PDA

View Full Version : need help with wierd clunk noise

spitfire5454
10/19/2005, 10:25 AM
basically, my speaker box is a little to large for the cargo area, so with the tail gate closed the box is always putting pressure on it. When ever i go over a bump there is a big "CLUNK" from the rear. i take the box out it doesnt make the noise. i guessing the pressure on the door is giving the door latch some space to move thus resulting in the clunk. Anyone know of anyway to make it go away, that doesnt invove shaving the box. Im kinda hoping i can put some foam tape b/t the latch and the part it latches to. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

ironically, i wont be able to fix until december. ive started medical school on the island of st. maarten in the carribbean. Ive been without my VX for 1.5 months now, and will be with out it for the next 19 months. Im going through withdrawls as ive been reduced to driving a 94 suzuki sidekick. there are however 2 VXs down here. The good news that i will have an extremely low milege VX when i get back :)

AlaskaVX
10/19/2005, 11:39 AM
I get a clunk over bumps from my speaker box as well, but it only happens if the box gets air and then it comes down with a..... clunk :eek: =Happens over speed bumps but not during every day driving.

You may also want to check on your shocks to make sure they are in good order.

pbkid
10/19/2005, 12:44 PM
yea i get the same problem when i have my box in. when i hit bumps it moves up and down. generally only over bigger bumps because my sub is pretty heavy, but yea. try bungeeing or bolting it down and see if it still does it.

ezem1y
10/19/2005, 01:34 PM
My clunk comes from the rear seats in the up-right position, lay them down and no clunk.

driver3
10/19/2005, 04:04 PM
Mine comes from the lug nut wrench bouncing around in the little compartment on the right... my towel must have gotten dislodged somehow, but I keep forgetting to fix it....

spitfire5454
10/19/2005, 06:30 PM
thanks guys, but im pretty sure its the door and not the box moving. if i take off the back plastic cover, the box fits fine and it doesnt make the noise, but with it on it does b/c its pushing the door out. i searched and found the thread about adjusting the latch. So when i get back ill give it a try, but ill also try the others just to be sure. Thanks guys

Syntek VX
10/20/2005, 05:49 AM
What you are hearing is most likely the plastic on the door flexing and popping back out. I had that problem with my old box before I went with the kicker L5 that took up less space. The sound echos through the spare tire space and sounds like one heck of a clunk. I thought my rear end was going at first because when ever I would accelerate or go over a bump the box put pressure on the plasic it would make the noise. You can try putting some bracing between the spare and the plastic to make it more ridged, but the best solution would be to build a box sized for your VX that doesn't rub. Hope this helps.