PDA

View Full Version : Problems

I_Wanna_Retire
11/28/2005, 10:39 AM
I changed my son's battery, and now nothing works right. The ignition doesn't work, the wipers stay on all the time no matter which setting they are on. The rear window defogger stays on, the A/C doesn't work, and the horn stays on constant. Any hints from you mechanic types where I should start looking?

Rooster
11/28/2005, 10:45 AM
So, what your saying is: Everything that should be on, isn't and everything that should be off is on? Did you reverse the polarity of the battery...??

:D

Sorry, dunno, did you try reconnecting the battery again. And did this problem happen before the new battery?

Good luck!

I_Wanna_Retire
11/28/2005, 10:53 AM
All I did was remove his battery temporarily, and then reinsert, so leads should be OK. The last battery cable sparked quite a bit when trying to attach it, I am wondering if I hosed some type of control unit? The headlights work, the horn does not (on constantly), the defroster does not (on all the time), the wipers do not (on all the time, but I can make them slow or fast depending on setting), control panel lights all come on (like normal) when I insert the key, but motor does not turn over when I turn key on. If somebody could help me pinpoint this, I could potentially steal the same unit from my VX to verify the fix before I order whetver I broke @#$%^.

I_Wanna_Retire
11/28/2005, 12:11 PM
Nope, you were right. I put the battery in backwards. Either I am old or I am a dumb sh*t, probably both. Now to see what other damage I have caused. My son will be pleased... Everything seems to work ok now except for ignition.

Tone
11/28/2005, 12:40 PM
Check voltage - low voltage will cause some of the behavior you are describing. Also check that terminals are completely tight. If you have an aftermarket alarm, it can also lock out the ignition after a battery reconnect - arm and disarm whatever alarm you have.

Rooster
11/28/2005, 02:53 PM
Nope, you were right. I put the battery in backwards. Either I am old or I am a dumb sh*t, probably both. Now to see what other damage I have caused. My son will be pleased... Everything seems to work ok now except for ignition.

I think if you arm and disarm the stock alarm it will reset the ign as well. I seem to remember having to do that after disconnecting my battery. Of course that may have been my Grand Cherokee I'm thinking about...