PDA

View Full Version : Snowboards.....what do you ride if you ride?

morgan-tec
10/19/2005, 09:41 PM
Well tonight i am really bored so here is more usless info about me. I have been snowboarding since about 86' and have owned some of the orignal boards of the day from simis to burton air. I pretty much just freeride fast on anything from powder to crappy ice slopes. I do a little terrain park stuff but i like speed more. GPS has tracked me at 40+mph before i got kicked off the mountain. Anways here are my current steeds. They are both outdated but still rip hard. My preseason (I.E.) *****ty snow, board is an orignal Never Summer Mammoth 157mm with Shimano Clicker ultralight bindings. This board recieved a deep scar to the wood from an unfriendly boulder but i could not say good by so i had her patched and she is as good as new. My good snow, board is a Burton Johan 163mm that i love. It has Shimano clicker pro bindings and a Dakine combonation lock leash. I like the stiff clicker boots so i have some killer K2 Yak guide boots that i can ride all weekend in. I also love Oakley so i have a few pairs of their o frame goggles, and burton pants and jackets. Here are some pics:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/boards1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/boards2.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to post pics of your gear and maybe plan a meet for the winter so we can do some riding together.

VehiGAZ
10/20/2005, 06:35 AM
Tone,

Does the rack come with clamps to fit VX crossbars? If so, I'm interested.

And to get back on topic, I just picked up riding after 30 or so years of skiing, and bought myself a Burton Triumph 164 at the end of last season. I love it!!! I'm still skiing on our New England hard-pack ("It ain't ice if it ain't blue!"), but riding when there's some fresh snow on the slopes.

MSHardeman
10/20/2005, 07:49 AM
Morgan-Tec,

Before I moved out to Colorado four years ago I had never seen snow (grew up in South Louisiana), but I picked up snowboarding fairly quickly. I've been riding for four years now, and can go anywhere on the mountain.
I don't have any pictures right now, but my current board is a NeverSummer Premier. I don't remember the length (I think around 175mm), but I LOVE that board. Like you, I also like to go fast, but have never been clocked. The NeverSummer is ultra stable, so I feel comfortable just pointing it down hill and tucking up. The Tech Nine bindings that are mounted on the NS are great. The toe strap on them cups the front of the boot (instead of going across your toes) and gives me unbelievable control of the board. Since the strap is on the end of your boot, and pushes the boot back into the heel cup, if I just think about turning the board does it.

I also own a junky Burton "rock board", an Oxygen (my first board), and a Solomon (can't remember the model right now). I was thinking of learning to ski this year, but I'll definitely still be on my board a lot, so since we're so close to each other we'll have to get together and ride this season.

driver3
10/20/2005, 08:27 AM
I have a '04 Palmer Honeycomb with Salomon bindings and boots... The 04-05 season was my first... I'm still learning but I got out 25+ times last year so this year I expect to jump right in. I have the Buddy pass.. unlimited riding at A-Basin, Keystone, and breck with 10 days in vail.

I'd love to meet up at a mountain, maybe I can get some tips. I basically snowboarded by mysellf all last year (I didn't know too many people here then). I know I could use some advice and probably someone to chase down the hill... There's a guy I work with that has those boards as well as a bunch of other ones, he started snowboarding way back when they wouldn't let you snowboard at the resorts, but he's quite out of shape at the moment but says he'll try to go this year.

autox-racer
10/20/2005, 09:20 AM
GPS... I just got a Garmin 60cs. I love it. I can't wait to try it snowboarding. Just one of they many uses I think I have found for it. My race car will enjoy hauling it around next year for track maps and velocity plots. I might try to use it next month when I go to skip barber Laguna seca... which would also include altitude :)

Have you had any problems with getting satellite coverage in a backpack or pocket on a mountain?

I just got a new board last year: Burton Custom with ride MIG bindings and Salomon boots... Spread the wealth. I tried several Burton boards during a demo day and this was by far the best for my style. I would highly recommend a demo day before buying.

AlaskaVX
10/20/2005, 12:42 PM
I have a Burton Canyon with the Burton step in bindings (with backs).
Been snowboarding about.... JESUS! 9 years now, where did the time go.

morgan-tec
10/20/2005, 05:52 PM
I have a Yakima Big Powderhound 3046 rack system that I'd like to sell - anyone need it?

Where the heck did this fit into the snowboard thread?????????????

CSTYLES
10/20/2005, 10:15 PM
Nitro Titan 157
Morrow Clutch 154
DC Terrain (BOA) Boots

As you all know, on the eastcoast we have small mountains and crappy snow. I originally bought the VX 'cuz I needed a 4x4 to get to the mountain on snow days. No big slopes, so speed means you'll spend the day riding the lift. I spend most of time in the park. This season I'll be bangin' my 3's all 4 ways.

VehiGAZ
10/21/2005, 07:00 AM
I'll back autox-racer on the value of demo'ing. The wife and I demo'ed Burtons last year at Heavenly (I tried the Air and Triumph) and I tried a Santa Cruz (don't remember the model) at Kirkwood. I learned a lot in those two days!! The most important thing was what I wanted in a board - float in the powder and stability on the hard pack. I also learned that the techniques I developed on my crappy 5150 beginner's rental board were hurting me on a proper, responsive board. Anyway, the Triumph was the best one for me, so I bought a new but roughed-up-in-the-showroom specimen on eBay for half of retail.

WormGod
10/21/2005, 07:22 AM
Up until a few years ago I had a Burton 350. I think I got it back in around '87-'88'ish. I recall well cause I was in 8th grade and the board was WAY too large for me, heh. I cut up like there was no tomorrow. AFter my bad accident I didnt do it for a while cause I didnt think I could with my foot and ankle being turned into pudding. I eventually made it back out to try and sure enough, I couldnt. Spent 3 days in the lodge getting a good depressed drunken binge going while my friends blew up powder the whole time.

