PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack Accessory Installations - Modifications

JAFO
11/25/2005, 11:24 PM
I have distroyed the rear half of my Thule Playpen (840). Thule has discontinued the Playpen and replaced it with the M.O.A.B. (690) and Xpedition (695 small & 696 large). And since Thule will not sell a replacement rear half I am again looking for a roof accessories.

I have been reading the threads reguarding roof rack accessories and their installations. But what I would like, is to start a thread for roof mounted accessories and the modifications that it took to install them. Or alternatively, products that were attempted to be installed and why they could not be.

JAFO
11/25/2005, 11:25 PM
I'll start off with mine. I have a Thule Playpen (840). Thule had at least two variations of the Playpen. The first one, which I have, is grey with a tectured finish, circa 2002. The second variation was grey but with a smooth finish. The second veriation had the large boxy mounting brackets which they called the "New Clamping System". This was composed of a plastic box, plastic lockable cover and a metal flat plate that went diagnally accross under the rook rack. I do not happen to remember the specifics but I had to discard the mounting brackets off the first version and go with thebrackets from the second. Also the carridge bolts provided were not long enough so I purchased new longer carriage bolts from the local hadware store. And since nobody sells metric carriage bolts in the U.S. I had to buy new wing nuts for the SAE threads. The wing nuts size is limited do to the space in the mounting box and the cover that snaps on over the top.

Review, the Palypen with the modified mounting brackets from the second variation of the playpen worked ok. The mouting brackets where wide but flat. The lower bracket is metal but the upper bracket (case) is plastic, which makes it difficult to lock it down tight without over stressing the plastic case. I also know that this mounting can shift if the basket is impacted with another object. Example; one of the side "Outriggers" snagging a tree.

JAFO
11/25/2005, 11:32 PM
You cannot get the "actual" Rack (Uprights & cross bars) from Yakima you have to get them from Isuzu. (At least no one to my knowledge has found them elsewhere)

Here's a re-print of a post that I made helping another looking for racks and parts.

>>> The Load Warrior is a Cargo Basket that attaches to the OEM roof rack from Isuzu.. You MUST have the OEM roof rack from Isuzu to attach the Load Warrior.. There have been some folk that have come up with roof racks by assembling pieces from Yakima.. I'm not going there.

You don't NEED any "Extension" for the LW but, it is available as an option as well as a whole bunch of other items like Light Mount Brackets, Spare Tire Mount, Hi-Lift Jack brackets, Axe Mounting Bracket, Stretch Nets, and even Zippered, Velcroed, enclosed soft packs. These are all optional addons for the LW system along with the assortment of bike attaching items.

Here's some visual aids to help you in your quest..

http://www.moncha.com/storage/rack2.jpg
OEM Roof Rack

http://www.moncha.com/storage/rack1.jpg
OEM "Wing Bar" close up

http://www.yakima.com/tech_manual/details/8007070-prod-a.gif
Load Warrior Cargo Basket

http://www.yakima.com/tech_manual/details/8007071-prod-a.gif
Load Warrior Extension (It goes in between the 2 halves of the LW to extend the length)

The link I gave you (bikeusa.com) is just the best place that I've found for prices on Yak equipment.
I'd give you specific links to the Yak site but tit is done totally in Flash so, you have to navagate through your self.. <<<<

The rack number is 2-90116-900-0 here is a link (http://www.vehicross.info/downloads/vx_roof_rack.pdf) to the rack manual showin all the parts and numbers.

I hope the visuals help some.

I was at the store today taking measurements of the both the Yakima LoadWarrior and the Thule M.O.A.B. it does not appear that the Yakima LoadWarrior's mounting brackets line up with the approximate 28 1/2" (on center) spacing of the VX roof Rack's. And the mounting brackets can only be possitioned inbetween the basket rods which is about every 4 1/4". Did you have to make modifications inorder for the LoadWarrior's mounting brackets to allign with the roof rack?

JAFO
11/26/2005, 12:12 AM
Thule M.O.A.B. (690) Review:

I just purchased the Thule M.O.A.B today from G.I. Joes for $250 on sale $290 regular price. I purchased the M.O.A.B because I previosly had a Playpen and the price was lower than the Yakima LoadWarrior.

At first I liked the new Thule logo in the metal mesh plate on the side and the adjustable load bars that go accross the basket just like the Playpen had. However appon assembly I noticed that the quality has gone down from the Playpen. The basket does have larger tubbing making it appear strong and aggressive, but the two halves of the basket do not slide together like they used too. Instead they are held together by the two plastic side pieces and two round plastic tubes for the bottom tubes. Instead of four screws there is now eight for the basket and eight that hold the plastic side panels together. Alligning the parts and the predrilled holes is agrevating.

The mounting brackets for the load bars have also changed. Gone is the keyed access and ease of use. Now you have a Alan wrench with a security tip and a square nut. Who wants to lug around special tools to readjust the load bars when you could you the same key as the rest of your gear? As for security those Alan wrenches are available at every hardware store so anybody with a $ .50 tool can remove the load bars and everything that is attached to them.

Last the mounting brackets are improved with a system that looks an ahfull lot like Yakima, in fact I would almost sware that the M.O.A.B. was made by Yakima. The brackets are V shaped, a great emprovement over the flat, however for our VX the mounting brackets are off by approximately 1/4" + from sitting correctly on the roof rails. And because the mounting brackets, like the Yakima LoadWarrior, have no fine tunning ability, they can only be possitioned inbetween the rods of the basket at approximately 4 1/4" spacing.

