PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question...

ChryLaser
04/05/2003, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone,
Well I am graduating from college and now must move 4 years worth of junk from Purdue(Indiana) back to NYC. I know the VX doesnt have a tow rating but would it be safe to put a hitch on and tow one of the small uhaul trailers? Itd have a matress, TV, computer, stereo and some furniture. I dont want to do anything to damage the VX but renting a truck and towing the VX is way too expensive. Thanks for your opions in advance.

Dave

tomdietrying
04/05/2003, 02:16 PM
As far as the tranny is concerned, there should be no problem. The problem comes from the short wheel base. The shorter the wheel base the harder it is to control the sway of the trailer. This makes jackknifing easier.

There are a lot of VXs with hitches put on them. I think most people pull a small trailer to and from HomeDepot. Just remember highway speeds make the sway much more.

Check out www.tonemonday.com He has a nicest looking hitch for sale for the VX.

>>>Fixed link....WSG

Joe_Black
04/05/2003, 06:41 PM
Think of the VX in the same terms of the Trooper RS. I've towed a 16' equipment trailer with a tractor and bush hog behind my RS with no problems. The short wheelbase makes for better maneuvering of the trailer too. A good trailer shouldn't give you any problems but the short wheelbase will make a bad trailer more noticeable. As for capacity, stay within 5000lbs and less than 500lbs on the tongue and you'll be in good shape.

SPAZZ
04/07/2003, 10:07 AM
But, only if the hitch is rated for that class of weight!!!

Tone
04/07/2003, 10:12 AM
The hitch I offer (in stock and ready to ship) can handle the 5K - the Dalan that is available although a Class III, is only capable of handling 3500 lbs due to it’s low hanging design.

David Wiltshire
04/07/2003, 10:20 AM
Hi Tone,
Do you have any pictures of the tow bars I need to fit one and can not get one in the U.K.
How much are they with shipping
Best regards
David Wiltshire