Sold my board last year to a girl I work with. She apparently has a few boards. I still have a surfboard though. I am sure I cant do that anymore either, but I wont give up hope on that until I try. ;)

VehiX
10/21/2005, 08:23 AM
I ride a Burton a.59.

I've had this for years now and it's held up well considering what I put it through every year! :eek:

I'm really looking forward to riding this winter. The VX is a nice vehicle to get me up north during the harsh, but fun, winter months here in New Hampshire :cool:

Here's a few shots of it (I know, it needs to be waxed BIG TIME)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/burton_snowboard2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/burton_snowboard2.jpg)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/burton_snowboard2_1_.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/burton_snowboard2_1_.jpg)

pbkid
10/21/2005, 10:21 AM
burton cascade all the way! i love burton ill swear by it till something better comes out (aka hell freezes over).

SPAZZ
10/22/2005, 07:19 PM
K2 FatBob

morgan-tec
10/22/2005, 10:44 PM
I am definatly up for a meet and ride session with you guys, lets keep in touch on this and try to plan at least one outing.

CSTYLES
11/16/2005, 08:30 AM
Killington opens this weekend and my VX will be in that general area from 18th until ??? . Any VT people going to "hit the slopes" (or depending on the conditions slope singular)?

VehiGAZ
11/16/2005, 02:27 PM
Killy's opening late this year, huh? ;-)

We will probably head up to Mt Snow for a day. We have a group of friends that rents a house here for the whole season, so the first trip up is usually just to shuttle as much gear up as possible. I doubt we'll make it up to Killy to get on the slopes, though.

Have some good runs for me!

biju
11/16/2005, 04:06 PM
Lib Technologies : 172 : Litigator

Nothing special really. Gets me all over the mountain, and that's what's important!

-biju.

Amack76
11/16/2005, 11:36 PM
k2 fat bob 166
clicker ultra slims

morgan-tec
11/17/2005, 07:17 PM
So now that there is good snow here in Co and there are like five resorts open who is up for a meet to go ride some powder?

SPAZZ
11/19/2005, 01:21 PM
Breckenridge???Best I found so far(although Japan has some steep slopes on their Volcanic mountains). Please no Thnomath or Athpen...although crustedbutt is good but only later after Christmas if you stay up high with the triple black diamonds.

morgan-tec
11/19/2005, 07:32 PM
I went to Loveland last week and today and it is awsome snow. I rode powder at least 1' deep for most of the day. They have almost the entire mountain open.

CSTYLES
11/19/2005, 09:15 PM
Breckenridge, voted best halfpipe in North America. Dec. 13 - 18th Grand Prix of Snowboarding, an Olympic qualifying event. The pipe will be perfectly shaped; world class riders, basically throwing down their olympic runs. It would definitely be worth the road-trip.

morgan-tec
11/19/2005, 09:23 PM
I can make that if you want to go, let me know.

VehiGAZ
11/20/2005, 09:03 AM
Lucky dogs! I was in at Mt Snow in VT yesterday and they were making snow on the main run on the front face. Everythign else is brown. :-(

On the flip-side, I scored a set of 04/05 Burton Cartel Habanos for the same price as I paid for new 04/05 Burton Mission bindings from the Burton outlet. So anyone interested in the Missions? They are 100% new-in-box (I literally haven't even opened it), medium size, in black. PM if you are interested.

Um, I guess I should really post this in the stuff for sale forum...

morgan-tec
11/20/2005, 09:24 AM
No worries man, congrats on the killer deal on your new bindings.

morgan-tec
11/25/2005, 11:56 PM
So who is up for a meet to go ridin? I am goinin up almost every weekend so i am pretty flexable.

MSHardeman
11/28/2005, 08:19 AM
We got 13" here in Aspen/Snowmass on Satruday night, so yesterday was a great day on the mountain until.....I hit a rock, HARD, and ended up putting a huge core shot in my NeverSummer T5 Premier. The guy at the shop said that the board is done, and I'll need to get a new one. I have a guy in Telluride that has performed miracles on boards before (including rebuilding the front of a friends carving board that got ripped off in a head on collision), so I'm going to get it to him to see if he can save my baby. If not, I'll be in the market for a new board. I'll probably stick with NS unless anyone has any really good suggestions. The NS is the most stable board I've been on. It can carve a mean turn, zip in and out of the trees, and hit mach 2 on the groomers. Best board I've ever owned, and I'll be sad if it can't be saved.

With all of that said, we're supposed to get snow all week here, so this weekend should be killer if anyone wants to head this way. If not, I have a couple of other boards that I can ride, so I would love to make a road trip to meet up for a little VX boarding.

morgan-tec
12/30/2005, 08:34 PM
So seriously who is up for a meet, i am up at loveland every weekend since they opened and a couple sick.........cough....cough....days so far this season. I am open to other resors but i am not spending more than $70 for a ticket.

CSTYLES
12/30/2005, 09:39 PM
I wish I had your luck. Over here in the east it has decided to rain on us, what little snow we had has turned into dehydrated mashed potatoes. I can't seem to outrun the rain, would need to go to all the way to Canada. I'm up for a roadtrip to CO, any Motel 6 near you...

morgan-tec
12/30/2005, 10:17 PM
Sure do man, $39.95 a night. and the snow is awsome, the weather has been very mild this year. I have been up at least four days that i rode all day in a long sleve t-shirt and no coat, sunshine and no wind. Its like March weather and December snow.