PDA

View Full Version : Running wires for backup camera?

IsuZOOM
04/06/2003, 09:06 PM
I've never done anything like that - best I've done are in-dash installs like radios, etc. Where are the wires run from the rear camera area in the rear tire, all the way to the dash behind the radio (for an in-dash LCD) ? Any how-to's or pictures? Any special tools required? I obviously want a 'perfect' and totally hidden installation as far as the wiring is concerned! (And I'll be happy to take lots of pics and post a how-to once I actually receive my VX and install a cam!)

IsuZOOM
04/12/2003, 09:29 AM
Anyone? I suppose it's the same for sub wiring - so I know lots of you have done this!

Moncha
04/12/2003, 09:56 AM
Since the rear door has it's hinges on the driver's side, there is a wire channel (Boot) that connects the door to the rest of the body. You can run the wires through there and along the side panel (You can take it off if you want or wait for final routing when you go to Dynamat), along the door sill and up the apillar kick panel to the dash.
I just installed some switches for a foglight project and rear door popper (Yes, I do have the pics of the switch bezel and switches, just got to get them up for you), The dash splits in half, upper and lower and affords the easiest access to components I have ever seen on any vehicle. A Phillips screwdriver and patience is all that is required...
Have fun!

IsuZOOM
04/14/2003, 11:41 AM
Who keeps deleting my posts?? I replied to this last night.

Anyhoo, I can't get into the spot where the camera goes! I tried removing the spare, then the retaining clippy things and the nut caps and washers. Nothing budged, or could be budged! How do I get in there??

Moncha
04/14/2003, 11:43 AM
Very interesting... I saw it yesterday but, now I don't... I 'll check into it...

edyavno
04/14/2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Randy712

Anyhoo, I can't get into the spot where the camera goes! I tried removing the spare, then the retaining clippy things and the nut caps and washers. Nothing budged, or could be budged! How do I get in there??
You have to remove the "half moon" plastic piece on the outside of your rear door, this is where the camera goes. As far as I remember there are two bolts holding it from the inside, so you do have to remove the spare to get to them. There's also some adhesive stuff holding the half moon, so you'll have to pool slightly after the bolts are removed.

IsuZOOM
04/14/2003, 01:29 PM
That's what I'm having trouble doing - there were clip retainer things, which I removed, and I unbolted the screws, and it still wouldn't budge. So it's just an adhesive strip or something holding it on? I'm concerned about getting water (and other weather) in there, anything that can happen? Seems like it's painted so it might be okay. I'm just really concerned about removing it to install the camera, and not having replacement adhesive stuff to get it watertight again before it rains! (Which is often in Colorado). Any danger of leaving half-moon off for awhile?

Maverick
01/16/2004, 08:09 AM
I know this is an old post, but i was curious if anyone could point me to a scan of the original factory wiring diagram for the back up cam. I know many manufactures actually prewire their vehicles for options, so im wondering if there might even be a power tap some place existing already for this purpose (though i know this is a slim chance.)
Im currently in the planning stages for both reverse looking cam, as well as a forward looking cam tied into a small recorder (probably 8mm or digital) for covert surveilance (im in that business) , with a single button remote record function. Ill mount a mini lcd in the "fuzzy hole" for display, and possibly a larger lcd in the back tire cover if itll fit ( for demo videos at events) as well as a few other gadgets.. the new lcd "speaker" technology might be usefull there..
Anyhow, i want to see what the factory put in before i start drawing up wiring schematics...
thanks in advance...