PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendation

Anita
11/06/2005, 07:34 PM
Time for me to say goodbye to my duelers and buy new tires. I'm gonna stay with my stock 18 rims but I need advice as to what brand tire I should get. I live in sunny southern California, so I dont have to consider tires for ice/snowy conditions - A few weeks of big rain through the year, thats all. I have very little knowledge on tires so any advice is welcome. :)

Thanks in advance!

Ldub
11/06/2005, 07:48 PM
I'm really liking the Hankook Ventus that I've been running all summer. I can't say much on tread wear as I haven't had them on that long, but they handle very well in the corners.
Also, when I ordered these, they were one of the most reasonably priced performance tires that I found.
Ck. my gallery for a pic.
Ldub

LittleBeast
11/07/2005, 03:04 AM
I my opinion and many others opinion on this board you cannot get any better than the Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60 R18. Looks, performance, wear, noise, and everything you think of are perfect. Take a look at my gallery I think the 3rd or 4th page has some pics of the tires, maybe the 2nd page. Really I still feel this is the #1 thing that anyone should make sure is a minimum on their VX. Just my two cents.
In Christ,
Ryan Harlan
USA Decathlon Team

Ldub
11/07/2005, 04:48 AM
Anita,
I just checked at discount tire direct. They have the Hankook's @ 285-60x18" for $118.00 ea. free ground shipping. That's wider than stock...would fit rims OK, but may require slight trimming of the cladding.
FYI, Ldub

Joe_Black
11/07/2005, 05:47 AM
I've been running the Kumho Ecsta STX and have been exceptionally pleased with them. They're the quietest tire I've ever ridden and have outstanding grip and ride. Got 'em from Tire Rack for $101 each. These are street performance tires, so I picked up an inexpensive set of Nissan 15" alloys for some offroad tires when the crawlin' mood strikes. I can fit all my gear, the offroad tires and a scuba tank for running an impact wrench in the back of the VX. :)

Oops, forgot the size: 255-55/18

Cyrk
11/07/2005, 06:48 AM
My Toyo Proxes S/T Tires 255/55/18 have been great!

mrlarrys
11/07/2005, 06:59 AM
I ordered the tetra grapplers from discount tires over the internet - 804.00 for four with tire insurance and had Firestone install them this weekend. I was amazed how they made the truck look. I have to say my 2001 Proton does not look cute any more - it now looks tuff like it was ment to look. The best money i spent so far and the trimming was easy and minimal (cant even see it). Good luck
Larry

Cobrajet
11/07/2005, 01:18 PM
I also have the Kumho Ecsta STX in 265/60-18 and am extremely happy with them, after replacing the disappointing Pirelli Scorpion Zero's, which were 285/55-18. Both fit with no trimming. I think the Scorpion's were too wide for the stock wheels and tended to vibrate on the highway. The Kumho's have been smooth and quiet since day one.

mrtew
11/08/2005, 07:14 AM
The Yoko's are the best looking street tire for the VX! Check out my site for picture of them, and of the Nittos! I love them both!

mrlarrys
11/08/2005, 08:12 AM
check out my gallery for pics of the new tires - 2 days old !!

JAFO
11/08/2005, 02:18 PM
Falken Ziex S/TZ-04 (P255/55R-18 109H B) $550 installed at America's Tire Co/Discount Tire Co). I love them, and a lot cheaper than the $1000 Toyo Proxes.

www.falkentire.com/tires_stz04.htm

BigJoe
11/08/2005, 06:07 PM
Falken Ziex S/TZ-04 (P255/55R-18 109H B) $550 installed at America's Tire Co/Discount Tire Co). I love them, and a lot cheaper than the $1000 Toyo Proxes.

www.falkentire.com/tires_stz04.htm

I ordered these from discounttiredirect.com for $104.00 ea. with free shipping.

Great tire, fills in wheel well better than stock. Ride a little bit stiffer. Handling in the wet 1000% better!

Anita
11/08/2005, 09:23 PM
You guys!!

I appreciate you all - thank you. Now that I have a recommendation for almost every 18" tire possible for the VX, the hard decision making begins...

TechnoPope
11/09/2005, 07:50 AM
One more...

I am most happy with the Kumho Ecsta STX. They have a secure feel and excellent grip, even in rain. I have not had a problem hydroplaning in spite of their width. I have heard that they do not last as long as other brands but mine are holding up well. Stay out of the mountains as they provide no traction in snow.

