PDA

View Full Version : trim around headlights?

coachreed
04/07/2003, 05:49 PM
I was driving down the road yesterday and heard the faint sound of something flapping in the wind... then I noticed that a piece of rubber trim around the drivers side headlight was flapping around. I was able to stuff it back in its place, but the adhesive seems to be no good and so I guess I need to glue it in place. I was considering just silicone but didn't want to be cheap... should I replace the thing now while I can get it... assuming I CAN get it. Anyone have the same problem? Anyone know how much this rubber trim piece is? I guess I can check the dealer in the AM, but just wanted to see if anyone else noticed a problem like this.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

RalphDog
04/07/2003, 07:19 PM
If you do a search about this here or on the Vmag site you will see this is one of the most commom problems a VX has, you will also see there are many different ways to solve it. Mine was new, and was delivered this way. I don't quite know how the warranty is for the second owner, but if you can, get Isuzu to pay for it. Have a dealer order the part, and then wait while they fix it. That's what I did, and while it was a hassle that's what the warranty's there for. As far as I know, I don't think anyone here has has ever been denied this repair under warranty, but I could be wrong.

By the way that weatherstripping/trim is important, and not just for cosmetics. Use the search feature (if the problem hasn't been addressed here, it's definitely on Vmag - many times), the info will be very helpful if you have to, or decide to, fix it on your own.

coachreed
04/07/2003, 08:45 PM
RalphDog-
Thanks for the reply. I'll go take a look around... aka searching now! Trim's not just for cosmetics? that sounds nice. I'll check back if I don't find the info I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Randy!

AnalogVX
04/07/2003, 09:58 PM
Mine came up too. I just used super glue. Fine ever since.

coachreed
04/08/2003, 05:23 AM
Well, I did a search and only found that this is one of the common problems with the VX. I didn't however find anything about why it is more than cosmetic... why is it NOT just cosmetic?

I guess I'll end up using either clear silicone on it or mitre-bond (same as super glue but much stronger).

TTYL!

Coach!

RalphDog
04/08/2003, 06:38 AM
I'm quoting Navigator from the Vmag board on this one:

"Helps deflect dirt from being directly sucked into the engine."

Navigator
04/08/2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by RalphDog
I'm quoting Navigator from the Vmag board on this one:

"Helps deflect dirt from being directly sucked into the engine."

Isuzu replaced my headlights about a year ago, no problems since.

BTW... Ralphdog, I caught a glimpse of a Kaiser headed north on I-83 from Baltimore toward York PA, was that you? I was in the Kaiser VX honking my horn and fliping my lights for at least 5 exits trying to say hello :D

We have a local meet coming up on April 26 at the Hooters in Rockville MD @ 2pm. All VX's are invited :D Hope to see you there.

RalphDog
04/08/2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the invite Navigator, and I only wish that was me you saw on 83.

My story, though it should probably have a thread of its own its so pathetic:

After searching for months I found the perfect VX for me out in CA. It was new, and the price was better than the going rate for used ones in the area. I purchased it on 2/14. Then my waiting began.

Four weeks later my VX arrived (the dealer wasn't much for after sales service), but with absolutely no paperwork saying I owned the car. That began what has become a three week long stuggle with the CA DMV to get a title delivered. It came yesterday from Fed Ex, of course I wasn't home so they didn't deliver.

Bottom line is, the only driving I have done with my VX, is to the dealer to fix the headlights, after dark and on back roads, so no cops would pull me over for driving without a license plate (I also snuck out to the car wash one night).

My experience is similar to kid with 49 Christmas Eves and no Christmas Mornings to open presents. I guess it will finally be over today after my title comes, and I go out to register the car. Of course with my luck they'll want some other piece of paperwork that I don't have. I think I can laugh about it now because I know the wait was worth it.

SPAZZ
04/08/2003, 08:05 AM
I had Isuzu fix each side twice, then gave up and started super gluing them when they come loose.

Pam
04/08/2003, 04:59 PM
Yeah, mine came loose on the driver's side one morning on my way to work. I could only catch a glimpse of something flapping around by my headlight. I couldn't stop the car on the highway and I was hoping it wouldn't just fall out. But I made it fine, got back home and super glued it back in. It started raining about an hour later, but it's stayed put.

coachreed
04/08/2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the replies... I ended up using some clear silicone to glue it back in place today. After glueing the one side, I checked the other to find that it was just about to fall off too. Go figure. Well, with the adhesive traits of silicone and its flexibility, it should NEVER come off again. Case Closed!

Coach... aka Randy!

SCUDD
04/08/2003, 06:26 PM
I just pulled the trim off when I got my headlight covers...there's a little gap now but barely noticeable