PDA

View Full Version : OME 912 lift

Scott Harness
12/07/2005, 08:07 AM
Has anyone had problems with the OME 912 lift? I lifted my vx with the 912 lift. When I'm at highway speeds and lift off throttle a vibration occurs. The instant you add throttle the vibration stops. I made sure the springs were seated properly,it helped a little,but the vibration was still there. I put the stock springs back on. No vibration! My question is "Can you get a bad set of springs?" It seemed they had bad resonance! Thanks for any help. Scott

AlaskaVX
12/07/2005, 10:59 AM
I get the same vibration too, I figured it could be the angle of the front drive shaft? It kinda hops on the highway when foot is off the gas. When $ allows I want to get a CV drive shaft, hopefully that will fix the vibration.

tomdietrying
12/07/2005, 11:06 AM
Scott,
Did you get your front end aligned after you put the OME 912s on?
Peace.
Tom

Scott Harness
12/07/2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks AlaskaVX, Hi Tom Yes I did the front-end aliighnment. The vibration was definately coming from the rear. I had someone drive me around while I laid in the back and listened.

mbeach
12/07/2005, 01:54 PM
I picked up some 912s from Crager34, who had them for some time and never installed them. Now, I'm considering using these things as a door stop as well.

When the vibration starts, does it only occur at the moment the rear suspension is unloaded (weight transfer)? Or does it continue to do vibrate until the rear suspension is loaded again?

AlaskaVX
12/07/2005, 02:34 PM
Well it doesn't do it while on the brakes so wouldn't the rear be unloaded then? It only tends to happen while coasting. I have had my front drive shaft boot tear before that is whe lead me to believe that the angle is what was causing the vibration.

BBVX
12/07/2005, 04:10 PM
Scott,

I get the same thing, noise only while maintaining speed. No sound while accelerating or coasting (slowing down). It's definitely a driveline vibration thing.

Do you offroad at all? My dealership diagnosed the problem as being bent rear axle stabilizer bars and a bent lateral rod, in other words, the things that hold the axle in the proper place. They wanted $1200 to replace all three. Instead we put it on the lift at a buddy's garage, took the rods off and straightened them with a jack. The sound all but disappeared, until I took it offroading again. :rolleyes:

When I get a chance, I'll probably replace them with rods from Stinkyfab. They're much cheaper, and pre-bent. ;)

Brian

dkmiller68
12/07/2005, 04:42 PM
I did not experience any problems with mine. I did the ball joint flip and had the front alignment performed at the same time. Then I drove from Atlanta to Moab and back...no problems.

Scott Harness
12/07/2005, 04:57 PM
mbeach ,it continues until rear is loaded again. the slightest weight transfer starts and stops it. or speed gets under 60 mph then it doesn't vibrate

Rooster
12/09/2005, 09:33 PM
I picked up some 912s from Crager34, who had them for some time and never installed them. Now, I'm considering using these things as a door stop as well.

When the vibration starts, does it only occur at the moment the rear suspension is unloaded (weight transfer)? Or does it continue to do vibrate until the rear suspension is loaded again?

If your considering selling them, I'd like first crack.

Scott Harness
12/10/2005, 06:58 AM
I'm keeping mine for Moab!

crager34
12/10/2005, 07:13 AM
I sold the springs because I wasn't interested in wheelin' any more and didn't want to sacrafice anything on the lift. I didn't know of any issues with lifting the VX, other than what has been mentioned on this site. I do think the VX looks incredible when lifted.

VR4-Quest
02/06/2006, 11:10 AM
Just did the OME912 lift, and around 65 mph when lifting off the throttle I get a pretty good vibration accompanied my noise, and yes, once below 60mph, it goes away. But a round 40 - 60, there is a small roughness, although noting like at 65. Its hard to imagine the lift doing this and it being the rear driveshaft angle, as it doesnt look that drastic. I re-lubed the U-joints and the axle itself..........did nothing to the noise and vibration. its definitely a result of the lift cause it wasnt there before.
I can live with it, but if its doing damage to the trans, diff, etc.....it might be a bigger problem!