PDA

View Full Version : Studded snow tires

blacksambo
11/14/2005, 07:13 AM
Can any body offer any advice on which brands of stuuded snows might be best for a VX?Thx

mbeach
11/14/2005, 09:35 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there is only ONE studded snow tire for the VX. I've put a set on each of my trucks, and they are amazing. See the TOD discussion thread later for photos of some stuff that I drive through regularly with mine.

Nokian Hakkapelitta SUV, studded, size 255/60R18.

I can's possibly say enough about how great they are. During testing (of the TOD), we had a very difficult time getting them to spin, even an very hardpacked snow and frozen gravel.

BOSSKE
11/14/2005, 03:33 PM
I just put 31x10.5 studs on 15 inch wheels. Runs perfect here in Alaska!
Cooper brand! American Tire store. Price is around $120 for 1 tire.

mbeach
11/14/2005, 03:55 PM
I just realized that I had made a bunch of typos in my first post. I'll blame my fat fingers for that.

A few guys that I work with use the Cooper M+Ss (with and without studs). They seem to do well.

The Nokians were spendy, but they blow Blizzaks away -and they will undoubtably last longer.

SkidPlate
11/14/2005, 08:05 PM
I'm running Firestone Destination M/T 245/75R16 with Studs. The traction is amazing. The ride noise is pretty noticeable, but it's a reasuring sound.

There are a few pictures in my gallery.

blacksambo
11/14/2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I'll try for the Nokians.

thebear54
11/15/2005, 04:01 AM
You mean it snows in Saratoga Too ???????????
LOL.....
Up here in the boonies of Vermont I just run the stock tires...have for the past two winters and never a problem with traction or slipping. If you are going the studded route use the "Nokes"
John

VehiGAZ
11/15/2005, 06:04 AM
Now I understand you boys in Alaska needing studded snows, but in Pennsylvania?!? Or even Saratoga?!? Studded snows are for people who drive on roads covered by snow and ice virtually all winter long. If that's not the case, then you really don't need them, especially on a VX with full-time 4WD.

Well, I'll qualify that - I suppose studs would help in braking performance. But largely, I'm with the Bear - you probably don't need studs in your tires in most of the lower 48.

SkidPlate
11/15/2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I know it's overkill, but what the heck! More traction isn't necessarliy a bad thing...

Seriously though, I had some breaking issues two years ago on ice/snow. I slid down a hill, through a stop sign, and into a Neon. I didn't want to re-live that again so I went all out and bought these studded tires to go on my 16's that I had just laying around.

I've been really satisfied with them, and no more Neon problems. :)

blacksambo
11/15/2005, 08:51 PM
It's really for my wife's black 99 VX. She has never had to drive on snow and ice, having just moved here from Ireland. Also, does anybody know if Trooper 16's will fit on a VX with no problems? Thanks again for all the great input. I've located Nokian LP's for $161.00 apiece installed with studs, how does this price compare?

VehiGAZ
11/16/2005, 05:49 AM
Okay, I take it all back - studded snows are an EXCELLENT idea to avoid ramming Neons and for people who have never driven on snow before!

mbeach
11/16/2005, 09:20 AM
LOL,
My wife is not an ice driver either. I was initially buying the Nokians for her VX, and decided to get them for mine as well.

I don't think that that price is for the same tires that I have, mine cost just about $300 each (18"). I'm certain that they would be better priced in a 16" size.

This site was indispensable:
http://www.snowtire.info/

Based on their recommendations, I went searching for the Green Diamond tires, using the Yokohama M/T as a base. These were unavailable up here, so I decided just to eat the cost and buy Blizzaks. Well, I didn't want to give up my 18's (this all makes sense later), and the Blizzak DM-Z3 (18") cost over $300 a corner. Since I was already spending the money, I figured that I'll go with a premium brand ice/snow tire.

These are the tires I have:
http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/_cache/43fced3ac07cf9b736e00adafc7b112d.jpg
The ones on the left are the 'new pattern'. These are the ones that I was sent. My only complaint is the tread void size. The voids are 1/4 to 1/2 an inch across, which is coincidentally the exact same size as the gravel that is spread on the roads here (we don't use salt -too cold). These tires fling rocks-a-plenty and they are tearing up my mudflaps.