PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt/Water pump Install

VCrossfan
12/10/2005, 04:35 PM
Well I just hit 90,000 miles and Tackled the Timing Belt/Water Pump install. I want to thank RANDY for his "How To" (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=14) on the dismantle/install. Along with Some pages I copied from Advanced Auto parts Belt Bible it was a big help. And RANDY your right about the band-aids. Hats off Randy...Thx..

Maugan_VX
12/10/2005, 05:42 PM
from start to finish, about how long did it take you?

VCrossfan
12/10/2005, 07:30 PM
Take out my breaks and trips to the local parts store I'd say I spent around 5 hours. Take your time and CHANGE THE WATER PUMP ALSO!!!! It's ran by the timing belt. The first couple hours in to the job you can't see it yet. I also went with the Goodyear Gator Belt, It's alittle more $$ but worth it to me. Also double/triple check your timing marks when you install the belt there's marks on the belt you line up with the marks on the overhead cam pulley lines and Crank notch. 3 revolutions on the crank the pulley lines/crank notch marks will line to there corresponding marks, but the marks on the belt of course will not (belt marks are for the install only) The lower mark on the block that you line the notch up with on the lower pulley is hard to see, I used a pencil to accent it. The upper overhead cam marks in the head are visable, and the pulley marks are nice and readable. Checkout Randys Thread with that and the 3 pages from Advanced auto made it easier. Good luck all.

kpaske
12/10/2005, 11:14 PM
My timing belt install has been overdue for a while now... can you post the info you got from advanced auto?

VCrossfan
12/11/2005, 09:56 AM
Yep..When I get home I'll scan it and see how it looks. Or I'll get the name of the "Belt Bible" The info came from. It was a desk copy but I knew the manager and he let me take down to Staples to make copies...

kpaske
12/11/2005, 05:23 PM
Great, thanks... I really need to get in there and get this done, I'm just afraid it's going to take me three days to do it (and I just don't have three days to spare right now!). The more information I have in front of me to make the job go smoother, the better.

SilverBullet75
12/11/2005, 09:06 PM
Did you replace the tensioner also?