PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt and Fluids

Dare2Dream
10/23/2005, 12:10 PM
I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help with them:

1. I was wondering what the best place is to buy the serpentine belt. I got the serpentine belt from Napa for $40 which seems a bit steep. Checked pepboys and their price was higher. I don't want to get the Goodyear Gator since it is louder at high rpms.

2. Also, i've checked around and found the best deal on synthetic Mobil 1 ATF to be $6.19/quart and Mobil 1 geal oil to be $8.19/quart at Autozone. Does this sound like a good price or can i buy the fluids cheaper.

3. I've read that a good pump to use while changing the fluids is the valvoline pump that works with the drill. I was wondering where i could find one of these.

4. I know that the transfer case and differential fluids are simple drain and fill. However, since i've never done this, i wanted to know if there is a guide for this (to point me to the drain and fill locations). Any pictures would be even better.

5. After changing the fluids, is there anything special that needs to be done to make sure the drain location is sealed and not leaking. Is there any sealant or anything else that needs to be used.

Thanks.

mbeach
10/24/2005, 08:43 AM
1. I was wondering what the best place is to buy the serpentine belt. I got the serpentine belt from Napa for $40 which seems a bit steep. Checked pepboys and their price was higher. I don't want to get the Goodyear Gator since it is louder at high rpms.
That's a fair price -if you want to see steep, inquire at the dealership.

2. Also, i've checked around and found the best deal on synthetic Mobil 1 ATF to be $6.19/quart and Mobil 1 geal oil to be $8.19/quart at Autozone. Does this sound like a good price or can i buy the fluids cheaper.
A bit high, I generally pay $5 a quart for motor oil, $6 for ATF, and $7-8 for gear oil. Considering you're in San Diego, it may be worth it to just pick it up rather than drive around looking to save a few cents.

3. I've read that a good pump to use while changing the fluids is the valvoline pump that works with the drill. I was wondering where i could find one of these.
A hand pump works fine, but a pump is really only necessary on the transmission. You can get a bottle of gear lube to fit with a little persuasion for the T-case and diffs =no pump necessary.

4. I know that the transfer case and differential fluids are simple drain and fill. However, since i've never done this, i wanted to know if there is a guide for this (to point me to the drain and fill locations). Any pictures would be even better.
The drain and fill plugs are pretty self explanitory on the t-case and rear diff. The front diff drain is very small however, and in an odd place. Just look for the smallest bolt on the housing. The head of the bolt faces to the rear of the truck, and is @1.5 inches in front of your crossmember.

5. After changing the fluids, is there anything special that needs to be done to make sure the drain location is sealed and not leaking. Is there any sealant or anything else that needs to be used.
I use teflon thread sealant. Don't overhang the end of the threads though, you don't want it peeling off and gumming up your gears.

Thanks.
That's what we're here for. :rotate:

TechnoPope
10/24/2005, 11:11 AM
It is time to replace my serpentine belt. I was going to get the Goodyear Gator. I was under the impression that the Gator was one of the best available. Do they really make an undesirable noise? Has anyone other than Dare2Dream experienced a problem with their Gator belt?

Moncha
10/24/2005, 11:50 AM
The Gator is actually designed to be quieter than any other belt.. I switched my belt as soon as I got my first VX and have run nothing but for years.. I've never had a noise problem...

Dare2Dream
10/24/2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks mbeach for the invaluable and comprehensive advice!!

Well, i read about the gator being louder at high rpms somewhere online (search). It said it was due to those small dimples/grooves. Never tried it myself. Seems like most of the time the rpms wouldn't be that high, so i don't know if it would make much of a difference.

Does the gator have a longer life compared to the regular belts? What is the advantage of a gator belt over a regular belt?

BTW, anyone know where i can find that valvoline pump that works with the drill so i can use it for the tranny fluid change? Thx.

zadam123
10/24/2005, 04:04 PM
st charles isuzu just quoted me 18 bucks

Moncha
10/24/2005, 04:57 PM
Get it from the horses mouth (http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/cars/gatopoly.html) about the belt.

deermagnet
10/24/2005, 05:08 PM
I bought my first replacement serpentine drive belt at an Isuzu dealer three years ago. #2-90662-900-0. It cost me $18.08 plus tax. My next belt at another Isuzu dealer was about $23 with tax last year.

Mark

SuperDave
10/24/2005, 08:54 PM
My dealer charged me $25.83 last week.

Dare2Dream
10/24/2005, 11:47 PM
I wish i had checked the price for the OEM belt at St. Charles before the weekend. I already installed the Napa belt :( May as well bought the gator for that price :wtfo2:

Moncha, thanks for the enlighting link

Last question, how do i recognize the Transfer case? Where is it located?

Moncha
10/25/2005, 07:31 AM
Under the passenger side, it'll be the big, roundish, silver thing hanging low.

mbeach
10/25/2005, 08:41 AM
My last dealer wanted $53 for a belt -I was excited when I found one at PepBoys for $35. Boy did I get hosed.

What's the P/N for the Goodyear belt?

Dare2Dream
10/25/2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks!

I have also found the belt on isuzuparts.com for $16 :( Don't know how their service is though.

Moncha
10/25/2005, 05:27 PM
Goodyear PolyV GatorBack Part #
4060900 for 2000+
4060895 for 1999

(I've used the 4060895 on both my 1999 and 2000)

DK
11/13/2005, 06:58 PM
When I was in getting the oil changed the other day the tech pointed out that my serpentine belt had a lot of small cracks on the inside. Does this mean it's time to replace it?

Thanks.

Dare2Dream
11/13/2005, 10:17 PM
If the belt has alot of small cracks and you haven't replaced it in the last 25K miles, i'd say change it soon. Better be safe than sorry at the side of the road some night waiting for the tow truck.

It is a very simple job, replaced mine in 5 minutes.

DK
11/15/2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks. It sounds simple. I assume there is some part that I need to loosen to get it off and on.

Ldub
11/15/2005, 08:35 PM
DK, this ought to help:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/belt.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/belt.jpg)

Just put the proper size socket on a ratchet or breaker bar & pull in the direction as in diagram to take tension off the belt.

DK
11/16/2005, 02:20 PM
Great diagram. Thanks.

biju
11/18/2005, 01:13 PM
Just called goodyear for the Gatorback 4060900 belt... They want $74 for it?!!! Just the belt?

Is this right?

-biju.

VehiX
11/18/2005, 01:18 PM
Just called goodyear for the Gatorback 4060900 belt... They want $74 for it?!!! Just the belt?

Is this right?

-biju.

Based on other members posts in this thread I would say that's a bit steep. I can see a slight difference in price from shop to shop (give or take a few bucks) but that seems way higher than what others have payed.

newthings
11/18/2005, 08:33 PM
Try summitracing.com.
Roy

Dare2Dream
11/20/2005, 06:57 PM
Autozone here sells it for high 30s. Check your local autozone.

SveltAxiom
02/10/2006, 02:31 PM
Of course it was for my Axiom but it should be the same for you VXers.