PDA

View Full Version : Buggy Whip

SilverBullet75
11/20/2005, 09:45 AM
Hi,
2 questions...
Anybody know where I can buy a Buggy Whip?
Where can I mount it if I don't have a hitch or roof rack?
Thanks!

Maugan_VX
11/20/2005, 09:52 AM
might be able to mount it to a side-view mirror. Maybe a magnet mount?

On my trooper, I just drilled straight into the body for a CB antenna mount. Of course I'd have to be on some heavy drugs to take a drill bit to the body of the VX :)

Ldub
11/20/2005, 10:15 AM
You could fab up an aluminium crossmember that ties into the factory rack rails & mount it there.
Remember...here at Ldub inc. we specialize in free advice that's ALWAYS worth what you paid for it!...maybe even less.
Ldub

Oh yeah, you can get a "buggy whip" at any truckstop, USA...but could probably find one cheaper online.
Maybe Nocturnal will sell ya "the monster" ;) :p :confused:

mbeach
11/21/2005, 08:50 AM
We use Maxrad 3/4 roof mounts for our VHF and CB antennas.

Drill a nice clean hole (with a hole saw, not a twist drill), clean up the burrs and drop in the antenna mount. It has a weatherprooof o-ring seal and I've never seen one leak (I've installed 100s). The antenna mount with 17' of RG-58 costs us @ $15.00.

When it comes time to remove the antenna, we have nice little chrome caps that screw over the top of the mount to keep it clean.

It should be noted that among my many other duties here, I am the mobile radio installer for Alyeska Pipeline Service Company. I have hundreds of trucks that drive up and down the Trans-Alaska Pipeline every day.
These antenna mounts have never failed us.

AlaskaVX
11/21/2005, 03:48 PM
mbeach... u got the hookup on VHF radio's? I will need to talk to you bout that one when/if you ever come to Anchorage.

mbeach
11/21/2005, 04:13 PM
Alan,
I'm getting ready to leave for the day, but I'll PM you tomorrow.