Conclusion: The basket could be exteneded slightly be removing the bottom plastic tubes and replacing them with longer metal/plastic tubes but then the side panels would also need to be modified. Which there is problem, the small tubes that usually curve up from the bottom and join into the large tube at the top don't in the middle. Their cut off. Left plain and are just covered up by the plastic side pannel. So if you extend the basket you would have these unfinished open tubes with no support.

I'm completely discussed with this product and will be returning it first thing tomorrow. This product is not even comparable to the Playpen.

Ldub
11/26/2005, 08:33 AM
I like the way my X-pedition looks, ck. my gallery for pics.

Ldub

JAFO
11/26/2005, 12:02 PM

Ldub

Ya, it looks great. From looking at the installation manual on www.Thule.com it looks like the mounting brackets can slide and be locked into anyplace along the length of the basket. And the U-shaped brackets fit our roof rack without modification?

I might go with the Xpedition but I also wanted the adjustable load bars for ski and bike racks.

TEN36VX
11/26/2005, 05:29 PM
I have the LoadWarrior with the extension installed. Fits perfectly and, leaving it attached to the wing bars, is easy to add or remove as needed for cargo or gas mileage. NO modification required.

kpaske
11/26/2005, 09:14 PM
I've also got the Load Warrior with extension. It's a great rack, very well made and holds a lot of stuff. I think the VX wing bars have a load limit of 300 lbs, but I've traveled cross-country with probably close to twice that with no issues (don't try that at home, kids ;). I personally think it looks better than any of the other racks, especially when you throw your full size spare up there.

Ldub
11/27/2005, 07:04 AM
And the U-shaped brackets fit our roof rack without modification?

They might, but I used the square headed/ T- shaped bolts that slide horizontally into the groove in the VX crossbar.

Ldub

JAFO
11/27/2005, 07:04 PM
Ok, so I headed back to the store and picked up the Thule Xpedition 696 (large version, smaller 695 aso available). $350 regular price with a 20% off coupon, on day only holiday sale, brought it to $280 out the door. (Luckly I live in Oregon, no sales tax)

Installation:
First off the U-shaped bolts will not fit. They are approximately 1/8 to 1/4" too small. But there is an alternative mounting method, which Ldub mentioned, which the hardware is also included.

After assmebling the rack per instructions. Remove one end cap from each roof rail. Second remove the rubber trim on the top of the roof rack by sliding it out the side. Put the roof rack on the VX if you haven't already. Set the assembled basket onto the roof rack. Insert the t-bolts provided into the top channel and slide them into possition. Slide the mouting brackets on the basket to allign with the T-bolts. Center the basket.

Optional part. After centering the basket, I carefully removed the basket while making sure not to bump the T-bolts, and then took the rubber trim and cut it to fit around the T-bolts and put it back in place. This way the basket is sitting on the rubber and the roof rack's channels are finished off not left bare. I should also say that if you remove the basket in the future it may look a little funny having a couple of bolts sticking up on the rails but on the other hand the rubber trim will keep the T-bolts in possition so you won't have to center the basket when you put it back on.

Review:
The Thule Xpedition looks great, its got that high tech look. Installation was easy, time consuming but easy. The mounting brackets and the included eye-loops, are infinitely adjustable along the length of the basket. The two side foor pieces have a channel on the inside and outside edge and the brackets can mount on either side. It does not however have the adjustable load bars for adding bike or ski racks to the top of the basket.

SPAZZ
11/27/2005, 11:56 PM
I believe the Vehicross wing tops say maximum weight limit not to exceed 100 or 120 pounds. You say you had like 300 or double that????? Inquiring minds wanna know WTF and how did you manage that without ripping your load off in the wind????

I have the Extended Load Warrior and I do not think the plastic clamps could hold that force...especially at highway speeds.

kpaske
11/29/2005, 06:14 PM
I'd have to go outside to look to be sure (and it's cold as heck up here so I'm not up for that tonight ;) but I think it's 300 max. If it's only 120 then I was really pushing the limit, huh? But yeah, I drove from Georgia to DC, then from DC to WA with about 500-600 lbs worth of stuff up there. No problems whatsoever.

I made sure I packed the stuff so it was sort of aerodynamic - the stuff in the front was packed a little lower than the stuff towards the back - but I don't imagine that had a huge impact.

VCrossfan
12/20/2005, 11:36 AM
Big Thanks to LDUB. I ordered the Thule 695 Xpedition the small version (50.4" x 31.1"). Ldub and I think JAFO have the 696 Large version ("62.2" x 39.0")) I just need alittle more storage at times. It should be here this week and am looking into a quick release style setup. If I come up with something Forum Worthy I'll post da-pic's. And for $239.20 at my door that was the great part. Merry Christmas to me...

ZEUS
12/22/2005, 10:14 AM
I was interestind in getting the Thule Xpedition for my VX but was turned off by the price and available sizes ($300 for 50.4"L x 31.1"W and $350 for the 62.2"L x 39"W w/free shipping from JC Whitney) so I kept looking around... low and behold I found on eBay what looks to be the Xpedition (except listed at 40"W x 55 1/2"L)! Maybe they mixed the pieces together to make this third size? Anyway, I decided to purchase it - after shipping the total came to $203! I haven't installed it yet but after placing it atop my ride I have to say these dimensions are perfect for the roof of the VX. I am going to remove a bit of material and then fab some mounts to afix the rack as low as possible without having to use the WAY too tall stock crossbars. When I am done I'll try to post some pics. Check eBay though for this "Thuleless" Xpedition - even the installation manual says "Xpedition" on it. There were countless numbers of them available and the price can't be beat.

Jonnie
06/27/2006, 06:01 PM

Ldub

695 or 696?

Jonnie

Ldub
06/27/2006, 06:05 PM
I used the larger of the two.