Our other VX is fitted with Yokohama Geolander H/T-S GO52 and I have posted my review elsewhere on these forums. They look great and perform very good, but are a bit of a compromise in handling to get good snow traction.

crager34
11/09/2005, 10:44 AM
If it helps... and even though I do hit snow from time to time... My feeling is the amount of "winter" driving is minimal, compared to dry or simply wet roads. Therefore, I have narrowed my choice to the Khumo's or the Hankook's listed. Good ratings by Consumer reports, good warranties....good reports here... all around GOOD. What will make either choice better is how they are maintained (rotated, aired up...etc).

mbeach
11/09/2005, 11:03 AM
The Yokohama AVSs are my current street/summer tire favorite.

MrTews drove on them for 2 years, drove them from Arizona to Michigan. He gave them to me, and I rode on them for a few months before driving the Alcan to Alaska (much high speed gravel and tight corners). I took them across the Denali Highway (all gravel and fist-sized boulders) and up to the the foot of the Gulkhana glacier (big, wet granite rock).
They performed flawlessly on all the terrain that I encountered, even providing decent flotation in some very loose pea-gravel found in a gravel pit.

My only complaint was the tendency to wander into ruts in poor roads. I think that a wider wheel (than stock) would cut down on this. I finally retired them a month ago, deciding to switch to some Nokian Hakkapellita SUV studs for winter.

My next set of summer tires will most definately be the AVSs again, though maybe in a 16 or 17" size.

crager34
11/09/2005, 06:47 PM
Because Anita might be interested in this. Has anyone tried and liked tires sizes around 306/60/17?

I am looking to widen the stance and get a bit more height from my 255/60/17's and the Miata Tire Size Calc shows nice change.

(nope...I haven't picked my new tires yet)

Anita
11/10/2005, 08:44 AM
Yes it is a hijack, but I was taught to share.... ;)

No lifting for me. I would like a size that fits the wheelwell better, give the VX a wider stance but nothing too aggressive looking. Though I have dipped my toes in the Moab waters several times, I am just a city girl.

Thank you for those who have pictures. The visual helps...

Anita
09/08/2006, 08:52 AM
After much hand-wringing this is the tire I finally decided on: Nittos NT420S
Nittos have such a good reputation. I considered grapplers but the style was a little too aggressive a look for me. I like this - good price too.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/nitto420s.jpg

newthings
09/08/2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Anita from Oregon,
So my old Bridgestones gave out. I hope they served you well.
What size did you end up with on the Nittos?
Roy

Anita
09/08/2006, 02:57 PM
Roy, Your bridgestones served long and well. After deliberating what tire, what size, etc, etc., I decided on the Nittos sized 255 55 18. Like Joe and few others have voiced, I didnt want to shave the cladding. Like them I dont like to do anything to the VX that I cant undo.. even a little sanding. I just got home from mounting them. How sweet they look and I can definitely feel improvement in the ride especially cornering - like glass. I think Im going to really like this tire.

BigDave
09/08/2006, 03:41 PM
Hi from DownUnder

I use Hankook RF08s and have found them very good. Good in the wet and OK in snow (I'm a skier) mileage appears good too. Mine have 18k (kms) and are looking good.

Cheers..... ;)

chucklee
09/16/2006, 07:52 PM
I just purchased Yokohama Geolander HTS G052, BUT in 265/60/18 which fit fine. Compared to the stock bridgestone, these have dramatically less tire noise, fill out the front wheel well, the back look like they could use a larger size, but since it is four wheel drive, know not to do that. Anyways I think it is a good size for people who do not want to go 285/60/18 and cut the clading.

The down side, braking is worse than the bridgestone. And don't know how it will do in the snow or rain, yet, but the reviews on tirerack seem good. Well, they did say braking was good too. ;)

totallto
09/18/2006, 11:23 AM
I kinda like the VENTURE MT, but I don't know if it will fit on my 18in wheels.
Do any of you guys know?

jimbo
09/21/2006, 03:02 PM
Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60 R18 for me. I've had them a couple months now, and they have been awesome. These are the tires the VX should have come with. The weird thing is when I first got them the TOD would kick in on hard acceleration. But not anymore. Does this thing "learn"?