubber track, need to shim the lift arm to be more under the glass (as I did) to push the window up NOT out.
I hope this simplifies the VX window adjustment problems

biju
12/19/2005, 01:39 PM
Silicone spray lube the track. often. very often...

now, spray some more... :p

-biju.

2K1 1K2
12/19/2005, 08:42 PM
hello, all.

biju, are the tracks you mention the black rubber seals the windows rub against when going up and down and surrounded by when closed?

or are the tracks inside the door (requiring removal of inside shell) ?

sorry if silly question or if shown/answered on another post.

thanks!

-jose

biju
12/20/2005, 07:26 AM
Hey there...

I've widened the tracks (metal tracks that the rubber track sits in) on my Dragon, and found that they still rubbed really hard in the same spot mentioned above.

After reading a few posts/replies on this subject here on the site, I found one (maybe by Moncha?) that said to lube the tracks (rubber tracks, not the internal tracks) with silicone spray - and sure enough, they GLIDE WITH EASE!!

Now I just lube every other detailing... or whenever I get spray happy.

-biju.

2K1 1K2
12/20/2005, 06:09 PM
gracias, for responding and clarification! appreciate it.
i'll have to spray 'em up, as soon as it gets warm around here.

take care!

-jose