PDA

View Full Version : rubber gasket around front headlights

glock
11/07/2005, 08:58 AM
Hi, the rubber gaskets around both of my front headlights have come off ( the adhesive must have worn out) I called the dealer to see if I could replace them and was told you need to buy the whole headlight assembly. for $340.00 per light. Has anyone else had these gaskets come off and if so what is a fix for it. Is there another type of gasket I can put in there? thanks, Mike :confused:

Anita
11/07/2005, 09:16 AM
Glock,

Check this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4427

Ldub
11/07/2005, 10:57 AM
I used plain old clear silicone caulk/adhesive to glue mine back on over a yr. ago & they're still holding tight.
Ldub

Kenny
11/07/2005, 11:57 AM
I also did mine this summer with UV resistant adhesive. I strongly suggest you take a bit of time to line up the gasket where you want it to go around the headlight before you glue; otherwise you may get a gap between the headlight and hood if you place the gasket too far back. Also, taking out the headlights might make life easier (and give you a chance to explore!).
Good Luck.

glock
11/07/2005, 12:05 PM
thanks, I will try some silicone.

VehiGAZ
11/07/2005, 12:17 PM
I recently used one of the Goop products (the one in a purple tube) to glue one of mine back on.

This assumes that you have the gaskets. If you don't, you should consider using weather stripping or something.

Good luck!

LukeVX
11/07/2005, 01:11 PM
I've seen this post before but no one ever answered the question: "Does it actually damage the vehical to run without the gaskets?" Are we wasting our time? It really doesn't do anything for the look of the car. I actually think it looks just as good with out any.

Thanks guys

Luke

VX FIX
11/07/2005, 06:08 PM
I purchased just the gaskets from St Charles Isuzu..about a month ago.
They were about $32.00 for the pair. I glued them on with some black 3m weatherstrip adhesive.. It was easy to do ..but do take your time ...

Tyler
11/08/2005, 09:10 AM
I took my gaskets off over a year ago. I see no purpose for them whatsoever. I did take some black tape and outline the oustide edge of the lenses so when the hood is shut it looks black. I think it looks better than the gaskets and gives a nice uniform appearence.

Kenny
11/08/2005, 04:11 PM
LukeVX,
I ran a while without the gaskets and found that in driving rain, it got a bit wet in and around the battery and filter box. So I think the gaskets do help somewhat in rain.

LukeVX
11/09/2005, 06:28 AM
Good point Kenny. Something I didn't notice when I ran mine w/out gaskets. I'm going to keep that in mind for when I get to the point that I can just garage the VX and save it for my future children. That way I can keep it out of the rain for a while ;) Thanks.

Navigator
01/25/2006, 08:34 PM
Get a pair of GTS headlight covers for about $50. I've been using them, and here are my findings:

1. They really look good
2. They keep the gaskets in place, no more glueing
3. Because they seal outside of the OEM gaskets they keep the rain and water out better.
4. They provide extra protection from road debris and protect our $300+ lights for only $50.
5. Did I mention they look good, oh yes I did :D

Note anything other than CLEAR covers may be illegal in some states, but they come in Carbon Fiber, and Smoke(dark gray) colors.

Scott Harness
01/26/2006, 06:36 AM
Hey Navigator, do you know the web site for the GTS covers. Iwould like to check them out. thanks Scott

Navigator
01/26/2006, 12:12 PM
Hey Navigator, do you know the web site for the GTS covers. Iwould like to check them out. thanks Scott

Here is the link http://deflectors4less.com/gtstheco21.html

They also have WeatherFlectors for the windows, which mount in the window channels, and seem to solve the window sticking issue, among other benefits such as:

1: They look good

2: Let air in and keep rain out

3: Keeps the interior cool in the summer

4: Provide tint at eye level where it is needed on the side windows

5: Open up the window channels so that the glass slides easier

Two cheap mods that solve two irritating problems AND make the VX look even better IMO.

http://deflectors4less.com/gtstheco21.html :smilewink

WormGod
01/27/2006, 07:16 AM
*This product is intended for show, competition, and off-road use only.*

That exact line on that site is your warning and I ignored it. Landed me an inspection ticket with them on once. Be aware.

Driving with them during the day is no issue. It's when headlights are needed, like rain, fog, and night driving when you can not have them on. This IS a nationwide law for headlight obstruction. Not trying to be a cock-blocker, but you should be aware in case you dont care to pay for an inspection after you get a ticket.

BigJoe
01/27/2006, 03:55 PM
I noticed one day on the way to work that they were coming loose. I cleaned the area and used crazy glue. So far so good.

tysamigo
07/15/2007, 09:07 AM
I lost one seal somewhere on the road and other was always gone. I just received 2 new ones from my local dealer (very costly).

I really don't know how they are suppoesd to attach. The seal is a V shape and part of the seal has "teeth" cut out. Could someone help describe or post a pic showing how they are to be attached?

Is the top of the seal supposed to be flush with the top contour of the headlight?

I just polished my headlights and thought I would take care of this while it's on my mind.

Thanks

Joe Isuzu
07/15/2007, 03:58 PM
Do a search for past threads using headlamp gasket or something similar. I had the same problem with the gaskets in terms of not having a clue how they're supposed to fit. Chopper answered my question in the past so I had to take them off again to put them on correctly. Either way, the headlamp is somewhat of a tight fit so when you put the lamps back in, don't be surprised if the gasket gets pushed out of place. Argh!