PDA

View Full Version : possible turbocharge?

spitfire5454
11/01/2005, 12:12 PM
im not sure it this has been covered before but ive been thinking about this for a while and i wanted to get your feed back. i was just wondering if a remote turbo system would be feasable. www.ststurbo.com has them for tacomas. Here are my thoughts on it. could be the background for a good a project with the following problems being addresed.

i know the first problem one would think of would be turbo lag, however an article in turbo mag said it was pretty negligable, and could be over come by setting the turbo for more boost than you wanted to compensate for the loss. in their kit, they use the turbo as a muffler. i dont like that at all. i think it sould be mounted b/t the cat and the muffler, not to mention im not sure i want anything that hot under my gas tank. I also dont like having the air filter under the car, but perhaps one could run a snorkel back to engine compartment.

there kit starts around 4k with about 5psi boost. i think the supercharger would be more gains by far (at lot lower price). i am not saying anyone should actually buy this (they dont even make it for us, big suprise) :rolleyes: . but i think that if some one wants a pretty decent gain in hp, not spent that much, and would use a small turbo with low boost (4-5psi) for low RPM to eleminate lag, then this could actually be a doable project. i dont think it would involve any permanant mods. so you could go back to stock if you wanted. if you ran low boost you wouldnt have to upgrade injectors etc. Thats why the tacoma starts as a bolt on kit. They claim that with mods you can run up to 20psi, with injectors, fuel management etc. now for the best part, with all the used turbos on ebay, i think this could be done for pretty cheap (although im not sure what kinds would be suitalble for our engine). i think the hardest part would be oil supply, im not sure how sts does it. i would love to find an instruction manual. anyways, i just wanted to get some thoughts.

oh obviously, this would be for the VX that sees a lot of street and light offroading. rock crawlers and river crossers might have a problem with this one :p

Triathlete
11/01/2005, 12:17 PM
Another problem to consider...where you going to put it? Water in the intake would not be a good thing. If you off road or live in very wet climates I think the location of the air filter would be of concern.

mbeach
11/01/2005, 04:30 PM
The Mooncraft VX has the turbo mounted underneath the engine towards the front of the engine bay. Unique, but not practical.

I don't hold much stock in GM performance magazines, but this appears to be a pretty interesting solution to the common turbo problems. I wish that I could see some real install pictures though.

morgan-tec
11/01/2005, 05:02 PM
The remote turbo idea is a valad power maker, and with the turbo tecnology there is next to no lag anymore. This type of system is really marketed at street cars since the air intake is so low. This could be done on a VX and pretty eaisly to tell you the truth. You need to understand turbo systems and how to build them first but then it is pretty simple. The only nonreversable mod you would need to make is the oil lines to the turbo and the drain back into your pan. The rest could be taken off or on very eaisly. I have seen these on tha Tacos and they do make some power.

spitfire5454
11/01/2005, 05:48 PM
i wonder what kind of turbo would be best for the VX. im assuming since the the max boost youd go on the supercharger is 5, the same would apply to turbo psi. it would be cool if you could just make an old stock VR4, stealth, (etc) turbo work, and limit the boost. you could make a kit for cheap :p

by the way, i just noticed this was talked about some time ago here, and ironically i have the same thoughts that he did about the placement and snorkle.

morgan-tec
11/01/2005, 08:12 PM
I was going to use a Garrett T3 super 60 on my Axiom before i decided to go S/C. You need to pair the turbo A.R. and turbine size to the engine displacment for correct spool and boost curve.

MZ-N10
11/01/2005, 09:37 PM
we do have a pretty big motor. i dont really think turbo lag would be a HUGE problem unless u plan on a huge turbo, like say a greddy t88. but we dont need that much boost anyways. a small t3/t4 hybrid would probably be an excellent choice.

and like morgan-tec says turbo kits are pretty simple....ONLY if u have the know how, and tool to make ur own exhaust and intake manifolds...but if u have the tools and know how, nothing is hard to do :p

-x-
11/02/2005, 06:53 AM
.... i was planning on attempting this round income tax time he some info i have for you guys to toss around.....x

sts info (http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0502_turbo/index.html )

spitfire5454
11/02/2005, 07:43 AM
if you look around on the internet you can find plenty of opinions on this set up. I found a really good discussion on. basically some one did it (not talked about it) and got some really impressive results. he made it, didnt buy it. and it covers a lot of oil issues. check it out.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?threadid=238864&perpage=75&highlight=&pagenumber=1

and

http://khturbo.net/rmtz24/RMTZ24.html