PDA

View Full Version : VX prices plummet!

UtahVXer
12/13/2005, 07:12 PM
I know many, like myself, are disappointed that the VX resale values continue to plummet. Although I have no plans of selling, it is still sad to see. I used to think the uniqueness of the vehicle, and the limited supply would cause the prices to eventually plateau. I guess I was just dead wrong. Anyone else have any ideas, comments, on this?

kpaske
12/13/2005, 09:07 PM
A number of members here have expressed the hope or belief that the VX depreciation will eventually level off, if not reverse itself. Though I'm normally quite optimistic, I really don't expect that to happen. I knew going in that any vehicle isn't an investment because very few vehicles, if any, really make money in the long run. Even classic cars that sell for two or three times their original purchase price cost at least that in time and money spent on maintenance and restoration. Lets face it; the VX is a gas guzzling, undersized SUV in a world of overpriced fuel. We should all be proud to own such a unique and cool vehicle, but I wouldn't expect the general population to gain much interest in it any time soon, if ever. Just my two cents. ;Db;

transio
12/13/2005, 10:04 PM
I dunno, I don't think prices have dropped much in the last couple years.

Numba1goalie
12/13/2005, 10:07 PM
Well from the rumors I have heard here about Isuzu "making a comeback in 2006", i am trying to stay optomistic that we will see the demand for these back again.

kpaske
12/14/2005, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure if this is an apples-to-apples comparison, but VW made a comeback a few years ago when they reintroduced the "bug", but I doubt that made the value of the original "bug" go up. Of course, those cars were a dime a dozen, and the VX is a rare vehicle, but i think the fact remains that this will always be a niche market.

Maybe another 20 years from now, a "pristine" VX might sell for some outrageous price to a collector, but I suspect the market or blue book value will continue to fall or at best level off. If the general population hasn't shown an interest or appreciation for the VX up until now, I don't see how anything, even an Isuzu comeback, could change that.

VehiGAZ
12/14/2005, 06:50 AM
I'm with kpaske on this one - no matter how unique the VX is, it's still just a low-gas-mileage older SUV in the eyes of the market, which is a tough sell in this day and age. Yes, an astute collector may look at it and see one of the few concept cars that came to life, but how many of those are there out there? Four?

Car collecting is a lousy "investment" - a classic collectable car sells for 20 times what it cost in 1962 sounds like it would have been a great investment, but the same amount of money dumped into a good mutual fund for that long would probably have appreciated far more when you account for all the maintenance, registration, and restoration costs.

I think the biggest hurdle for the VX is its anonymity - so few people know about it that a strong market will never develop for it. Even people who know cars don't know about the VX. Another example of this happened over the weekend - the guy who tied our x-mas tree to the roof rack was asking about it and was shocked that he didn't know about it. If more people knew about it, more people would want one, driving the value up.

Joe_Black
12/14/2005, 07:18 AM
The VX is pretty much a niche car and will likely never see any serious valuation above normal market prices within the next 20 years. Somewhere down the road it may gain some value, but very unlikely. There are rarer and more unique limited production vehicles out there that only extreme enthusiast have any interest in, and there all dirt cheap. A few examples: Toyota FX16 GTS, Mazda 323 GTX, Isuzu Trooper RS (1st Gen). Those were all "sleepers" and represented significant industry firsts (the Toyota was the first built in the US) or very limited production (1st gen Trooper RS only saw 2500 units) and yet any can be had for a pittance. If you can find one. ;)

Buying a vehicle as an investment is an immediately suspect decision at best. The market is so fickle even for bonafide collector cars that it's truly the capital trade of the extremely wealthy. As a VX owner the true value of the vehicle is what it means to you, as an individual enjoying a truly individual truck.

driver3
12/14/2005, 10:51 AM
Good luck getting mine, I know what it's worth... :p

transio
12/14/2005, 11:07 AM
VX Value Benefits:

Low production numbers - you will rarely see another one on the road
Unique, attractive styling - it really looks like a concept vehicle on the road
Attention-getting appeal - people always look at you and ask about it
Great performance - 'Zu base + TOD = solid on and offroad.
Borderline collectability - It's probably not ground-breaking enough to become a true collector's car, but has some significant advances in cross-over vehicles, and low production numbers, which could make it collectable at some point (in the distant future).

VX Value Deficits:

Age - as time goes on, the vehicle will become more expensive to maintain
Poor utility - poor fuel efficiency, uncomfortable inside, and not much cargo room

Despite the deficits, I believe the VX presents enough benefits to hold off significant depreciation. Long-term, I think the VX will come back in value. I think '01 Protons will be the most valuable of the group. These are my opinions, of course. Let's see how well they hold up over the next 5-10 years! :D

bumblebee
12/14/2005, 12:47 PM
If you're going to sell a VX - don't sell it cheap. A 2001 VX should go for about $18,000 in good condition, not $9,000. Personally, I wouldn't sell my 2001 Proton for anything less then $20,000. However, you'll never see mine for sale in my life time. It's till death do us part. ;)

mbeach
12/14/2005, 01:11 PM
I can't stand to see anyone offer their VX for sale for anything less than $15k.
Yet, it's been happening a lot over the last few months.
It makes me feel like I'll be stuck with mine forever. (I like them, but I'd also like a new truck, and a station wagon, and a sports car, and a Unimog, and a track car, and a motorcycle, and, well, you get the point.)

driver3
12/14/2005, 04:17 PM
I agree.. except for the unfortable part.. I've driven mine across the country twice... I love the recaros.. they feel nice to me.. not sure about the back seat though.. never riddin in the back before... : )

dkmiller68
12/14/2005, 04:48 PM
The good side of falling prices is that when I wear this one out, the next one will be affordable.

kpaske
12/14/2005, 05:21 PM
I agree with driver3 about the comfort. I think some of the best things going for the VX is the comfortable ride, on and off road, as well as the great Recaro seats. I too have driven up and down both coasts several times, as well as across the country, and I always look forward to a road trip in my VX. If it weren't for having to stop every 300 miles to fill up for $40+ I would probably take a lot more road trips than I do.

The depreciation is actually one of the things that keeps me in my VX. I've had mine since 1999 when they still cost $30k+ and now that it's finally paid off, I don't plan to replace it for many years to come. It's great not having a car payment, but more importantly, I've dumped so much money into it, it still owes me another couple hundred thousand miles.

shoota77
12/14/2005, 06:09 PM
As someone who's driven from boston to anchorage...and back...i'm going to have to agree and say the seats are daaamn comfortable. even on those crazy alcan "roads"

blacksambo
12/14/2005, 07:25 PM
As someone who's driven from boston to anchorage...and back...i'm going to have to agree and say the seats are daaamn comfortable. even on those crazy alcan "roads"

Has anybody factored in the value of the fact that these vehicles were pretty much hand assembled in an era of largely robot produced cars/trucks? Also, the crossoverr nature of this little beast. It truly is half sports car and half truck. Porsche Cayenne is pretty much all truck, maybe some station wagon. (remember the small size of the VX is sports car unique).

thebear54
12/15/2005, 10:16 AM
I agree there.....
It's just a temporary "holiday" slump....not to worry, I'm not! :p
John

WormGod
12/16/2005, 07:49 AM
The VX has no "resale" value. It is simply priceless. You can not put a price on it. It's a gem. A gift, heaven-sent.

Why you would even attempt to put a price on it and sell it.... I dunno.

:D

transio
12/16/2005, 09:03 AM
Why you would even attempt to put a price on it and sell itA million and a half dollars will buy a new Bugatti. :)