PDA

View Full Version : S.Florida peeps aka Hurricane Survivors

volume311
10/25/2005, 05:04 PM
Any one make it? I just got my power back, which is more than I can say for the rest of dade county. My parent's place is in Aventura, so the power got back quick. Any one in Boca, how's the damage there? They show zilch about it on the news, all I know is FAU closed till monday.

Talked to my manager, he said our bank got tore up pretty bad in Boca. If i can find an open gas station tomorrow, I'll drive up there and check on my apartment next to the university.

I drove through downtown Ft.Lauderdale the morning after on the way home, some building had windows missing from the first to the top floor. Pretty muc looked like a bomd got dropped on it

BTW. One of my neighbors door's litterally blew out of the wall :eek: and there are several, million dollar boats (talkin +80 feet) in the lake behind my house that got torn off their docks and drifted loose in the corner. A small 35 footer sank and another got loose and is in the bushes.

Bantan
11/02/2005, 07:49 AM
Hey Gang its been a while since I posted, been busy getting settled in here in Florida since my move from NYC. This hurricane thing is a nightmare, no electricity for 3 days, no gas, no water and all that other stuff we take for granted. My VX sustained considerable damage (in my eyes) because the parts needed may be hard to find. The hondas and toyotas parked next to my VX had trees sitting on them, but there is an abundance of parts to fix those vehicles.
As if that was not enough, the roof of my building caved in last night due to rain, 1 week after the hurricane. I live in a golf course community most of the hundreds of trees were destroyed, the Condo association had an entire week to fix the damaged roof before the rain came again, but instead they worked on restoring the Golf course. That pisses me off, this could have been avoided (just venting a bit). I had recently moved in and renovated my condo with new Hardwood floors, Kitchen cabinets, fixtures, furniture, etc which are now destroyed in the aftermath of the Hurricane.The fire department came to evacuate and condemn the building last night. One can hear the water dripping inside the walls. I can tell you guys a whole lot more, but not trying to make a come back to my VX family site like this. Yeah I know I should'nt complain I'm alive, one of my neighbors is not so lucky the ceiling in his bedroom caved in, killing him in his sleep.

transio
11/02/2005, 07:58 AM
This hurricane thing is a nightmare Welcome to Florida!!! :D

EDIT: Crap, just read the second half of your post!!! **** man, very sorry to hear about the damage to your VX and condo!!! :( Is it insured? Any idea if you'll get back your investment into the place? I'd be PISSED if I were in your shoes!!!! :mad:

PS - I won't have electricity for another 3 weeks. The transformer that powers my place is lying in my front yard, attached to the remainders of the light pole that held it up.

transio
11/02/2005, 08:02 AM
By the way, I took a bunch of pictures post-Wilma and uploaded them here:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16715

Here are some of the pics of a tree that just barely missed my VX!!! :eek:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18443&stc=1
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18444&stc=1
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18445&stc=1

And here's my transformer.. LOL!

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18447&stc=1

Bantan
11/02/2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Steve,
I tried calling you but the phones are still wacky. I got in touch with 2 other VX owners in the area, Chris and Mikel, they both have minor damage to their VX's and some damage to their homes, but are in good health.

We should have a post Wilma meet and compare VX battle scars, what do y'all think?

transio
11/02/2005, 01:22 PM
Eek, not sure if I wanna see a bunch of bruised up VXes! :(

Maybe once our lives are back in order!

Anita
11/02/2005, 01:43 PM
Mercer, Im so sorry that happened to you!! Yikes!! The weather has truly been unkind to so many.

Cyrk
11/02/2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah I know I should'nt complain I'm alive, one of my neighbors is not so lucky the ceiling in his bedroom caved in, killing him in his sleep.
WOW, so sorry... be careful out there. Feels like the end of times... sure hope not.

mbeach
11/02/2005, 04:25 PM
I woke up this morning and it was 10 below zero -but I'll take that over a hurricane any day.

I'm glad to hear that you all are getting things picked up and your lives back on track.
I was in the 82d Airborne Division throughout the 90's, when hurricane Andrew hit we were sent down (to Miami) to help perform security and cleanup operations -the devastation was incredible.

I feel for all of you, and I hope that things get better quickly.

transio
11/02/2005, 05:16 PM
I was here during Andrew. Wow. It's amazing how fast we got back on our feet this time. Not nearly as much devastation, but you can see the preparedness has improved tremendously.

nocturnalVX
11/02/2005, 11:53 PM
:freek:
I'm glad to hear that all of your VehiCROSSes got through this storm with "only" minor damage, and that you all are doing OK (as well as you can under those circumstances I'm sure). Transio... all I can say is that your VX has one hell of a guardian angel! I'd hate to have seen such a sweet Proton get crushed by a tree. Good luck, all of you, with getting your lives back in order.
Best wishes, Gill T.

Bantan
11/03/2005, 12:10 PM
My non Vx owning buddies from up North call me just to ask if my VX is OK.

Anita
11/03/2005, 01:52 PM
My non Vx owning buddies from up North call me just to ask if my VX is OK.

sounds like you have wise and caring friends.... ;)