PDA

View Full Version : Pep Boys in Aurora, CO said that Van Eyes was dropped?

IsuZOOM
04/04/2003, 08:35 AM
Finally drag my butt over there to look at this thing / buy it and the mgr tells me they don't carry it anymore! Has anyone seen it elsewhere / online?

SPAZZ
04/04/2003, 08:55 AM
I had no prob getting some from Napa or Kragen or Pep boys. I had to special order from Napa and Kragen, plus got military discount. Good luck in getting some.:confused:

Moncha
04/04/2003, 09:19 AM
Go to your local, friendly, neighborhood RV accessories store and see if they have anything of the like...
You can try a google search also but they are rare.

Good Luck..

edyavno
04/04/2003, 11:52 AM
Strauss (http://www.straussauto.com) has them, but they seem Tri-state area centric. It maybe the same for other shops: they are not called "Van Eyes" there, but simply rear Wide Angle Lense, or something similar.

Navigator
04/04/2003, 01:23 PM
I tend to buy things in pairs, so i have a spare collecting dust. Email me your shipping address and I can get one out to you via UPS, that is if you haven't allready got one by now.

IsuZOOM
04/04/2003, 02:12 PM
Terrific! YGM

skullcap
04/04/2003, 08:50 PM
Yep>

I've tried Pep Boys, Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts. Everyone says they remember carrying them but nobody seems to have them in stock or in their catalogs.

I found a NAPA truck parts shop in southeast Atlanta that can order them from their catalog. "Wide Angle Rearview Static Mounted Lens by Van Eyes" Still cheaper than a camera and monitor, but YIKES, they want $22 versus the $10 previously posted when Pep-Boys carried them.

skullcap
04/05/2003, 10:37 AM
BTW- Does anyone here know where I can find that nifty Van Eyes template that was once posted either in here or at Club VMag?

I need to know which size lense to buy and the cutting diagram would also be of great help, otherwise, I thought I might just use the arc of the spare tire well cover as a guide.

Moncha
04/05/2003, 11:21 AM
That would be mine I believe,,

Moncha Mods (http://www.moncha.com/vx_mods_frame.html)
Click on the VanEyes title in the upper right of the frame.
I used the 8x6 size if I remember right.

IsuZOOM
04/06/2003, 08:54 PM
Went to two RV shops in the area, both had similar offerings, basically plastic sheets in 2-3 sizes with concentric circles that promised to basically warp the vision to offer better visibility, is that what Van Eyes is? Prices were $12-20. Thanks for the suggestion!

Moncha
04/06/2003, 09:25 PM
Yep, it's a basic fresnel lens only on a poly sheet. That's a pretty good price too.

edyavno
04/07/2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Moncha
That would be mine I believe,,

Moncha Mods (http://www.moncha.com/vx_mods_frame.html)
Click on the VanEyes title in the upper right of the frame.
I used the 8x6 size if I remember right.
Scott,
what is the benefit of cutting out the half-moon shaped peice? I'm using the entire 6x8 lense, and it works fine. I think I can see cars behind me much better (using the rear-view mirror too). At the same time it's not too obtrusive. Am I missing out on something?

Moncha
04/07/2003, 08:38 AM
I cut mine down for I only use it when parallel park and I want to see how close I am to the car directly behind me.. I see just fine out the back otherwise..

IsuZOOM
04/07/2003, 09:00 AM
I'm planning on installing a camera, so this may just be a stop-gap measure until that point. So I may or may not cut it down, I guess we'll see if the wife complains about the big sheet first :)

skullcap
04/21/2003, 06:51 PM
My search is over! :jump:

Thanks to Carlymac for puttin' ideas in my head, I found a source for the wide-angle rear-view film widely known as Van Eyes:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=3987&src=SRCH&tcode=37

$11.99 plus 5.50 s&h

(Pocket change compared to an investment in a back-up camera. I'd rather do a Power Vault and sun-roof, first).

IsuZOOM
04/22/2003, 08:11 AM
You may want to check with any local RV shops first, they all carry these things.