PDA

View Full Version : ABS light on

Anita
11/29/2005, 04:26 PM
Over the weekend, the ABS light came on on my VX. Checked the fuse - it looked okay. When I turn off the ignition and turn it back on the light doesnt come on. After a few miles of driving and braking it comes on again.

What possibilities am I facing? I remember a couple of guys talking here on the site about having to buy a modular pump assembly (???) or something like that. LOTS of $$$ from Isuzu, but relatively cheap finding one on the web.

SPAZZ
11/29/2005, 05:34 PM
everyonce in a while my ABS light comes on too. Not sure why. I remove wheels...grab the lugs and spin each one around.press on breaks...rotate again...put wheel back on...light goes off for a few months...then comes back on.

????? Not sure why...ABS is overrated anyways.

AlaskaVX
11/29/2005, 05:37 PM
check your brake fluid and top it off

zadam123
11/29/2005, 05:47 PM
I remember a couple of guys talking here on the site about having to buy a modular pump assembly (???) or something like that. LOTS of $$$ from Isuzu, but relatively cheap finding one on the web.

Yup isuzu wanted 2500 for that pump, I got it online for 100. and another 50 installed, been over a year and no more problems.

adam

kpaske
11/29/2005, 06:02 PM
Mine has been on for quite some time now... I still haven't figured out why. I checked around behind the wheels to ensure nothing was unplugged but never found anything. Brake fluid is topped off. Does anyone know step by step how to troubleshoot this problem? I'd hate to go out and buy a pump if that's not the problem.

Ruflyf
09/07/2006, 04:40 AM
Anita, did u ever figure out a solution to the ABS light coming on after a few miles? Also did your vx stumble while driving occasionally? I am having both of these happen and was just wondering if they could be related. Also one last symptom I am having is a fluctuating tach. It doesnt affect the engine performance, just fluctuates like the tach sensor is going out.

BTW all of this happened after I started getiing ONLY a 2k rpm idle. I followed the advice and cleaned the idle control valve after reinstalling the idle was fine but these other problems arose. I am wondering now if my sensor safe cleaner wasnt so sensor safe.

Anita
09/07/2006, 07:53 AM
When my mechanic went into the VX to look for the problem he found that 2 things happened. One, the hydraulic abs module went out but also portion of the ECM that controlled the ABS was out as well. I was fortunate to find used parts from a VX that had only 7K miles and paid a fraction of what new parts would have cost. Honestly, I think the truck brakes a lot better without that ABS. I have had a few close calls because of it.

The only time that my vx ever faltered was related to the shifting. I noticed that in the morning when i first started the truck it would falter a little and also noticed that the dash lights illuminating the the gears were blinking at the same time. My mechanic said that the grease surrounding the shift pins over time will harden sometimes causing the truck not to be totally locked in gear. Or sometimes that slight adjustments need to be done to the shifting mechanism. My problem went away with minor adjustment.

I have had racing RPMs when starting the truck that would gradually die down to normal after driving a half block or so. But it disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared.

ameetw
09/07/2006, 10:35 PM
Mine has been on for quite some time now... I still haven't figured out why. I checked around behind the wheels to ensure nothing was unplugged but never found anything. Brake fluid is topped off. Does anyone know step by step how to troubleshoot this problem? I'd hate to go out and buy a pump if that's not the problem.

I'm with you there, My ABS is now constantly on and there is nobody here that can read codes. So right now i'm looking into the trooper route and get a second hand unit.

kpaske
09/08/2006, 07:41 AM
I'm with you there, My ABS is now constantly on and there is nobody here that can read codes. So right now i'm looking into the trooper route and get a second hand unit.There aren't any ISUZU dealers in KL who can read the codes? I wouldn't expect a regular service station to have the equipment. Even here in the US I had to bring it to a dealership (which I prefer not to do if at all possible). I'm not sure how big of an issue it is for you, but I know Isuzu is big in Thailand. There's got to be a dealer in BKK somewhere that can do it. Of course, BKK and KL are probably not practical if you're not on the mainland.

ameetw
09/08/2006, 09:35 PM
There aren't any ISUZU dealers in KL who can read the codes? I wouldn't expect a regular service station to have the equipment. Even here in the US I had to bring it to a dealership (which I prefer not to do if at all possible). I'm not sure how big of an issue it is for you, but I know Isuzu is big in Thailand. There's got to be a dealer in BKK somewhere that can do it. Of course, BKK and KL are probably not practical if you're not on the mainland.

Yup, you are right. I am far far away...... better known as borneo. You've got google earth, i can send you bookmark links.... then you can see my little TOWN..... hehe.. :)

Ameet

Rooster
09/09/2006, 04:40 PM
Mines been on for a while as well. I havent dug into is other than reading up on it here. I guess tomorrow I'll check it out since I have to do an O2 sensor anyways.

LittleBeast
11/07/2006, 03:13 PM
Yeah my ABS light has been on again off again and is now on all the time and just today the VX completely died in the middle of me driving, so i shifted to neutral and started it back up, but I have never had to do that before kinda weird. Also my check engine light just recently came on and it is that large leak that everyone swears is the gas cap, but I tighten mine tightly and I don't think that is it... Any help, I know this is really weird...

ameetw
01/06/2007, 05:45 PM
Yes!!!! My ABS is fixed. The reason it was not working..... Rats!!!. The little thing chewed through one of the wires at the back of the wiper tank. I didn't notice it until I was cleaning the engine bay. At first I didn't know what the wire was, but I jiones and soldered back the wires and tada.... no more ABS light.

Next quest, how to get rid of rats.